VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+8
austinmodhouse
jeffmckenz
jrinaman
DanTheVanMan
mbasaraba
Lazarusvan
kiwimopar
m1dadio
12 posters

Disc brakes for 2012 reminder

m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Disc brakes for 2012 reminder Empty Disc brakes for 2012 reminder

Post by m1dadio Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:17 am

Cost and availability of disc brake brackets for 2012

If any body is or has been thinking about having disc brakes on their van in 2012 , Read this because now is the time to act on it.

I am at the point of making final decission about having another batch made as you may recall from previos posts, linked here.

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t5297-disc-brake-conversion-kits-expert-opinions

We have just about enough names on the list to proceed.

If you are considering doing disc brakes this year, now is the time to get your name on the list and get the brackets by Feb or so. The rest you can do later.

If you want Disc brake brackets you must Email me with your request/intention to buy; and which brackets you want at
    m1dadio@shaw.ca

Posting on this thread that you want brackets or “PM” me will not get your name on the list.

I will keep you posted on how many people get their name on the list and what the outcome is on Jan 6th2012 or so. Following that, should there be enough interest I will ask for a deposit of $50 towards each bracket set requested Via paypal. When the brackets are manufactured (could be two months or so) I will collect the ballance owing and deliver them right away.

More imformation on my three different disc brake options can be found on page 21 of the linked thread.

A couple of disc brake concerns/questions have come up in the past while that I think should be addressed at this time.

The first; “How much to do disc brakes on my van”?
    The following is not price quotes or estimates; they are general numbers from previous experience. The cost to do your van is subject to many variables like what year your van is, what state of disrepair the brakes are currently in, do you have a sway bar, have any adjoining parts been previously modified and so on.
    Separate from that the simple answer is between about $800 to $1000 for a decent, basic Disc/Drum duel circuit manual brake system conversion if you do the job yourself. Many peoplel report doint it for much less then that (50%) less for some.
    That is cheap! as far as disc/drum conversions go. Lets put that into perspective with some other examples. Go online yourself and look up disc brake conversion for very popular and abundant kits for cars like late 60s mustangs, Novas, Chevelle and so on. Kits for those very popular vehicles are anywhere for $850 to $1600 depending on the Car and up for higher performance kits and some require addition machining or costly changes to the vehicle. I would think those kits should be cheaper then that because they are so popular and mass produced by the thousands, usually in China.
    You can also see brake kits in the 2 to 3 thousand dollar range, you know those are “made in America” brake kits.

For you to have access to a “custom” disc brake bracket created for a very small van market that only does about ten van disc brake conversions a year, and made so the do-it yourselfer can complete it in the driveway with basic hand skills and without any major modifications to any other van parts and for only $800 to $1000 is extremely reasonable value for your money.
    Lets break that down a little further.
    Of the “front axle” conversion to disc brakes the brackets had been costing about $260 with shipping , comprehensive installation instructions,additional parts list and all. This is likely to go up in price on the next batch by about 15 to 20%, I have to check what the production costs are going to be this year. The rest of the parts (very common and very available at your local car parts store)rotors, calipers, hoses and other misc parts come in around $125 to $225 depending on the cost of parts where you live. The “front axle part” has been costing under $500, the brackets being the most expensive part of that.

Add to that a replacement master cylinder, new lines, fluid, and other needed valves are around $100 to $350 depending on your van and its needs. Some people choose extras or higher grade parts and that’s where this conversion can cost between $800 and $1000, or more if you want higher quality or performance chrome everything; thats your call.

If you want to go to four wheel discs add about another $500 to $1000 to do the rear with operating park brake and all. If you want to go to power assisted brakes add around another $500 or so with all the design and fabrication of relocating the master cylinder.

