VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

auto tranny leakin baddddd

sparky

Number of posts : 195
    Registration date : 2010-01-05

auto tranny leakin baddddd Empty auto tranny leakin baddddd

Post by sparky Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:03 pm

How big of a job to remove autoglide tranny from 65 g van and replace ALL seals, something I can tackle in the garage or should I let the pros do it, cant really pay the shop to remove the tranny.....are there other things the shop should do while the tranny is out ?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

auto tranny leakin baddddd Empty Re: auto tranny leakin baddddd

Post by donivan65 Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:14 pm

Where is it leaking from? The pan, dipstick tube, cooling lines, modulator,,selector shaft, speedometer or rear seal ?,,,those you can fix laying under the van,,,,,now the front pump and seal has to have the trans taken out.....
    sparky

Number of posts : 195
    Registration date : 2010-01-05

Post by sparky Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:27 pm

I think all of the above, a guy has the van for sale, said he parked it due to a seriously bad tranny leak 4 years ago ...said the front was leakin, and side I am thinkin probably everything is leakin.... it was a mess under there ! van was pretty darn rough..but SUPER COOL !!..... would cost thousands to restore but not alot to just drive and enjoy (if trans is still good)......great yard art fer sure!
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:35 am

http://www.autotran.us/pgparts1.html
    looks to supply seal kits and overhaul kits. Always try to find non-third world parts.
    You can try it yourself, but many times the trans will still leak. Just be aware of that.
    You can try to find a trans guy that does side jobs. A PG is one of the simplest to rebuild/repair, and pulling it out of a van is one of the easiest R&R jobs too.
    So, if you are comfortable with some grunt work and the possibility of failure, go for it. If you are going to get mad and junk the van if it doesn't fix the first time with a few small parts, it's probably best to wait and have a shop do the work.

Smart first step would be to clean it as well as possible so the thing isn't a big gooey mess. That will make removal and repair easier and allow you to pinpoint the leak locations.
    I'd see if a shop close by could at least look it over after you clean it and pull it. A savvy tech can spot stuff that would be missed by many shade tree guys that don't look at transmissions all day.

Last edited by RodStRace on Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:37 am

Just like a New Wife on a Honeymoon!! Get HER DONE!! cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 3:23 am