VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+27
Vannin Ken
Rick's 66 Chevy Van
jfox
dix
wylee
Big W
ScottyJones
SteelyVan
Scotts_A100
VANagain
Leftcoast65
rustybug13
sandyvan
back2thewoods
donivan65
millwright71
G-Man
Digz
vanny
Wheelie
the_surfing_guy
HandiVanMan
Twinpilot001
Gothboy
Joe Van
Axlejack
Dirtstar1
31 posters

Recycling a 65 sportvan custom.

rustybug13
    rustybug13

Number of posts : 209
    Registration date : 2012-07-28

Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 5 Empty Re: Recycling a 65 sportvan custom.

Post by rustybug13 Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:11 am

Wouldn't the peirod correct plates be those sweet blue with yellow lettered ones? I'm just wanting to get a set of custom plates.
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Number of posts : 282
    Registration date : 2013-05-24

Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 5 Empty Re: Recycling a 65 sportvan custom.

Post by Dirtstar1 Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:47 am

Good question, I thought black and yellow plates ran till 67
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:56 am

Here you go. Looks like the blue and yellow began in 1969. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_California

Last edited by vanny on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:57 am

I got up early this morning while my girl went to the gym, I got a work out of my own. I installed the master and pulled the rest of the steel lines. Then bent up the right front brake line and the rear brake line to the junction. At that point ill put a union and install a new straight section to the rear flex line.

Things to look for, metal shavings in your fittings.
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 5 Null-78

I usually buy my brake line too long then cut it to length. That means I gotta re flare one end.
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 5 Null-79

Right front line finished.
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 5 Null-80

I took some time off to get some attends done but ill get more brake pics up when I get home.
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:00 pm

Rolling along nicely!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:00 pm

After nearly 8 hours of climbing in out and under the van I'm sore. Lol the brakes are finally road worthy. At least the hydraulics are. The pads and springs looked ok for awhile. So I didn't change them. The drums looked new inside.

You guys could have warned me that in order to get the front wheel cylinders out you gotta take apart the whole dang front end! Lol this did expose the fact that my king pins are wiped out! Any cool remedy for that? I never did little king pins. Do I need a special ream?

Here is the brake routing with the double master
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 5 Null-82
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:13 pm

If you do a search on Topics for "kingpins" there should be some info cause kingpins seem to be something these old girls need to have replaced after all these years.

Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:24 pm

Sounds good, it's loose, not unsafe. So ill prolly knock out a few more essentials first.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:42 pm

Seems like forever ago I did my brake lines. looks good !! A way to get rid of those annoying wheel cylinders is get yourself some disc brake brackets and some stopping power.
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:10 pm

Digz, in due time. We just need it to move and stop. Lol if this helps, I found a cool head start to the disk brakes as I was messing with the wheel cylinder.

This is a 7/16-20 banjo bolt, and a earls front stainless brake line for a jeep TJ (wrangler)
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 5 Null-83

Here it is mounted at the frame
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 5 Null-84

And here it is mounted at the wheel.
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 5 Null-85

That should help when it comes time to put a set of calipers on.

Strangely enough. All three brake lines were slightly longer but had the right configuration at each end.
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:48 pm

After messing with my girlfriends honda trail bike I got her to help me bleed the brakes. Now that that's over I spent some time putting the radiator back in. Everything aligned like factory. I got what autozone listed for cut to fit hoses and cut to fit I did. The bottom hose is nearly perfect. The top hose was an arm wrestling match. I won! So we filled the old girl up with plain water and started her up. She ran for about 10 min before the thermostat opened. Then burped up some water and we shut her off, topped her off again and put the cap on it. This time we ran her for about 30 min. Revved her up a bit and the tail pipe was warding off Mosquitos with all the smoke. Soon the smoke lessened and the dead hole picked up to a small miss. I'd say the rings are seating again. The more we play with this old van the more we are convinced she hasn't run since the late 90's. using the laser temp gauge I checked several surfaces. With the gun mainly pointing on the stat housing, she sat at 157-161 religiously. The upper tank maintained 90 and the lower hose 115. So we shut her off and checked her over one last time for leaks. The coolant system is solid! As for the rear main seal,.... Not so much. 45min of total run time left a spot in my driveway about 1 foot in diameter. Damn! That's why the chassis is so well lubed.... Well anyways, we made our first objective. Run on her own power. I still need to lube the throttle points and put that all back together. The maiden voyage is coming very soon!

