VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+19
Lyrad
pan58head
whopman
organ grinder
Digz
dix
sandyvan
ScottyJones
uncle ron
austinmodhouse
dodge man
wideload
Admin
Nightmoves
HandiVanMan
Camaro Addict
maybee
Big W
mbasaraba
23 posters

Welcoming a new member to our home...

whopman
    whopman

Number of posts : 387
    Registration date : 2010-04-01

Welcoming a new member to our home... - Page 4 Empty Re: Welcoming a new member to our home...

Post by whopman Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:26 am

Welcoming a new member to our home... - Page 4 Plug_w10
    vintage air front runner system with the radiator hoses you posted about
    Welcoming a new member to our home... - Page 4 3-22-210
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Number of posts : 823
    Registration date : 2009-01-08

Welcoming a new member to our home... - Page 4 Empty Re: Welcoming a new member to our home...

Post by mbasaraba Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:15 pm

Whopman,

Thanks for posting those pictures! Didnt even know I had a reply with the pictures.

I did buy one of those kits and started installing it. It seems like the new metal hose is a bit smaller than the rubber hose that it is supposed to go in but maybe it squishes enough to hold it, there wasnt enough "Adapters" to go around the metal line so I take it they are supposed to just go into the longer rubber hose.

I used the 1.5 adapters on the thermo housing and the top of the radiator.

The water pump and lower outlet on the radiator wont get an adapter, just the main hose piece with the metal end.

I got all my lower end mounts built and mounted on the new radiator and frame. Going to start my new doghouse frame this weekend. I had ran out of 75/25 for my MIG but got that exchanged and ready to start. Smile
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:26 am

Started laying out my dog house yesterday and it is going to be a real job. Since I am trying to keep it as narrow as possible to avoid taking up "Seat Space" but needing to be wide enough to change the plugs in the future I am going to make it split and tilt forward instead of back like the original.

Still having a lot of issues with wiring and been given lots of options for new wiring. I bought an EZ-Wiring harness and should be here early next week but that only takes care of the extra stuff in the van and not the motor.

Looking at the affordable-fuel-injection harness option but I think I will lose the wires to my 700R4 and cruise so dont think I can go this route.

Really wish I was better at all this...
    pan58head
    pan58head

Number of posts : 512
    Registration date : 2010-03-15

Post by pan58head Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:01 am

Matt, as for the 700r , you can buy a kit to install in the tranny pan which will allow the tranny to shift with out any computer. Bob
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:29 am

Bob,

I know I can, just dont want to if I dont have to.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:09 pm

pan58head...what is this kit for the 700r you mentioned? I need to no more as I may need this as well. any pics or part number and where to buy would be most helpfull.
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:05 pm

I asked Bob for the part number also. If I hear I will let you know.
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:06 pm

TC1-376600
    Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:12 pm

Thanks matthew. I will look it up and see what it's all about.
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:50 am

Let the fun begin...again... Lol

Welcoming a new member to our home... - Page 4 Harnes10
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by wideload Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:57 am

Matt did you tell them you wanted a harness for a van or is it for something else?

mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:28 pm

It said van/pickup. I got it off eBay for $25 cheaper than website.
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:12 pm

Tunnel started. Will get the side panels cut and mounted next.

Welcoming a new member to our home... - Page 4 Tunnel10
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:34 am

Matt I see that you removed the upper part of the steering column. How was it attached to the bottom(stock portion)?

mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:21 am

I took picture but can't post it from phone. Will post it when I go in.

Working on fabbing the sides of the tunnel now.
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:25 pm

wideload wrote:Matt I see that you removed the upper part of the steering column. How was it attached to the bottom(stock portion)?

Here it is Mike. They had a squared inner tube to fit over the tilt section. The top section was held in by a roll pin. The tube is welded over the top of the original.

Welcoming a new member to our home... - Page 4 Steeri10

Got the drivers side piece of the tunnel installed. Taking me a long time since the floor is so uneven and I want it to fit snug. I put angle iron on the inside of the bottom to bolt it on. All of this will be covered by my sound deadener and carpet.

Welcoming a new member to our home... - Page 4 Tunnel11
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:37 pm

Looking good Matt!!!! Bet your glad to get that mess of wires out from under the dash. That new tunnel should do the job.

mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:53 pm

Yeah those wires were a disaster! So many splices I didnt know what was going on. Lol.

The new EZ-Wiring kit will make a huge difference. I dont plan on installing that until I get all of the sound deadening in. I figured it would be a lot easier to get that in without all the wires in the way. I will leave the edge not stuck down so I can slide the wires under then stick them down.
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:59 pm

Drivers side took me 3 hours since I didnt know exactly how I was going to do it. Passenger side took me 20 minutes. I cut it free hand so it is a bit uneven but it has 1 inch of over lap so it doesnt matter, going to pull it out and grind it even. This is going to be completely covered with sound deadener and carpet. Just need to bolt it in after it is ground level.

Welcoming a new member to our home... - Page 4 Pass110

Welcoming a new member to our home... - Page 4 Pass210

Welcoming a new member to our home... - Page 4 Pass310

Welcoming a new member to our home... - Page 4 Pass410
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:12 am

Steering wheel with Tint, cruise, dimmer switch... check!!!

1 hour to fab it in. Going to work on a shroud for it tomorrow. Then I will smooth and paint the lower end.

Welcoming a new member to our home... - Page 4 Steeri11
    Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:16 am

Hey Matt what did you take the column out of? And did you mate it to the original steering box? Pics if you have them....thanks.
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:03 am

Column came out of a 1991 Chevy van , same one I got the motor and tranny from. The original had already modified for the Buick tilt column.

I cut the original shaft off 6 inches above the steering box. The new shaft teliscopes about 14 inches inside itself. I welded a 3 inch piece of square tubingon the new shaft. It goes over theoriginal which i ground flat on to sides and used a 3/8 grade 8 bolt to control rotation.
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Number of posts : 277
    Registration date : 2011-01-20

Post by Lyrad Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:29 am

Looks Awesome I like the new wheel. You're doing great keep it going.
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:01 am

Has been awhile since an update.

Was sick for 3 days and was hard to even get out of the house to go to work let alone to the shop.

Tammy's whole family thing is screwed up. Her mom lived 50 miles away, hasnt seen my kids for 6 years. Last time we seen her was 3 years ago at Tammy's Great Aunt's funeral. Her dad lives 20 miles away, see him once or twice a year. In contrast, my folks live 2000 miles away and they come down for a few weeks every year to see us and the kids.

Got some rough news that Tammy's mom is terminal with cancer. Colon cancer spread every where, liver, kidneys, everything shutting down. She let her kids know last Tuesday, and she has days to live according to the doctors. Tammy and her brother and sister been running around trying to get all the "Legal" stuff taken care of while there is time. We have spent a few days up with her mom but she is wasted away to nothing and in severe pain.

I been telling Tammy for years, "I dont care if you mom says she is too busy, GO SEE HER". Now it is too late and she wishes she would have.
    campin'fool 2
    campin'fool 2

Number of posts : 252
    Registration date : 2013-02-02

Post by campin'fool 2 Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:09 am

Thats a sad post. I hope things go as well as they can for your family.

Joel

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 12:48 am