VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Auto Tranny starter switch.

crazee

Number of posts : 331
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

Auto Tranny starter switch. Empty Auto Tranny starter switch.

Post by crazee Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:31 am

I'm having the occasional issue with the switch that keeps you from starting your van if it's not in PARK. It seems to stick sometimes and I have to move the selector to low or in and out of Park to get the van to start.

Not usually......but sometimes.

My tranny linkage seems lined up ok too.

SO question is..............

What is the easiest way to wire past this "safety switch"?...........

YEA I know..........it's a safety feature. But I'm not stupid and can handle it if my van will start in any gear.

I'd actually like it if I could start it in neutral anyway.

Anyone here ever delete this switch or wire past it so it no longer functions?

And what's the EASY way to do this?

Thanks.
    Smile
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Auto Tranny starter switch. Empty Re: Auto Tranny starter switch.

Post by donivan65 Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:26 pm

You can check the adjustment by putting it in Park and seeing that the adjustment holes line up by trying to put a nail or cotter pin in them,,,,adjust the rod if necessary,,,,,if you got a 2 wire switch, hook the 2 wires together bypasses the switch,,,,,if you got back up lights on that switch, go up to the connector by the horn relay and find the 2 starter wires and connect them together to bypass the switch while still leaving the back up light circuit in that switch intact

Auto Tranny starter switch. Neutra10
    crazee

Number of posts : 331
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

Post by crazee Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:36 pm

AHhhhhhhhhhhhh SOooooooooo.
    Smile
    I just love your picture explanations!

THANKS
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:13 pm

Like on my picture, I took an ohm meter and found out which positions on the switch had continuity, thats those marks on there,,,,,,,which was Park and Neutral. The switch would not work right on the van. Vanish bought that switch and I had to make it work,,,,,that van was a 3 speed, I converted it over to a PowerGlide,,,,,,I used a coat hanger to make a rod to activate the switch. but since the switch got 2 positions, I just lined one of those lines that would work in PARK,,,,thats the only one that works,,,,,only starts in Park,,,,,so you can do that ,,,,find the contact spots,,,,pick one that only comes on in Neutral,,,,,it only depends on the rod to it,,,,bend it, make another or whatever,,,,,but it could mess up the back up lights if they are incorporated into that Safety Neutral Switch,,,,,,

Post by Guest Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:52 pm

You can check the adjustment by putting it in Park and seeing that the adjustment holes line up by trying to put a nail or cotter pin in them,,,,adjust the rod if necessary,,,,,if you got a 2 wire switch, hook the 2 wires together bypasses the switch,,,,,if you got back up lights on that switch, go up to the connector by the horn relay and find the 2 starter wires and connect them together to bypass the switch while still leaving the back up light circuit in that switch intact

Starter

Thanks for this detailed explanation. I will add them to my notes and let me know how to acknowledge you as the contributor or source. Thanks again.

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:45 pm

This a common problem on GM vehicles, especially 8 cylinder engines,,,,,and that is the starter won't crank after the engine gets hot,,,,,works fine when engine is cold. And the problem is that even though the voltage has to travel 1 inch from the positive battery cable on the starter solenoid to the S terminal right next to it, the van decides to make that voltage travel 15 feet to get the job done. AND,,,,that voltage gets pretty tired after the journey and is not strong enough to turn that hot starter on. So we put in a Ford Relay to carry the load and problem goes away,,,,,,

Auto Tranny starter switch. Starte10
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Number of posts : 946
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by BvrWally Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:31 pm

There you go...Ford's are good for something...JK'n...you know I love them too!!! lol
    B.W. Smile
    Auto Tranny starter switch. EconoBarSign
    jeepwrench
    jeepwrench

Number of posts : 89
    Registration date : 2010-02-02

Post by jeepwrench Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:13 pm

Well it looks like Fords are good for 2 things.

Seriously, I like all earlies even vw's but don't tell anybody. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 8:47 am