Upper radiator hose was a bitch!
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 5 Null-86
    Lower radiator hose fit like OE
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 5 Null-87
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:12 pm

It's great to hear you're making excellent progress in a short amount of time. Radiator looks all snug as a bug in it's new home. Congrats on another success!

Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:38 pm

Thanks vanny, it just won't get done if I don't do it! Lol tomorrow ill make a few laps around the block and then this week ill stop by the DMV!
    millwright71
    millwright71

Number of posts : 531
    Registration date : 2012-05-28

Post by millwright71 Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:15 am

There is a list being made of guys wanting the disc brake brackets from M1dadio. Once he gets 10 then he will have them made. If you are planning them in the future, may want to jump on the list. Not sure how many he has right now. I am one of them. LOL

Tom
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:45 pm

Thanks for the invite. I've got awhile before I commit to that. And honestly, ill prolly make my own brackets.
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:16 pm

The gas tank is coming along nicely. Here is a screen shot. Looks like ill be cutting out the parts tonight. I'm waiting in line at the plasma table.

Here is the top. It's lowered in the middle so the sender doesn't hit the floor.
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 5 Null-89

Here is the bottom. I put a sump in it so it can be run nearly dry.
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 5 Null-88

Here is my universal sender. Ill plug that and the lines into the sender plate I made.

Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 5 Null-90

If you look closely at the edges of the tank you will notice the whole perimeter has a .250 offset for a fillet weld. That's how ill keep it fuel tight.
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:32 pm

Well the gas tank made it from vertual to reality today.
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 5 Null-92

The plasma sure make life easy.
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 5 Null-93

It's starting to look like the cartoon drawing I made.
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 5 Null-91
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:20 am

Looking good man! What guage sheet you making that out of? Looks pretty beefy.
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:52 am

I'm using .075 thick steel. It will be almost twice as heavy as stock, but mostly cause its bigger. I like the bigger stuff cause I can wire weld it. And if need be I don't have to worry about a puncture.
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:51 pm

And Vwalla! One 25 gallon tank!
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 5 Null-94

With a .250 offset I can get a full penetration weld around all the seams.

Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 5 Null-95
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:01 pm

Looks great...I'm anxious to see how it's going to look mounted under there! Thanks for the pics, keep 'em coming!

Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:28 pm

Boy oh boy, me too. I need to mount it tomorrow to locate the filler neck. Also need to make new straps. I might do that tomorrow night. Need to get some foam rubber to put between the tank and the floor. So I still have some work ahead of me.
    Dirtstar1
    Dirtstar1

Post by Dirtstar1 Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:32 pm

The moment you've all been waiting for, the gas tank test fit.
    Here it is from far away held in by the floor jack.
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 5 Null-97

Here it is a bit closer
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 5 Null-98

As you can see I used up all the space! Lol
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 5 Null-99

Here is the front of the tank. I'm tempted to add more tank. 
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 5 Null-100

This is. The last place I gotta tune on. Looks like ill have to build a recess in the tank for the filler hose connection. Next time you see it ill be putting fuel in it. 
    Recycling a 65 sportvan custom. - Page 5 Null-96
    millwright71
    millwright71

Number of posts : 531
    Registration date : 2012-05-28

Post by millwright71 Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:03 pm

That looks really good! This would be a great help to those in need of a tank. I am sure you wouldn't have a hard time selling them.
    Wheelie
    Wheelie

Number of posts : 322
    Registration date : 2013-02-22

Post by Wheelie Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:04 pm

tight fit, looks good!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:52 pm