VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+7
thatcherworks
panelmanrd
Big W
m1dadio
Twinpilot001
Space Truckin
donivan65
11 posters

65 sportvan spring bushings

65 sportvan spring bushings - Page 2 Empty Re: 65 sportvan spring bushings

Post by Guest Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:44 am

Donivan, regaurding the help you gave me on my 65 sportvan. As they are both the same I took one of my springs into Truck Service Inc. Noblesville. They sold me and pressed in my 2 front cartridge bushings, they are a real good fit but as you said I will have to cut the length down as my springs on my 65 are 2" wide. This was easy to do after the bushing was pressed in. The part number was RB 159. They also sold me 4 new u-bolts and mounting bolts.$70.00 total. The shakle bushings HB 930 I got from sdtrucksprings.com. The only other obstacle is that the sleeves on my shackle bolts are rusted on and even a torch will not free them. They have that extra large square on them, can't find them in that length anymore. Thanks for all the encouragement and pictures.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:36 am

Alright,,,,,,back to something normal,,,,so the shackles have kind of carriage bolts with square shoulders to keep them from turning and shoulders to keep you from squashing the rubber bushings,,,,,and,,,rumor has it,,,,the 1955 Chevy car rear springs,( part# Danchuk 062), is basically the same part,,,,so do a search to see if you can find them,,,,,,,

65 sportvan spring bushings - Page 2 Spring26
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:48 pm

65van66man wrote:Donivan, regaurding the help you gave me on my 65 sportvan. As they are both the same I took one of my springs into Truck Service Inc. Noblesville. They sold me and pressed in my 2 front cartridge bushings, they are a real good fit but as you said I will have to cut the length down as my springs on my 65 are 2" wide. This was easy to do after the bushing was pressed in. The part number was RB 159. They also sold me 4 new u-bolts and mounting bolts.$70.00 total. The shakle bushings HB 930 I got from sdtrucksprings.com. The only other obstacle is that the sleeves on my shackle bolts are rusted on and even a torch will not free them. They have that extra large square on them, can't find them in that length anymore. Thanks for all the encouragement and pictures.

If this is what you need, send this picture to National Spring,,,,see if they got them and how much,,,,,tell them its for Dons favorite bushings HB 930,,,,If you pay for them, I could pick them up,,,,I should be in Joliet, Illinois around May 5th once I stop off in Paducah, Kentucky and Nashville, Tennessee,,,,in case you don't have them shipped to you,,,,,

65 sportvan spring bushings - Page 2 Shackl10

Post by Guest Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:32 am

Well for now I took a grade 8 7/16 bolt, the wrench flats are the same size as the square hole in the shackle so I had to grind off two opposing points slightly and welded a heavy duty washer to the head. This ended up as a nice snug fit with no play or slop, Turned out better than I thought it would. I would send picture if I had that figured out. I am still going to look into National Spring.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:48 pm

The HB 930 bushings are 9/16" so a 7/16" bolt is a sloppy fit,,,,,those shackle bolts are special,,,they are 7/16 but the center is 9/16 and have shoulders on them to keep you from over tightening the bushings to death,,,,National Spring might not let you send them a picture anyways, but call them,,,,they should know what you need and MAYBE they might have some,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:01 pm

Are you sure about the RB 159 cartridges? They are listed as 1 5/8" and our springs are 1 1/8",,,,9/16 bolt hole is right,,,,and you can cut them down to fit,,,,but something is not right,,,,,do those metal bushings look like 1 1/8 or 1 5/8?

Post by Guest Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:58 pm

I guess I left out on the 7/16" bolt for the shackles They gave me sleeves 7/16" i.d. and 9/16" o.d. On the cartridges for the front spring eye, this is what was throwing me earlier when I measured mine and discovered it was bigger. Mine are actually just under 1-5/8" so that RB 159 fit nice and tight, had to be pressed in. I don't know if they were replaced and someone improvised or what, but everything seems to fit well, they pivot and rebound well with weight off and on so I am puzzled.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:32 pm

All the Early Chevy/GMC vans have the 1 1/8" metal bushing,,,,,so someone must of put some other type of springs on yours for that 1 5/8" bushing to work in them,,,,,but there is a larger bushing spring on the Right Front of SOME vans,,,,,but it is not very common,,,,do the other 3 springs have the big bushing in them?

