VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+19
Lyrad
pan58head
whopman
organ grinder
Digz
dix
sandyvan
ScottyJones
uncle ron
austinmodhouse
dodge man
wideload
Admin
Nightmoves
HandiVanMan
Camaro Addict
maybee
Big W
mbasaraba
23 posters

Welcoming a new member to our home...

HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Welcoming a new member to our home... - Page 6 Empty Re: Welcoming a new member to our home...

Post by HandiVanMan Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:42 am

A guy that I know has a 1965 Chevy pick up truck that he replaced the original radiator in.
    He had a issue with the radiator hose on the new radiator not fitting correctly & went to all of the auto parts stores in the area & tried to find a hose that would fit & finally he found a flex hose that would work.  There was no cross reference part number that could be found so the sales clerk finally measured both the inlet sizes on the hose and checked all of his flex hoses until he found one that would work. There is a lot of parts out there that will interchange or will fit our vans but if it doesn't list it in the computer that it is a direct fit the sales clerk will tell you they can't help you. That is one thing that I miss about all of the Mom & Pop auto parts places being gone. They would keep looking & cross referencing parts numbers until they found something that would fit or you could at least make work.
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Number of posts : 823
    Registration date : 2009-01-08

Welcoming a new member to our home... - Page 6 Empty Re: Welcoming a new member to our home...

Post by mbasaraba Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:56 am

Been a long time since I updated but figured I would through up a post on where I am at.

Got the van wiring pretty much completed, motor wiring harness all done and hooked up.

Installed the new 22 gallon 3rd gen gas tank/sender/fuel pump. Moved cross member forward. Ran all new steel fuel line and inline filter. Modified and installed new filler hose.

Currently making the new mounting straps for the tank, right now it is held up with a floor jack. I cut 1 inch strips of .060 aluminum and cutting strips of bailer belt to pad between the strap and tank. Going to drill and counter sink holes to bolt the belt to the strap.

I been working slowly on the rims which have been a huge PITA. The guy that painted my brothers 65 Dodge Cornet put clear coat on the aluminum rims, UGH! I told my brother back when he was doing his car to send them out to anodize but he didnt want to spend the $150, now I have to deal with cleaning all that crap off.

Took me almost 2 hours to do one rim. I REALLY want to use these rims. My dad bought them new in 1968 for a car he had but he said he cant remember for what, some Ford. They have the universal slots for mounting. The "washers" used to spacer it correctly were for Dodge though and I am having a hard time finding the right kind for Chevy. If I had ONE I could make a model and machine myself a full set here at work.

((Pictures of before and after on 1 of the 2 rims I have done))

Welcoming a new member to our home... - Page 6 B410

Welcoming a new member to our home... - Page 6 After10

I still need to figure out how to do the ignition. I want to use a push button ignition with a hidden toggle, I hate keys.

After I get the tank in and can START this thing I can get my lifters adjusted and ready to take in to get exhaust installed. We still plan on going with dual side pipes.
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:54 pm

Tank is all finalized. Got all the wiring hooked up to the rear tail lights.

I started to wire the new column but there are so many wires I am not sure which goes where. I am not sure if the color coding is the same with my EZ Wiring kit Green Flash to Green wire on column harness. I did find that one of the plugs from the EZ harness plugged into the dimmer switch for the headlights so that was a huge plus!

Anyone dealt with a 1992 Chevy wiring before? Here are the 2 plugs that SHOULD be what I need.

Welcoming a new member to our home... - Page 6 Wire311
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:54 pm

I can check on the wiring in a day or two, but hope someone else can do it from memory.
    I will mention that most of the aftermarket harnesses are designed on the GM colors and plug into the GM column.
    FOR THE WHEELS
    The washers you need should be the ones you have.
    With the washers toward the inside, the pattern is 5x4.5 (Ford, Mopar)
    With the washer holes toward the outside, the pattern should be 5x4.75 (GM)
    If this is not the case, they are ones that will go from 5x4.5 (inside) to 5x4.75 (middle) and 5x5 (outside). Those had a longer slot than I see in your pics. It should be a simple matter of putting the washers on with the holes out and checking.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:57 pm

mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:54 am

Thanks Rod.

The washers or maybe the slots might be a little buggered up, they dont want to go both ways.

I bought those clamps, 2nd on list on the link, on eBay a while back and am just waiting till I get the motor going and get exhaust installed, before I finish building my dog house.

Wiring, I am thinking I can connect some of these wires via the plug since the EZ Harness came with some of the wires with terminal plugs on the ends of the wires. Wish I had kept the other harness from the van but I didnt even think about it at the time.
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:03 am

RD cleared up what the wires from previous post are for so I am getting them all hooked up.

I have a question about relays and switches, Hopefully anyone with wiring skills can help with this.

Currently I want to run a push button start system but I dont want it on all the time and dont want to use the key. I want to hook up a toggle switch that is UNDER the dash unseen, flip the switch and power is turned on to the fuse box. I dont want to fry the toggle since most are low amp rated so I thought about a relay. I am no electrical engineer so need a little help with this.

I have a 30a relay but that will be TOO small RD told me, thinking I can use this for the headlights or is it too small for that also? Again using a toggle to the relay.

The relay I have now has 4 wires. Green, and White small wires, I guess one of these hook to the toggle somehow and the other is ground? Red and dark blue big wires, **not sure which color does what** power in  (wire coming from the fuse box "Head Lights Power) and power out (to actually send power to the headlights). As I understand there is no power till the toggle is flipped which actually powers the relay closing the circuit to allow the red and blue to make contact.

If this relay wont work for headlights either, what size will I need for that? Looking at the headlight wires there is no relay in the wires. I looked for "Head Light Switch" wires but dont see any of these either, just a wire that says "HeadLight Power".

How big of a relay do I need for the main power?
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:22 am

Got my Gauge Panel polished and my Shark gauges installed and it looks AMAZING! Now I am just waiting for my LEDs to get here to finish it up.

Welcoming a new member to our home... - Page 6 Led10

One of a kind.

Welcoming a new member to our home... - Page 6 Img_2010
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:46 am

where did you get the LEDS??? The gauge panel looks great
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:14 pm

Matt, that is Bad to the Bone!! Can't wait to see it installed!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:07 pm

Thanks guys!

G-Man here is where I got the LED. I got 2 green, 1 blue and 6 Amber (these will be mounted between the layers for back lighting.

LED

Welded up the original gauge hole.

Welcoming a new member to our home... - Page 6 Img_2011

Was going to wire up my NEW light switch, only issue, no schematic. Anyone know what goes where on these??

Welcoming a new member to our home... - Page 6 Img_2012

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:03 am