VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Real gas mileage on stock slant6/auto and 318/auto

rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Number of posts : 624
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

Real gas mileage on stock slant6/auto and 318/auto Empty Real gas mileage on stock slant6/auto and 318/auto

Post by rustytoolss Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:56 pm

Just would like to know what kid of gas mileage you guys are getting with your slant six auto trans VS 318 auto trans, in basic stock form. What gear ratio if you know also. So basically how much if any advantage does one have over the other. Thanks
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Real gas mileage on stock slant6/auto and 318/auto Empty Re: Real gas mileage on stock slant6/auto and 318/auto

Post by dix Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:54 pm

I'm running a 318 4 barrel auto with 3:55rears and I can run about 3 hours on the hiway in 18 gal. tank so thats about 250 miles so thats about 14 miles a gal. but with lower gears (3:23) it will get better...

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Real gas mileage on stock slant6/auto and 318/auto Empty Re: Real gas mileage on stock slant6/auto and 318/auto

Post by RodStRace Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:58 am

There is probably a 2-3 MPG difference in the 2, with other factors.
    There is also a difference in acceleration.
    I understand that you want all the facts to make an informed decision, but if MPG is a big factor, you are better off with one of the real light econo cars of the 80s and 90s. Increased crash safety and accessories have caused increased weights over the past decade plus.
    What your expected drive is going to be is a big factor too. Anything over 45 MPH is going to decrease MPG more than uphill/downhill due to drag.
    Dawgboy
    Dawgboy

Number of posts : 278
    Registration date : 2013-04-20

Post by Dawgboy Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:01 pm

according to the log that came with mine ('64 A100 with a 170ci LG and 3 on the tree) This particular van averaged at about 22MPG for 27 years. And that was all at 5600 feet altitude.

I am the 3rd owner, and the second owner was Caltech, and they kept track of every fill up and oil change and maintenance and repair since 1968. I ended up with a file box full of this data when I got the van.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Number of posts : 624
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

Post by rustytoolss Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:24 pm

RodStRace wrote:There is probably a 2-3 MPG difference in the 2, with other factors.
    There is also a difference in acceleration.
    I understand that you want all the facts to make an informed decision, but if MPG is a big factor, you are better off with one of the real light econo cars of the 80s and 90s. Increased crash safety and accessories have caused increased weights over the past decade plus.
    What your expected drive is going to be is a big factor too. Anything over 45 MPH is going to decrease MPG more than uphill/downhill due to drag.
    I understand its a 60's van and not a 30mpg unit. But I just want to know if the added power is a massive decrease in MPG...or the other way around. I would plan to install AC at some point/ making a V8 possibly the better choice.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:48 pm