One other concern I have heard from several vanners is the lack of consistent availability of disc brake brackets to the G van community.
    I think this very post and everything script above speaks to why that is.
    Said another way; the economic laws of “supply vs demand” are always at play affecting both inconsistent supply and higher costs. The real problem is the very small number of vanners doing disc conversions, about 10 or 12 a year. If there were 50 or more vanners doing disc brake conversions each year I could then make these brackets available all the time and at less then half the cost they are now. But that isn’t what’s happening; the market (demand) is just to small.

thank you

M1D

On another note: I really like the 12" rotor design they have stronger stopping force as expected. But also as expected with the smaller pads they eat the brake pads like crazy which makes for much brake dust on my wheels and additional dissimular metal corrosion to the wheels if not cleaned almost daily. Looks like I will have to pollish my wheels again.
    Disc brakes for 2012 reminder Dscn1913
    Disc brakes for 2012 reminder Img09910
    Disc brakes for 2012 reminder Img09911
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Number of posts : 745
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

Disc brakes for 2012 reminder Empty Re: Disc brakes for 2012 reminder

Post by kiwimopar Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:05 pm

Email sent Cool
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Post by Lazarusvan Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:01 pm

Not that M1D needs my vouching, but I purchased a set right after buying my van and he sent them out lighting fast from Canada. Communication was top notch with offers to help whevever I'm ready to install.

If every Ebay transaction or life interaction was this good, it would be a perfect world.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:28 pm

Sorry I can't help Kiwimopar, I only do brackets for the G 10 (GM) van.

I did a search in the A van departments and found quite a bit on A van disc brakes.

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t2693-disc-brake-conversion?highlight=disc+brakes

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t19115-disc-brakes-for-an-a-series?highlight=disc+brakes

M1D

mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Number of posts : 823
    Registration date : 2009-01-08

Post by mbasaraba Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:47 am

Email sent
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:33 pm

Things are looking good so far.

We have enough people on the list to proceed with a production run.

Those of you who have your name on the list will receive an email around Jan 10 requesting a deposit to demonstrate commitment to purchase.

Cost is looking better then expected, I had thought they would go up by 20% but that is not the case. I won't have complete price quotes until Jan 10 but the quotes I'm getting thus far look similar to last years cost.

As you can read in these various posts by other Vanners, it seems a disc/drum conversion including rebuilding the rear brakes is averaging around $600 for many vanners. (Not the 800 to 1000 it would cost if you lived where I do).

Time line: I was predicting a couple months for production time but that too is looking like less. Possible two weeks so brackets might be available for end of Jan. "save up your coin"!

If you want to do disc brakes this year, now’s the time to by the brackets. If you are committed to buying brackets, now is the time to email me with your requests and questions at m1dadio@shaw.ca

Thank you
    M1D
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:42 pm

Unlike my earlier prediction, there will be no cost increase of brackets this time, they will be the same price as last year.

Everybody with their name on the list requesting brackets has been notified tonight with a request for deposit.

If you believe your name was on the list and you did not get a request email from me tonight Jan 10th then You need to email me right away.

I am glad for all of you that we have enough interested vanners to make up another batch for 2012.

M1D
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:31 pm

Right in the middle of heavy computer work and lots going on about brake brackets and my computer dies with a registry failure. I know many of you are emailing me about brake bracket questions.
    It will be a few days till I get back to you. I have to get my computer in for repair tomoro.

Sorry for the inconvenience of temporary delay.

M1D
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:05 am

Ahh, the "Blue Screen of Death!"

Sorry to hear it. It happened to me last week!

Disc brakes for 2012 reminder Blue_s10

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Disc brakes for 2012 reminder Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:57 am

was the virus so bad it cracked the screen? or did it fall into your fist by accident when you couldnt get it to work?
    jeffmckenz
    jeffmckenz

Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2011-12-19

Post by jeffmckenz Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:19 am

i'm still green around the ears to this site... do these brackets only work for the chevy's ? looking to convert to front discs on my Dodge A-108. If someone could steer the "newbie" in the right direction ?
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

Post by austinmodhouse Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:20 am

jeffmckenz,

the mopar brackets can be found at scarebird

http://www.scarebird.com/index.php?id=32

there may be other options and I have no personal experience with them.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:37 pm

If you have not sent in a deposit for your disc brake brackets yet, this message is for you.

We; (me and those who have provided thier deposit) are waiting for you to send your deposit money so the production can begin.

