VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Help - transmission swap question

TallGuy
    TallGuy

Number of posts : 23
    Registration date : 2011-09-21

Help - transmission swap question Empty Help - transmission swap question

Post by TallGuy Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:48 am

I have a 1963 Econoline pickup with a 170ci inline 6cyl (not the original motor, it had a 144ci)and a three speed transmission (I am assuming it is the orginal transmission). The tranny is tired and a friend has a rebuilt tranny that just came out of his 54 F100 (he is converting to an automatic and a V8)that is also running an inline 6cyl (not sure on the ci's). He is believes the tranny to be orginal to the truck and his truck is a three on the tree as is mine. He feels it will be a direct swap, can some one confirm this?
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Help - transmission swap question Empty Re: Help - transmission swap question

Post by Big W Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:49 pm

lmao...ok I just reread yor post and realized I can't read real well. My 53's f-1oo had the flat head 8 with a floor shift. so my question was...was it converted to column shift or was it original 3 on the tree? didn't no they had a column shift in 54. Sorry I can't help you there.
    66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Number of posts : 384
    Registration date : 2012-01-08

Post by 66ThunderVan Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:28 pm

They may both be side cover transmissions but the mount on the truck is under and the van is over the extension housing. Also, the input shaft pilot diameter may be different. I don't remember what yoke is on the truck, but it might be a slip and the van is fixed-bolted and the slip yoke is in the drive shaft. I would say the answer is probably no. Hope this helps and is correct.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:33 pm