VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
a66dave
RodStRace
pittsdriver
born2late
8 posters

One piece door glass question

born2late

Number of posts : 45
    Registration date : 2010-07-02

One piece door glass question Empty One piece door glass question

Post by born2late Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:36 pm

Because of all the negativies I have read on here about ill fitting vent window rubbers and becuase it will look better, I am going to eliminate the vent windows on my A100 pickup, and go with a new one piece door windows. I like the look of the one that Foose did on Overhaulin also. Anyone try it here? I see a custom (longer) lower door glass channel where it hooks to the regulator arms, new fuzzy channel up the front of the window opening to support the front of the new glass, and obviously making a new pattern and having it cut by a glass shop. Is there anything im missing?
    pittsdriver
    pittsdriver

Number of posts : 335
    Registration date : 2010-08-12

One piece door glass question Empty Re: One piece door glass question

Post by pittsdriver Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:06 pm

I plan on doing the same thing but haven't started on it yet. Don
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:42 pm

Sounds like a plan. I'd guess the regulator portion may require a healthy cleaning and lubing, but should be able to handle the increased weight and forward center.
    Since the rear channel is solid (welded in), I'd venture that the front one should be made removable, just like the vent frame.
    born2late

Post by born2late Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:30 am

had not thought of the removeable channel deal. Glad I posted for tips on this. I will take pix and post when I do the conversion. Thanks all.
    a66dave
    a66dave

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post by a66dave Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:47 am

I've looked at this option as well. I have gone as far as stripping out all the window components. The problem I encountered is the window opening ( where the glass travels up and down ) in the door is not parallel the entire length. At the point where the wing window post is located, the channel curves inward slightly. Flat glass running the length of the new wider opening, would likely bind/rub. I was going to cut a 1/8th inch wood window template to test this theory, but this requires cutting out the wing window post mounting tap ( located in the channel ). No going back after that.
    Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2011-06-03

Post by Stoopid john Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:26 pm

Wears your since of adventure? lol
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:41 am

a66dave wrote:I've looked at this option as well. I have gone as far as stripping out all the window components. The problem I encountered is the window opening ( where the glass travels up and down ) in the door is not parallel the entire length. At the point where the wing window post is located, the channel curves inward slightly. Flat glass running the length of the new wider opening, would likely bind/rub. I was going to cut a 1/8th inch wood window template to test this theory, but this requires cutting out the wing window post mounting tap ( located in the channel ). No going back after that.

You sir, are correct. I was talking to someone at the NATS about doing this. He pointed out that the windows are not on the same plane. As I recall, he said you could tweak the sheet metal to make it flat, but you also have to get a different regulator in there (maybe because the window will be sliding forward towards the hinge?).
    born2late

Post by born2late Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:22 pm

well ta hell with that idea. OK, who makes the good wing window rubbers? and how do you measure the pivot position to get the correct ones? Seems I read something about 2 differnt positions on early vs. later models.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:03 pm

born2late

Post by born2late Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:39 am

checked it out. Thanks. So Karr is the way to go? The post is confusing to me.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:43 am

checked it out. Thanks. So Karr is the way to go? The post is confusing to me.

Okay, here's a short version

Karr makes them.
    KARR Rubber Manufacturing
    133 Lomita St.
    El Segundo, CA 90245
    Phone: (310) 322-1993 or 1-800-955-5277
    They have some unhappy customers, and one or two that are happy. Maybe the quality has improved. The unhappy ones seem to be early and late style, the most recent customer has late style and is happy.

Restoration Specialties still does not have them available, online even though they were hoping to back in 2011. I'd suggest contacting them for an update. The other products they have are said to be good quality.
    http://www.restorationspecialties.com/dodgetruck.htm

Pat Walsh lists them and the pop out seals on the site. No feedback on availability or quality.
    http://www.patwalshrestorations.com/DOD_VAN-PU_64-70_ERA.html
    VENT FRAME SEALS
    VENT WINDOW FRAMES REFURBISHMENT KIT

Other restoration seal suppliers that did not have them back in 2010 are
    Robert's
    Metro
    Andy Bernbaum
    Steele

I have not checked back with these other companies in the past 2 years. You can find them all on the net and check current listings.

I'm going to repost this on the other thread to bump it up and keep this all in one spot with a title that reflects the question, rather than here with One-Piece Door Glass title.
    born2late

Post by born2late Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:32 pm

Thanks for boiling that down. I got it on lock now.
    a66dave
    a66dave

Post by a66dave Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:53 am

I've gone a little further into this conversion with my second truck. I have completely stripped the door of all components. I ran into a good/bad situation. There are stress cracks in the door belt line right where the wing window post is/was. Good news is that it allowed me to flex the door panel and bring it parallel. A small tack weld will keep it that way. All new window regulators will be needed. The new off set weight of the window causes it to droop, when using stock regulators.  I am going with a power window kit for flat glass doors. This puts the support and lift mechanism in the center of the window. Adding power locks and new felts and seals.
    FYI - It should be noted that this is all at the mock up stage. I have cut out press board templates of the new windows. A full one piece glass is a tight fit due to the slanted post of the door ( latch side ), This makes for very little glass clearance at the hinge side. Window sits up slightly at the belt line. Will likely go with molded in mirror, similar to new cars. The PT Cruiser mirror appears to be the best option for this. It has the right angle to mate with the door properly. I'll post more info as I progress.
    67Dodger
    67Dodger

Number of posts : 78
    Registration date : 2013-02-10

Post by 67Dodger Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:30 pm

I was gonna mention that stress crack where the vent/window channel meet on the doors. Mostly on the driver's door because of all of the use they get, but I have seen that on the passenger door, too. It may re-crack with the weight of a full window without a vent window. It may even re-crack if you keep it stock. That's a good way to tell if your truck was a delivery truck in it's previous life.
    JD
    JD

Number of posts : 82
    Registration date : 2013-03-21

Post by JD Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:25 pm

Thanks for all the great info.

JD
    a66dave
    a66dave

Post by a66dave Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:39 am

I started my project with the passenger door, simply because I had better access to it. This is where I have my stress cracks. I figured it occurred while closing the door with window down. Natural tendency is to pull on the wing window post to close door. The plan is to place a reinforcement bar, running the length of the window opening. Will slide it up on the inside of the door along the outer skin.
    pittsdriver
    pittsdriver

Number of posts : 335
    Registration date : 2010-08-12

Post by pittsdriver Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:01 am

The reinforcement bar is a great idea. I have three vans and all of the front doors have the stress cracks. Post some pictures. Don

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:27 am