VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
diamond dave
Vantasia
Big W
donivan65
Jeremy Wynn
9 posters

New Member 1rst time G van owner

Jeremy Wynn
    Jeremy Wynn

Number of posts : 46
    Registration date : 2014-06-30

New Member 1rst time G van owner Empty New Member 1rst time G van owner

Post by Jeremy Wynn Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:51 am

New van owner here and new member of the forum
    Looking for advice on parts and mods for my newly purchased 1969 g van 90 V8 auto
    Always wanted one of these and finally the timing was right, I'm looking to restore and improve this machine and am looking for advice/links to parts and help in general from all the fine folks here who have the knowledge and have already done the things I'm just beginning
    Here is the start to the list of things I'm needing/ wanting to do

Disc Brake conversion for the front?
    Power Brakes? is it possible?
    Add on under dash Air conditioning. I know vintage air probably is the best source but has anyone done it with success ?
    My emergency flasher stick is broke off and turn signals don't seem to work, Guess I need the whole cam thing that goes in the steering column?
    My accelerator pedal cable is pretty fried and has a horrible feel to it, any info on how to get it working nice ?
    I'm probably needing a new radiator too, maybe a new large as can be aluminum unit?

I'm sure this is barely a start, it does need a rocker replaced and some body work but I have painted for 15 years in shops so I have that part covered and found links to patch panels. I have not figured out the paint code yet. I have scanned the forums but man there's a lot of info to sift through, so any help would be much appreciated  Very Happy  I'm ready to get busy working on this thing, my wife even said the van has a cute ass  Very Happy Very Happy
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

New Member 1rst time G van owner Empty Re: New Member 1rst time G van owner

Post by donivan65 Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:59 am

1st thing, go up to profile and put in your location so we know who we are talking to.....
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:08 am

Welcome to VV Jeremy. The best thing you could do to get started is try the search button upper right of this screen and type what you are looking for. So much of this has been covered, but if you can't find it then the chevy guys can certainly help you get started. They know there stuff. Post pics when you can, as we all like to see the new ride.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:40 am

Yeah! Welcome! yes search and read a few of the threads on AC, Brakes conversions, etc. A company called Vintage Air makes all sorts of AC conversions for hot rods and has done some vans, Google them, there's underdash and overhead units and a combine heater AC unit that replaces the entire stock fan box/heater box, but all are costly....throttle linkage is common problem bushings, springs and rod wear out. Plenty of talk about that here too!.. Another best start is to get the correct shop manual for your year van with all the diagrams for linkage, wiring etc, eBay is full of them, all years...then ask Donivan65, he is a wealth of info and pictures of everything mechanical on these vans! As for brakes, depending on how you intend to use the van, a perfectly good set of stock properly working drum brakes are fine, work for me for local cruising, light hauling. If its going to be a daily driver with lots of highway, you may want to go with the disc upgrade, but again, costly, the brackets alone are $100-200 each, if you can find them. Alum radiators can be found that fit, there's a few, but try clean and flush old one first and get a new thermostat, cap, etc. Turn signal usually involves getting new switch and cam, easy DIY project, readily available parts. Flasher switches available too, is it the factory option or was it standard by then? not sure.... Again welcome, if wife is your corner on your van project, you are already one step ahead! JT
    Jeremy Wynn
    Jeremy Wynn

Post by Jeremy Wynn Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:44 am

donivan65 wrote:1st thing, go up to profile and put in your location so we know who we are talking to.....

Got it updated, I'm in good old humid southern Indiana
    Jeremy Wynn
    Jeremy Wynn

Post by Jeremy Wynn Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:46 am

Big W wrote:Welcome to VV Jeremy. The best thing you could do to get started is try the search button upper right of this screen and type what you are looking for. So much of this has been covered, but if you can't find it then the chevy guys can certainly help you get started. They know there stuff. Post pics when you can, as we all like to see the new ride.

I've been searching and found some good info, but sometimes it shows up ford or dodge van links and it's hard to sift through all the different threads... Guess I'll keep on going., tons of good info here.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:12 pm

If you post 1 question at a time, it makes it easier for people to give you an answer,,,,,and you need to find out what you got,,,,,lots of stuff has been changed on these vans over the years,,,,,like what engine and transmission do you have,,,,,is it a crossflow or downflow radiator,,,,,here is what a REAL gas pedal looks like,,,,there are only rods that go from it to the carburetor,,,so,,,,,,unhook the rod from it behind the grille and see if the pedal inside the van is messed up or the rod going back to the carb is,,,,,,,

New Member 1rst time G van owner Repair30

New Member 1rst time G van owner Repair31
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:14 pm

,,,and do you have the coolest 2nd Gen Chevy Van radiator system????

