VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
Gothboy
RodStRace
wildbillinva
7 posters

dumb question

wildbillinva

Number of posts : 134
    Registration date : 2011-02-26

dumb question Empty dumb question

Post by wildbillinva Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:26 am

i'm having oiling issues with my '66 club wagon. when i took the valve cover off, and started it up, i'm only getting oil at the back one and a half cylinders at the rockers. my dumb question is this. can i get the oil pan off with the 240 still bolted to the crossmember, so i can check and or replace the oil pump, or will i have to unbolt the motor mounts and jack up the engine, or support the engine and remove the crossmember? any advice is welcomed.
    wildbillinva Question
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

dumb question Empty Re: dumb question

Post by RodStRace Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:28 am

What's the pressure?
    I ask because if you have good pressure but no top end oiling, a new pump won't fix it.

dumb question Engine_I6-02
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:56 am

Most definitely check your oil pressure like ^ said. Low oil pressure could mean many things from too light a weight oil, to really worn bearings to crappy pump to you name it. Best place to start.
    wildbillinva

Post by wildbillinva Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:18 am

i don't know what oil pressure i have, just a light. i'm using 10w-30 oil.
    the oil light started coming on when i'm stitting at a light idleing. i started hearing the lifters (more than normal) lately, that's why i pulled the valve cover. it's not the original motor, oil filter sticks straight out.
    so i'm not running the correct filter. i just keep replacing it with what was on it when i got it. i've been thinking about just replacing the motor and be done with it, but it does run pretty good. i just don't want to pour money into this motor, and end up replacing it down the road. i've not done much engine work, so i have alot to learn.
    wildbillinva
    Bluelemon
    Bluelemon

Number of posts : 139
    Registration date : 2008-07-10

Post by Bluelemon Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:14 pm

Bill,
    Get it ready for Carlisle. There will be 4 Early Econolines in Building T this year and we'll have a 20 X 20 Tent on the Showfield !
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:18 pm

I've changed a pump without removing the crossmember but its tricky. Been a while but I think I loosened all the crossmember bolts and motor mount bolts then jacked the motor up. You get just enuf clearance to drop the pan down far enuf to get inside and unbolt the pickup tube,then the pan can be removed to take the pump out. Again,going from memory cuz it's been a while. I may have removed the motor mount bolts completely,don't recall.
    Murdock
    Murdock

Number of posts : 313
    Registration date : 2010-12-29

Post by Murdock Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:31 pm

I just swapped my pan a couple months ago. Take the nuts off the motor mount to cross member, jack up the motor, then put a wood block between the bottom of the mount and the cross member on each side. Pull the jack and have at it. Its in the Ford shop manual.
    wildbillinva

Post by wildbillinva Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:52 am

thanks for the response guys. I think i'm going to try a heavier weight oil and get a 90° filter adapter, so I can use the right filter. I did a search but didn't have any luck for a part number for the 90° adapter for a 240. by any chance, does someone know what the part number is? jim, she is still not ready for a road trip to Carlisle yet. i'm planning on coming up for the day on Saturday this year, if nothing pops up. see you guys in june.
    wildbillinva
    Murdock
    Murdock

Number of posts : 313
    Registration date : 2010-12-29

Post by Murdock Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:22 am

I have an extra one, I'll send you a pm.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:28 am

something to check!!!!!!!!!!!! Ive had same before - when u check oil pressuer - may be good as u will measure it at block area- where the pressure is taken from . try is still bad upper end pressure ?? pull front timing / water pump covers off - look @ block front area. Look for a/ some?? press in welch plugs that may have popped out? Those areas are the =oil galley plugs. if 1 has popped out?? will have that problem!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 6:57 am