VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+12
Admin
wylee
DanTheVanMan
Scott
64chevy
savage
VANagain
Kakster
wideload
donivan65
G-Man
Vanish
16 posters

The Blue No Door

Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

The Blue No Door - Page 4 Empty Re: The Blue No Door

Post by Scott Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:28 am

I'm looking forward to seeing that transmission cooler installed.

On my road trip I scored an aluminum radiator, but it doesn't have the transmission cooler. I've see one like you have listed on eBay, and have been wondering where to mount it, now I can let you work it out. Very Happy
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:56 am

Anything else I can get for you Scott?
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

The Blue No Door - Page 4 Empty Flasher mount

Post by VANagain Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:51 am

My blue van had that exact same flasher switch. It was mounted underneath the dash, very out of sight. I don't have a photo of it installed but in this shot you can see the holes drilled in that support. The two close together holes is where the flasher was mounted, pointing straight down (so you'd pull the knob towards the floor). And this huge relay was mounted further down that support. Not sure if the relay is really necessary. Do you guys have one on yours?

The Blue No Door - Page 4 Flashe15

And you're right, the plugs simply go inline with the two existing plugs. Just disconnect them and put the flasher's plugs in between. Very clever!

Last edited by VANagain on Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added photo)
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:06 am

Troy put a trans cooler like that on his ND. He mounted it on the pass side frame behind batt box. Works good and easy to hook up too.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:19 am

Tom I would have never thought to put it that far back??? Thats a very good idea, tucked up out of the way away from all the other crap and short lines too
    VANagain
    VANagain

Post by VANagain Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:40 pm

My radiator has the tranny cooler built in because it came with a PowerGlide. But since we are always trying to keep our engines from overheating, common sense would tell us NOT to run the tranny fluid thru it. However, the instructions from Bowtie Overdrive where I bought my rebuilt 700R4 say to run the lines thru the radiator even if you do have an auxiliary cooler. AND they say to run it to the radiator FIRST, which I'm hesitant to do. Why not AFTER it's had a chance to get cooled thru the auxiliary cooler first?

Here are some excerpts from their lengthy instructions. They are for a 700R4 but should be applicable for any automatic tranny:

Always run the transmission fluid through a transmission heat exchanger built into your radiator. Most installations don’t even require additional coolers if the radiator system is well designed. When you plan to tow, you should try to over kill this requirement. If you must error while designing a cooling system for your transmission, please do so on the safe side of the equation, on the side of supplying a little more cooling than is needed, rather than not quite enough.

The number one cause of failure with these transmissions is continuously running the transmission fluid hotter than it is designed to tolerate or frying the fluid during a single catastrophic incident. Considering the cost of a high performance motors and these automatic overdrives, we have never been able to understand why the Hot Rod community in general has such a cavalier attitude about the cooling requirements of these two costly items. We have had professional custom car builders tell us they don’t have room for a cooler in the radiator! We’ve had them tell us their customers don’t want ugly hard lines going to the radiator. Just because you don’t have room for a heat exchanger in the radiator or don’t like the looks of the cooling lines won’t stop their fluid from burning up!

Use the largest flat tube cross-flow style cooler you can afford. Install this cooler in front of the car’s radiator. Force air to be drawn through this cooler by mounting it as close to the radiator as you possibly can. These types of coolers are only effective when air is actively flowing across the fins and tubes. Make sure your cars cooling system has a fan shroud and the fan is positioned correctly in relationship to the shroud. The size and quality of the cooler is meaningless if air is not forced to remove the heat by flowing over the fins and tubes! If you live in a very cold winter location you will need to install a proper bypass system to control the direction of fluid flow through this cooler in the wintertime. You can avoid over cooling the fluid this way. These bypass systems avoid over cooling by changing which cooling device the fluid flows through last. In the summer time you want all the cooling you can get, so you want the auxiliary cooler last in the system. In cold winter climates you want the radiator water to maintain proper transmission fluid temperature so the fluid needs to flow through the radiator cooler last. Some areas get very cold and stay that way through the entire winter. In these areas you should completely bypass the auxiliary cooler from the system during the winter season.