New Member 1rst time G van owner 2nd_ge11
    Jeremy Wynn
    Jeremy Wynn

Post by Jeremy Wynn Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:42 pm

Ok, Originally the title says it was a 6 cylinder so it used to be a straight 6 250 I assume auto trans, it now has a 350 with what I believe is a turbo 350 automatic transmission just from looking at the trans pan.... The rod system on the accelerator pedal has been modified and replaced with a cable system, very poorly I might add... the pedal assembly itself is original.
    diamond dave
    diamond dave

Number of posts : 565
    Registration date : 2012-04-24

Post by diamond dave Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:28 pm

welcome, from northeast ohio. you will enjoy they hell out of your van once you knock the bugs out of it.
    I will answer as many of your questions as I can, from my hot rodding perspective.

summit racing has many aluminum radiators that will fit in the original area. theyre usually under $200.

the gas pedal has been a problem on these for years. I will tell you what I am doing on my other van . speedwaymotors.com has a pedal called a problem solver pedal. it is a universal hot rod style pedal that has a built in spring, and mounts easily. it's $39.99 and comes with a 23'' cable, but you can get an 8' cable for an additional $18.99. that will solve the pedal problem.

a place in Cleveland called mill supply, has the rockers and other panels for out vans. theyre not too expensive.

any air conditioning unit that you can fit under your dog house, and on your engine can work. you might be able to find an under dash unit on ebay for cheap, or one from a place like vintage air.

either way, have fun, and get that thing out and drive it.

hope to see you around.

Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:45 pm

Welcome to VV..Your in Good Hands..!!!..

Post by Jeremy Wynn Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:04 pm

diamond dave wrote:welcome, from northeast ohio. you will enjoy they hell out of your van once you knock the bugs out of it.
    I will answer as many of your questions as I can, from my hot rodding perspective.

summit racing has many aluminum radiators that will fit in the original area. theyre usually under $200.

the gas pedal has been a problem on these for years. I will tell you what I am doing on my other van . speedwaymotors.com has a pedal called a problem solver pedal. it is a universal hot rod style pedal that has a built in spring, and mounts easily. it's $39.99 and comes with a 23'' cable, but you can get an 8' cable for an additional $18.99. that will solve the pedal problem.

a place in Cleveland called mill supply, has the rockers and other panels for out vans. theyre not too expensive.

any air conditioning unit that you can fit under your dog house, and on your engine can work. you might be able to find an under dash unit on ebay for cheap, or one from a place like vintage air.

either way, have fun, and get that thing out and drive it.

hope to see you around.

Thanks for the info, I'm still searching the forums, tons of good stuff, I hope to have her whipped into shape by next spring if I can devote enough time into all the repairs. I hope to post some pictures soon

Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:50 am

BTW, Cute dog in the avatar, he will love riding in the van, mine gets on top of, what else, the Doghouse so he can see out!
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:03 am

Welcome to Vintage Vans,Jeremy,from middle Tennessee.
    Lots of great folks here willing to help you along the way.
    The 'search',as mentioned (for whats its worth) can get you in the right direction.All modifications and upgrades have been done more than once on here.heh
    M1dadio makes different disc brake brackets for your upgrade,depending on style/which way you wanna go.Look in 'G parts for sale'.
    You mentioned the cable on pedal doesn't feel right.Obviously it has been altered already.Factory,was a series of push style rods.
    As far as "Hey,I need a 1969 G-10 V- 8,3-4 core radiator",off the shelf...theres not one.You may have one (as pictured above,crossflow V8) Or a downflow 6 cyl.Someone might be able to re-core for ya.Several universals are around,just measure.Some folks have used early Mustang and smaller Plymouth to retro fit.
    Jeremy Wynn
    Jeremy Wynn

Post by Jeremy Wynn Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:58 am

Nightmoves wrote:Welcome to Vintage Vans,Jeremy,from middle Tennessee.
    Lots of great folks here willing to help you along the way.
    The 'search',as mentioned (for whats its worth) can get you in the right direction.All modifications and upgrades have been done more than once on here.heh
    M1dadio makes different disc brake brackets for your upgrade,depending on style/which way you wanna go.Look in 'G parts for sale'.
    You mentioned the cable on pedal doesn't feel right.Obviously it has been altered already.Factory,was a series of push style rods.
    As far as "Hey,I need a 1969 G-10 V- 8,3-4 core radiator",off the shelf...theres not one.You may have one (as pictured above,crossflow V8) Or a downflow 6 cyl.Someone might be able to re-core for ya.Several universals are around,just measure.Some folks have used early Mustang and smaller Plymouth to retro fit.

