VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+27
Coop
Nightmoves
66BC
mik
vanny
Vannin Ken
Gothboy
BILLS66
Digz
dix
Space Truckin
white-lightning
Lazarusvan
mikeysly
austinmodhouse
Twinpilot001
64chevy
mbasaraba
Camaro Addict
VANagain
VanninBlaino
G-Man
Big W
bugeye bob
Rayallen
ScottyJones
donivan65
31 posters

Scotty's 1965 Chevy SportVan Deluxe Travel Cruiser

Camaro Addict
    Camaro Addict

Number of posts : 250
    Registration date : 2012-07-08

Scotty's 1965 Chevy SportVan Deluxe Travel Cruiser - Page 2 Empty Re: Scotty's 1965 Chevy SportVan Deluxe Travel Cruiser

Post by Camaro Addict Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:10 am

awesome van
    ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-08-17

Scotty's 1965 Chevy SportVan Deluxe Travel Cruiser - Page 2 Empty Re: Scotty's 1965 Chevy SportVan Deluxe Travel Cruiser

Post by ScottyJones Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:18 pm

Got some new rubber today:
    Scotty's 1965 Chevy SportVan Deluxe Travel Cruiser - Page 2 Photo_17
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Number of posts : 823
    Registration date : 2009-01-08

Post by mbasaraba Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:38 am

Our 66 Sportvan doesn't have the sway bar on it. It has holes in the frame but the belly pan has no holes for the bar. I wonder if the took it off to use this belly pan. I plan on using the sway off the 64 panel on the 66, just hoping I still have all the brackets! I seen the part number for the top rubber bushings on another post, hopefully I can fine the other rubber for the bottom end.

Scott, those interior panels under the windows look awesome! Do you mind sharing what "Fatmat" you used and where you got it? Was it the peal and stick from Lowe's that I have seen some talking about? Tammy loves the van and looking at the paint we are guessing the Sport vans came stock with the two tone around the windows? Ours is 2 tone yellow.
    ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Post by ScottyJones Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:15 am

Matthew, the stuff I got was from ebay. Just search for Fatmat, it comes in different length rolls. Its a peel and stick with like a sticky tar like backing. I also (from the same company I think) ordered Body Armor which is a paintable undercoating/sound deadener/heat deflector that put on before the fatmat. Seems to work well so far, and I have plenty left to do other parts of the van...
    ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Post by ScottyJones Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:45 pm

Well, I pulled the trigger on a motor and I think I picked the right one. Found this beautifully rebuilt, fully complete 250 close to home for $800. Can't wait to get this puppy installed!

Scotty's 1965 Chevy SportVan Deluxe Travel Cruiser - Page 2 5i55k910
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:06 am

Good deal!! I paid about twice that for mine. And it didn't come with any of the bolt-on stuff. What kind of carb is that?

I like the steel vacuum and fuel lines. Let's see a photo from the other side.

When is it going in? Is Don going to help you? Let me know and maybe I can stop by. I've done this a time or two!

This will be a great improvement for your van.
    ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Post by ScottyJones Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:05 am

Thanks, Rich! It's a monojet and I think it has an automatic choke on it, so Im not sure how hard that is to get to work, or if I will just use my old carb. I'd like to use as much of the nice new goodies as possible.

Don's coming over on Saturday to pull my old motor and hopefully drop the new one in. You are more than welcome to come by.

Scotty's 1965 Chevy SportVan Deluxe Travel Cruiser - Page 2 5ld5ec11
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:23 pm

Ok,,,,,,packed up some equipment, picked up Scotty, went to In n Out for a double double, went to his work,,picked up his new engine that he had stored in his work van,,,,,went over and seen Devimau and his blue van down the street,,,,took the new engine to his house, pulled out the old, put in the new,,,,,,

Scotty's 1965 Chevy SportVan Deluxe Travel Cruiser - Page 2 Scotty10

Scotty's 1965 Chevy SportVan Deluxe Travel Cruiser - Page 2 Scotty11

Scotty's 1965 Chevy SportVan Deluxe Travel Cruiser - Page 2 Scotty12

Scotty's 1965 Chevy SportVan Deluxe Travel Cruiser - Page 2 Scotty13

Scotty's 1965 Chevy SportVan Deluxe Travel Cruiser - Page 2 Scotty14
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:28 pm

VANagain
    VANagain

Post by VANagain Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:57 am

Alright!! Wish I could have been there to lend a hand. There's nothing like the feeling of dropping in a rebuilt engine.

So now you've still got to hook everything back up again. You'll like that automatic choke. My new engine has one. Now you can hook that manual choke cable up to control the water shut-off valve to the heater core. If your valve is froze up, Don and I know where to get a new one that a cable can easily control.