Back in November, giving everybody much leed time, I set out to generate enough interest to warrent having another run of brake brackets made. The instructions were laid out clear to get your name on my list at m1dadio@shaw.ca , only If you are commited to buying disc brake brackets. Then you would be notified by Jan 6th to send me the required deposit so I could get this production run rolling.

17 people put thier names on the list, I emailed out the requests for a deposit of $75 per bracket set to all 17 on the 10th of Jan.
    So far only 6 people have sent me thier deposit. scratch

I had computer issuse that evening, Jan 10th so it is concievable that some did not recieve the email. I will be resending a request to those still outstanding, tonight.
    Even though my computer was down, my paypal account has complete records of who has sent thier deposit in and I have that info on file so don't be concerned if you have sent yours.

I need to have deposits from at least 5 more Vannersby the end of the month.

If this does not happen, a production run cannot proceed and I will then refund all moneys put forward. None of us want that to happen so come on folks get your deposit in this week so we can get on with production.

Thank you
    M1D Very Happy
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:10 pm

Well hopefully at least 5 of those other 11 who wanted them will send in their deposit. Shame to miss out on these!!!

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Number of posts : 823
    Registration date : 2009-01-08

Post by mbasaraba Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:50 am

M1D, I never got a confirmation you got my payment by email or PM. Can you confirm please? I sent on 1-14-2012.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:35 pm

The M1D2KV and M1DK10N brackets are just about ready, probably next week.
    Disc brakes for 2012 reminder Img04610

The M1D80TA brackets are still waiting for a few more people to get their deposit in.

Other News:
    It has come to my attention that some people shy away from the M1D80TA or the M1D2KV set up because they feel they can't do the hub cleanup and preparation part.
    I have decided I am going to make some prepared hubs available for those who would rather buy them ready to go. I don't have a price or any ready yet. I am just asking around right now to buy up a couple pair of hubs so I have them ready to sell. I am also thinking an exchange program of some sort but the prices of all this will depend on availability.
    Disc brakes for 2012 reminder Img03210
    Disc brakes for 2012 reminder Img03710

M1D
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by BILLS66 Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:19 pm

M1D I have a pair of hubs I can send you if you need them . Bill
    ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-08-17

Post by ScottyJones Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:08 pm

I put in a deposit on the M1DK10N brackets, but might not be able to afford them afterall Sad If any of you are interested in this kit, but did not get your name on the list, let me know. Since I don't have them in hand, you can get contact M1D and get them directly from him on my behalf.

Thanks!
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:29 pm

The M1DK10N and the M1DK2V brackets are ready. I will be contacting the people who asked for them.

The M1D80TA brackets will be another 3 to 4 weeks, If you asked for them and especialy forwarded your deposit I will contact you as soon as they are ready

All of you made this happen by acting together as a vanning comunity, It could not have happened otherwise so be thankfull and appretiate each other.

M1D
    teamthunder7
    teamthunder7

Number of posts : 13
    Registration date : 2012-02-17

Post by teamthunder7 Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:09 am

[i]Which one of these brackets is for the front
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:22 am

Welcome to VV!!! the brackets he sells are for the front only
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:42 am

Think I'll sent Michel an email to see how the long M1D80TA brackets will be.

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:49 am

The job is at the manufacturing facility right now, two Fridays ago they told me they would be onto it early last week, I called them Friday, yesterday, because I hadn't heard from them, I find they haven’t started yet and now they say probably next Tuesday they will start.

What can you do? You want them to do a good job so you can't push them too much or they'll get pissed off and do a slam/bam job to get you off their case, and if you don't bug them they just keep dragging their ass.
    I'm running out of fabricators i can fire, I’ve already fired five over the past three years because they simply could not or would not do what they agreed to and said they were going to do. This is actually the toughest part what I do with these brake brackets is getting people to do what they said they would do.

I was able to foresee this kind of thing due to previous experience, that’s why I said back last November when I started this bracket production campaign for 2012 that it would be around March when you get your brackets.

Patience is required

M1D
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:51 am

Bump..

Not being impatient Michel. Wink Any updates?

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:30 pm

I just recieved an email saying they are almost finished and in the QA department. Suposed to be shipped to me this week.
    M1D

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:35 am