Post by Guest Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:26 pm

Both of the front springs are the same size, I have not had the back out and they are a little hard to see with that extra leaf wrapped around the eye. Without having them out I am gonna say it looks more like the smaller eye. If these old vans could talk.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:00 pm

could possibly someone?? or factory (i doubt) put some 3/4 ton main spring under ? or some 4 x 4 spring?? thinkin out loud here. Likely some listing on springs could give us an answer?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:08 pm

So what about those front springs,,,,,did they look somewhat new ,,,,,,,were the bushings actually bad or did you just feel like spending money?
    Space Truckin
    Space Truckin

Number of posts : 1279
    Registration date : 2009-10-17

65 sportvan spring bushings - Page 2 Empty leaf springs

Post by Space Truckin Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:54 pm

donivan65 wrote:That's not sounding good,,,,in my book, you don't need to change the upper bushings,,,,they are HB 930's and Ben has been out of them for years,,,,,,so what is he sending you,,,,fatter ones to make the shackles even fatter?
    You might call and ask him what, or if, he is sending for the uppers,,,,,,,,and then the question is DO YOU NEED THE UPPER HB 930 BUSHINGS,,,,,and I know where to get them,,,,,,
    Got bushings/sleeves today , they fit nice . As far as bolts they are both 7/16 frt/rear . As far as upper bushings are concerned , figured it doesn't hurt to change out while everything is apart ?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:33 pm

Those front bolts should be 1/2",,,,,,and you only got the 4 fat bushings and 2 sleeves for each spring and NOT the upper shackle bushings,,,,right? Here are some fat bushings on a skinny 2nd Gen spring,,,,

65 sportvan spring bushings - Page 2 Harry_48
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:57 pm

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:56 pm

Those metal bushings can be a problem,,,,,our springs were and, maybe still are, 1.125,,,so the press fit 1.128 is right,,,IF,,,,,the spring eye has not spread open a little,,,(at least the neoprene ones can be squashed a little for a tight fit),,,,our springs have 9/16 bolts,springs are 2" and the hanger is 2 1/2" wide,,,,now Napa here is kind of weird on special orders,,,big shipping costs,,,like $15,,,,so that's a lot of money for something that might not fit,,,,,and as for the shackle bushings,,,,SDtrucksprings will sell you a bag of 4 # HB 930's for what Napa wants for one,,,,,I bought a bag of RB-52's for $30,,,,I plan on cutting them down to 2" to see if they will work on a 1st Gen,,,,it's just that they need to be a tight press fit, that's the biggest problem,,,,eye size and bushing size need to be REAL ACCURATE and I am not so sure the quality control is,,,,,HOWEVER those #2056 neoprene with a #6 sleeve do a good job of replacing the metal bushings,,,but sometimes they could be a little noisy and a little stiffer ride,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:05 am

Hey M1D, if you plan on doing bushings in the near future, I will send you one of my RB-52's from SDtrucksprings.com and you can see if it fits, then you can buy a bag from them and send me one back,,,,,
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:04 am

I am planning to look at the rear spring eyes soon because Im getting a clunk in the back when I leave a stop sign and everything else looks tight.
    I would like to have the bushings before I start the job because I can't leave my van sitting in pieces at my shop.

I am suprised you NAPA dealer is that way, They are not suposed to charge you shipping when they bring in parts that napa lists and if you don't want it they have a return program as part of thier dealership agreement that dosn't cost them anything. Your local napa guy must be trying to burn you. My local napa guy has no issue at all with me ordering stuff he dosn't have ijn stock and then me telling him I don't want it after looking at it at the counter. Thats normal proceedure around here.

Thanks anyway for the offer to send the RB52 but the sdvertised demansions of that bushing are allready smaller OD then the napa addvertised demensions.
    If the spring eye has been stretched , it is n normal to use a half circle of shim stock when pressing it in to tighten it up.

