VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Fuel Pump--Dumb Question

RF Man
    RF Man

Number of posts : 120
    Registration date : 2014-03-14

Fuel Pump--Dumb Question Empty Fuel Pump--Dumb Question

Post by RF Man Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:22 am

I'm putting my E-pup back together after taking everything apart and I working on the fuel system. My dumb question is---on the fuel pump with the filter canister on top, which port is input(from tank) and output(to carb). I cant remember and I having difficulty getting the pump to send fuel to the carb. Everything is new--tank, sending unit, pump, carb,lines,etc. I've always thought that the lowest port on a fuel pump goes to the tank. I'm not sure this is the case on these pumps with the filter canister on top. One port is threaded, the low port, which I thought went to the carb---so this contradicts my thinking. I could have a bad new pump----it wouldn't surprise me. I'm starting to see a very high failure rate on all these junk Chinese parts from these parts houses. I've already experienced a junk dizzy, junk rotor, junk fuel sending unit, junk control module, just to name a few on this build. These Chinese parts have almost reached a point where they are not even usable. I'm chasing problems that shouldn't exist.
    THX Mike
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Fuel Pump--Dumb Question Empty Re: Fuel Pump--Dumb Question

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:15 am

some fuel pumps? had a push on hose fitting (on 1 inlet!!) that one is from tank! The other side (to carb) was for a metal hose to carb. Now -if yours has 2 push on hose barbs on the pump- just put your finger over 1 side & actuate the pump! If you get suction - thats the tank end! Pressure is carb end!
    RF Man
    RF Man

Post by RF Man Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:55 am

Good advice, just tough to do from under the truck. The new pump I have has 3/8 barb ports on both sides. The old pump did have a metal feed to the carb, but I pitched both the fuel pump and metal line a while back. The line wasn't going to work on my new carb and it was full of gunk. I'm going to rig in an electric fuel pump to check that my new sending unit and new line from the tank are OK. Hoping someone with one of these fuel pumps will chime in and give me the skinny.
    THX Mike
    RF Man
    RF Man

Post by RF Man Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:51 am

Well if anyone's interested, the port with the threaded end is output(to carb). Having said that, let's add defective junk Chinese new fuel pump to my list of parts that didn't work out of the box.
    Mike
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:29 pm

Well I hear you on junk parts, Ive recently had to have the radiator replaced under warranty, 1 year old and leaking at the solder joints. Also the heater control valve was 1 month past the warranty and it was leaking so I had to buy another one.

Then on my mustang I had a fuel pump that was only 6 months old and failed to pump, jeeshh!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 11:41 pm