Thanks! I have still been sifting through the forums, I'll def look up M1dadio.
    My van has the 6 cylinder radiator, and someone did alter the throttle system by putting a cable on it. I may hit up a couple of salvage yards I know have really old vehicles and see if I can find parts or even extras if the price is fair I'll stockpile since it seems aftermarket companies don't offer much for these vans..... you would think Year One or Classic industries would have jumped on board with G series vans????
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:45 am

Post by Guest Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:16 pm

Jeremy, first off, how cute is that pup! I'm also a new member and recent purchaser of a '66 GMC Handibus. I'm jumping right into fixing mine up and our wish list sounds a lot alike. I'm going with a disk brake setup from Willwood and an AC system from "Old Air". I"m rebuilding the I-6 but swapping in a 700R4 automatic. Along with wiring, cooling and a few incidentals, that's it for phase 1. I'm sure you're as ambitious as I am in regards to what we want but the advice from these guys to keep it realistic is smart. Good luck and have fun.
    Sam
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:50 pm

Jeremy, welcome aboard Vintage Vans! Sounds like you're on your way to saving another one of these Classics! Enjoy the ride!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Jeremy Wynn
    Jeremy Wynn

Post by Jeremy Wynn Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:47 am

Thanks guy's, I am keeping it realistic. Everything I mentioned most likely will be done, just a matter of time and $$. AC, Disc Brakes will be done for sure. Haven't decided on power steering or power brakes, seems that will be a little harder of a process... I just need to find time to work on it, I have basically one full day off a week and I would like to at least devote 4 hours a week to it. I worked in body shops for 15 years so none of that will be a problem. I wish I had a couple of good 6 or 8 hour days a week to work on it. Biggest thing for me is advice from everyone here on parts links and what will work, it really is great to be able to search these forums and all the great info here. Thanks to everyone willing to share !

New Member 1rst time G van owner Empty Disc Brakes

Post by Guest Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:32 am

Check out "johnnylawmotors.com" for a complete Mustang 2 front suspension with disc brakes and rack and pinion steering. They quoted me right at $2g for my '66 G-van.
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:42 pm

I recently did the disc brake thing on my 68/108,
    much improved braking, not sure there is a need
    for the power brakes. The power steering is another
    matter, and as far as ac using just a hang on underdash
    unit you will find that during the daylight it will just tease
    you, once the sun goes down you will be looking for a blanket,
    I highly recommend installing a rear ac unit as well.
    is your radiator an down flow model or a cross flow model?
    they did the six cyl both ways
    Jeremy Wynn
    Jeremy Wynn

Post by Jeremy Wynn Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:34 pm

panelmanrd wrote:I recently did the disc brake thing on my 68/108,
    much improved braking, not sure there is a need
    for the power brakes. The power steering is another
    matter, and as far as ac using just a hang on underdash
    unit you will find that during the daylight it will just tease
    you, once the sun goes down you will be looking for a blanket,
    I highly recommend installing a rear ac unit as well.
    is your radiator an down flow model or a cross flow model?
    they did the six cyl both ways
    Radiator is a down flow, I figure I will put up a curtain or partition behind the rear seat and not heat or ac the back cargo area of the van, should help some..
    Did you use the disc brake setup from the member here who makes the backing plates?
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Post by panelmanrd Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:31 am

I tried that very thing with the curtain, did not work for me, this is why
    I suggested the dual air thing. I tried everything possible to make the
    front of my van cool and to no avail, I was just teased when the sun was up
    and ran for blankets when the sun went down. my current 108 had the down
    flow rad and I put in a universal aluminum crossflow from speedway motors
    rad was a 26 inch wide unit, had to fab brackets to hold it to the downflow
    braces that were already in the van, it has worked great, I eventually took out
    the 6 and installed a 5.7 tbi fuel injected motor with the 700r4 and that same
    rad keeps her cool.
    Jeremy Wynn
    Jeremy Wynn

Post by Jeremy Wynn Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:27 am

panelmanrd wrote:I tried that very thing with the curtain, did not work for me, this is why
    I suggested the dual air thing. I tried everything possible to make the
    front of my van cool and to no avail, I was just teased when the sun was up
    and ran for blankets when the sun went down. my current 108 had the down
    flow rad and I put in a universal aluminum crossflow from speedway motors
    rad was a 26 inch wide unit, had to fab brackets to hold it to the downflow
    braces that were already in the van, it has worked great, I eventually took out
    the 6 and installed a 5.7 tbi fuel injected motor with the 700r4 and that same
    rad keeps her cool.
    My radiator does look suspicious like a leak could happen any time.... I figured I would replace with a new aluminum unit....
    I would love to have TBI, what did you use as far as the computer? did you have to put in all the sensors? I may even go the 700 r4 route , I believe it has a turbo 350 in it now.
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Post by panelmanrd Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:42 am

I took it all out of a 91 Silverado, engine trans comp harness the whole
    shebang. never smell gas ever never floods never have to jack with a choke
    turn key and it starts no matter how hot or how cold, was by far the best mod
    I have ever done to an early!!!!!!
    and it gets 19 mpg at 70 mph.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:01 am