Thanks for the size numbers Donivan65, your a fantastic source of imformation! cheers

M1D
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:48 pm

Well,,,,,,,,if you only have a few minutes at lunchtime to get it done, you can put a jack between the spring and frame. remove the bolt, jack the spring down low enough to push the bushings out and in with a ball joint clamp and get back to work in time,,,,,

65 sportvan spring bushings - Page 2 Repai262
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:42 pm

thats a good idea Don!
    I called Napa today and they say the parts are in no warehouse in Canada And it will take 4 to 6 weeks to get them from the US.

M1D
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:17 pm

Sure,,,,take a break,,,,pop that spring down and check out what you got,,see if you got the 1 1/8" bushings in there,,,,,see if you spot a problem or not on those bushings,,,,and put it back together,,,people here have had to eat the shipping costs even if they returned the wrong part to Napa if they had to order it from someplace else than the local warehouse,,,,what are you going to do? did they say you get free shipping if you order those bushings?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:27 pm

The spring shop says the neoprene bushings with a sleeve is the way to go on hot rods,,,,,and I think,,,,a PontiVan,,,,,would qualify,,,,,,

65 sportvan spring bushings - Page 2 Spring28
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:54 am

I did a little research and discovered some kits to use for the front eye of the rear springs on my 65 thanks to the information provided by Donivan65.

The energy suspension kit # 4.2126 or the Polyuathane # 6803 kits that fit 66-77 Bronco 4wd, 57-72 F100 2 and 4 wd, or 60-72 F150 2wd contain four #2056 bushings and 2 usable sleve and the grease. Only $14 does both sides.

It only took them 5 weeks to deliver them!!! you would think I was living at the North pole for God sakes!!

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=4.2126

65 sportvan spring bushings - Page 2 00110
    65 sportvan spring bushings - Page 2 00310

However changing these 47 year old bushings is not a driveway job and you can only "POP" the bolt out to look at it during your lunch break if you have a three hour lunch.

If you are not tooled up and ready to do 3 or 4 hours of hard labor; then bring you van and the new parts to a spring shop and pay them to do it.

I recomend you buy 2 new 9/16 X 4" bolts and nuts and a 6 pack before you start the job cuz your going to need them.

Using a 3.lb hammer and beating on the bolt with the loosened nut on the end and then using an air chisle up the insides of the spring pearch to beat the hell out of the sleaves and bolt and then using an air hammer to drive the bolt out 1.5 hours and two beers later I had the bolt out.
    65 sportvan spring bushings - Page 2 00412

Jack the spring against a block of wood on the floor.
    Then you need any torch (propane is fine) to heat the inner sleave so the rubber will soften and you can push the hot sleve out with a bar. This makes a rubber flame thrower and you need to blow out the flames and push the sleve while hot. Have a fire extinguisher handy and be on clean conreate with lots of clean space around you . A ready to use garden hose would be a good idea also but the sleave needs to be hot to slide out.
    65 sportvan spring bushings - Page 2 00610
    Once the inner sleeve is out the rubber will peal out and off the outer sleve. You then use a hacksaw blade or an air chisle pipe cutter to slice the outer sleve and it will release from the spring eye.
    65 sportvan spring bushings - Page 2 00711

Now with the hard part done cut 1/16" off one new poly bushing and the new steal sleve. Clean the rust off the spring eye , use the grease provided and install the bushings, lower and pry the eye into position and install the new bolt.
    65 sportvan spring bushings - Page 2 00910

Now finish the 6 pack
    M1D

Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:40 pm

Will a bottle of crown royal work or should a person just stick with beer.... Very Happy
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:15 pm

Boy M1D, you sure are an ambitious fellow,,,,,I would of put a washer on a long bolt and used a big socket to suck the whole deal right out,,,,,,

65 sportvan spring bushings - Page 2 Repai273

65 sportvan spring bushings - Page 2 Repai274
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:51 pm

Actualy getting the old bushing out only took 15 minutes or so. The real hard part was getting the bolt out as the inner sleve and bolt had become one with 47 years of corrosion.

By the way Don I just want to say thank you for all the guidence and assistance you provide to the Vanning comunity. Your photos and expirience are really helpful and appretiated.

M1D

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 9:52 am