Good luck!
    ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Post by ScottyJones Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:36 am

Gonna spend the day today trying to get most of the other stuff back in the doghouse. My hands are sore today from all the wrenching we did!

So does that choke just need a 12v source? Where did you run the power to yours from? Mine doesn't have a valve for the heater at all. Where do you get the cable one?

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:40 am

That choke is an automatic one,,,,not an electric one, so it's ready to go,,,,,and the heater control shut off valve is the H405,,,,,,and you could use that old choke knob to work it or put another knob, like mine, under the dash,,,,,

Scotty's 1965 Chevy SportVan Deluxe Travel Cruiser - Page 2 Hcv110

Scotty's 1965 Chevy SportVan Deluxe Travel Cruiser - Page 2 Chevy_31
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:12 pm

Went over to Scottys and helped him adjust the valves, set the timing and got it to run today,,,,,,

Scotty's 1965 Chevy SportVan Deluxe Travel Cruiser - Page 2 Scotty24
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:37 pm

WHAT!!!!! no video...Come on guys your sliping. Like those videos. Very Happy cheers
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:05 pm

It's not too late for Scotty to take a video of the engine running,,,,we just started it twice,,,,the radiator, fan and belts are not on it yet,,,the gas line is on temporarily,,,,torque convertor is not connected,,,,

Post by Guest Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:36 pm

Congrats guys, great deal!!!!!
    looks like scotty is coming to the show then......
    64chevy
    64chevy

Number of posts : 364
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Post by 64chevy Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:56 am

What kind of oil or additives are you going to use for break in on that fresh rebuild. Even GM's EOS has been neutered by the EPA. And tripled in price. I've still got some of the good old stuff but my stock is getting low and I'm wondering how this camshaft killing new low Zinc oil is going to do over time in our old engines.

ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Post by ScottyJones Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:29 am

We put in 30 weight non-detergent to start. Any recommendations for fluids etc. break-in period? At what intervals should I change oil during break in?
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:26 am

After living & building a long time now - there are some oil suppliments that can be added containing the zinc. DO NOT!! ever run an engine (old style cam-non Roller) without this. There are a few oils that still have the zinc- namely Valvoline Racing - & some others.On my new engines- heres what i do - test run & drice -not vary long / far & change the oil. That -makes sure all the machineing garabage is out & in filter area.Then at 2000 intervals. after 1st,2-3 oil changes -i usually double that to 4000 mile changes & stay there with that. Always adding the oil suppliment. The old ways were to use non-detergent oils for break in=cast iron ring seating- - i was taught this -yet now doesnt matter as rings & new honeing of cylinders have changed, by most all engine shops. Never use synthetic in a new engine for break in.That can be changed over later & remember the synthetic still doesnt have the xinc additive in it.add it always .
    without the =zinc- the cam & lifters will wear badly & put fine metal particles in the oil & guess where all those go to -all the bearing surfaces . affraid Evil or Very Mad
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

Post by austinmodhouse Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:50 pm

I need a donivan65 in my neighborhood.

ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Post by ScottyJones Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:07 pm

He really goes above and beyond to help us stay on the road!
    VANagain
    VANagain

Post by VANagain Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:58 am

There's a famous old cam company that still has a little shop here off Morena Blvd. They sold me their additive for my break-in.

I'll look up their name when I get back in town tonight. It's a well-known name from the 60s and 70s.

Glad you're doing it right, Scotty!
    ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Post by ScottyJones Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:41 am

mikeysly
    mikeysly

Number of posts : 284
    Registration date : 2012-05-29

Post by mikeysly Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:41 pm

awesome rebuild, and the first motor didn't look too bad. the manifolds are superb! are they powdercoated? are they aftermarket with a heatriser? i too owe Donivan a huge debt as well as others on this site including twinpilot. speaking of whom, twinpilot, do you obtain the zinc additive seperately, or do you have to exclusively buy the oil with it already present, such as valvoline racing?
    ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Post by ScottyJones Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:19 pm

Thanks Mikey, I dont think those manifolds are powdercoated, they just have a coat of some cast iron looking engine enamel I think. All in all it's a pretty clean motor, but we will see.

Got everything back on it and running, adjusted the valves per Don's instructions. Now I got some sort of vibrating, rattling sounds coming from the valves when I give it any sort of gas. A few other noises to that Im not sure where they're coming from. May just be something not seated all the way after I took it all apart

I went by Schneider Racing Cams and bought their engine break-in oil additive. They also have a regular zinc additive that you can use after the motor is broken in.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:37 am