VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

better gas mileage

better gas mileage Empty better gas mileage

Post by Guest Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:02 pm

[b]what can i do to my stock 1965 g 10 to get better gas mileage it is geared really low ...will gwt pics up soon ...this is my first 65 g 10 and im really digging it....peace out
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

better gas mileage Empty Re: better gas mileage

Post by BILLS66 Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:16 pm

what is your gear ratio? Bill
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:28 pm

Post by Guest Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:48 am

BILLS66 wrote:what is your gear ratio? Bill
    [b]dont really know all i can find on the rear end is a gm 2 stamped on the chunk

Post by Guest Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:54 am

chillin-n-killen wrote:
    BILLS66 wrote:what is your gear ratio? Bill
    [b]dont really know all i can find on the rear end is a gm 2 stamped on the chunk
    when i drive this masterpiece you have to change out of 1st gear after about 50 feet and 2nd is a little further 3rd gear is good up to about 50 or 55 the van is really sucking fuel then and feels like i just need another gear.....maybe this is typical for that model ?? it does have 10 bolts on the rear end....
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:44 am

10 bolts is the fastest one out there,,,,,so maybe the engine is not getting enough spark or fuel,,,,,check the points and timing,,,,,check the vacuum and centrifugal advances,,,,,make sure the fuel filter in the carb and in the line, if you have one, are new,,,,,see if the air filter is clean,,,,,see that the gas pedal actually opens the throttle plate all the way open and the choke is opening all the way,,,,,check if the heat riser is stuck in the cold position or the muffler is restricted,,,,,,my 6 cylinder will do 75 MPH,,,,,

Post by Guest Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:39 am

donivan65 wrote:10 bolts is the fastest one out there,,,,,so maybe the engine is not getting enough spark or fuel,,,,,check the points and timing,,,,,check the vacuum and centrifugal advances,,,,,make sure the fuel filter in the carb and in the line, if you have one, are new,,,,,see if the air filter is clean,,,,,see that the gas pedal actually opens the throttle plate all the way open and the choke is opening all the way,,,,,check if the heat riser is stuck in the cold position or the muffler is restricted,,,,,,my 6 cylinder will do 75 MPH,,,,,
    what kind of gas mileage do you get ??and my vaccum advance is not working could that be a factor ????? anyway have one ordered to be put on...tnx for your expertise.....jerry
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:13 pm

My van weighs 4000 lbs and I live in the mountains,,,,,so I probably get around 16 MPG,,,,,a vacuum advance would give you more power and mileage,,,,but check the points,,,,,they are the root of all evil,,,,nothing will be right if the points and condenser are not working right,,,,,gap should be set at .016,,,,timing at 6 Degrees BTDC.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 9:36 pm