Stop the vehicle and open the hood. Feel the return line from your cooling system. When you touch the return line, do so with caution, use a quick, light tap to determine if the line is scolding hot. You should be able to touch this line without burning your hands. Even the outgoing line shouldn’t be hot enough to burn you if you touch it momentarily. If you feel very high temperatures on the return line you should add a cooler. A transmission temperature gauge will help determine what is occurring. If you error on this topic, please do with too much cooling. The temperature gauge is recommended even if you don’t plan to tow. 150 degrees F or less should be indicated with a temperature probe (sender) positioned in the pan. The fluid can be seriously overheated if pan temperatures exceed 150 degrees F. This happens because overheating is occurring in the converter, not the pan.
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by wideload Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:21 pm

My flasher switch is mounted in the same place as Vanagain's was except it's positioned where you pull the switch toward the driver's seat instead of toward the floor( I think). I'm not sure how it's plugged in but I know that it is because I was going to remove it until I saw the factory plugs on it. I thought it was something that someone had added on. I'll take some pic's and post them when I get back home.

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:47 pm

So does Troy also have a cooler in the trans???? whats the fluid temp? Will it burn his tongue if he licks the return line? Bowtie would have a heart attach if they knew VanAgain is installing one of their precious units on an Early that cant even cool its engine, let alone a transmission,,,,but coolers need airflow to work,,,,here is where this one is going to live,,,,,behind the grille, hanging from the floor with air going all around it,,,,,

The Blue No Door - Page 4 Nodoor29

The Blue No Door - Page 4 Nodoor30
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:39 pm

I'm not seeing the line connections on this, but it shows that it was used on an 1985 Van, even a L6 292.

ACDelco 3037209: TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3037209-TRANSMISSION-OIL-COOLER_W0QQitemZ170348486572QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item27a98f9fac&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:52 pm

Thats a Plate Cooler That's In the Radiator !!!!! So this Cooler is the one that inside the Radiator !!!!!!! NO MUCH TO EM ''

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:15 pm

And that is sitting in the lower tank of the radiator in the coolant, heating it up,,,,
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:43 pm

Oh OK, I was wondering where that thing went.. scratch
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Post by Vanish Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:52 pm

Thats what I have always said ..... That cooler sits in the Cold end of the Radiator so after the coolant go's into the top and gets cooled it's got a Hot trans cooler waiting for your cooler coolant in the bottom.... so if you keep the trans cooler out of the Radiator the fluid will be as cool as it can be going Back into the Block... Plus when that cooler fails in the bottom of the radiator ... you pump coolant right into the Trans ....... !!!!!!!!

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:06 pm

Went to Pick a Part Saturday and picked some parts for the Blue No Door,,,,,a couple of coolant bottles and S10 door weatherstrips,,,,and the 4 way flasher plugged right in,,,,,and now we have 4 way flashing lights,,,,,still needs a turn signal switch,,,,,,,,,,,,

The Blue No Door - Page 4 Nodoor31

The Blue No Door - Page 4 Nodoor32

The Blue No Door - Page 4 Nodoor33

The Blue No Door - Page 4 Nodoor34
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:04 pm

And it gets a new exhaust system,,,,,,,

The Blue No Door - Page 4 Nodoor36
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:10 am

The Blue No Door - Page 4 Th_blueflashers
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:02 pm

There is electricity in the air,,,,,at least in the No Door,,,,,nice piece of copper tubing in the fuse box,,,,(wonder how many amps it is),,,,,That hazard switch looks pretty ugly to be next to the blower switch,,,,so it will probably go on the bottom or under the dash,,,,,,might as well put an electric fan on it,,,,,we wouldn't want it overheating while trying to get back on Vanishes's trailer,,,,,

The Blue No Door - Page 4 Nodoor37

The Blue No Door - Page 4 Nodoor38

The Blue No Door - Page 4 Nodoor39

The Blue No Door - Page 4 Nodoor40
    VANagain
    VANagain

Post by VANagain Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:51 am

Here's a photo showing where the 4 way flasher unit is mounted on Rob's Sportvan. In the middle of that panel you seem to notice it hanging out below less.

The Blue No Door - Page 4 Flashe16

It is still pretty visible when seen from lower:

The Blue No Door - Page 4 Flashe17
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:50 pm

My flasher switch is mounted just like Vanagain's. If it had the knob on it, it would pull toward the floor. Can anyone tell me what pieces I'm missing?

The Blue No Door - Page 4 100_3213

The Blue No Door - Page 4 100_3214

Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Post by Vanish Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:53 pm

Don when you pull it on dose the knob Light up or flash as well ????

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:43 pm

Thats where I put it, Wideload,,,,,,you need a 1445 bulb and a red knob that screws on it,,,,,,,,and it flashes when you pull the knob to turn the 4 ways on,,,,,,,,

The Blue No Door - Page 4 Nodoor48
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:12 pm

Now I understand. I installed a bulb and pulled the switch to the on position and everything worked perfect.

All I need is the red knob. Anyone have any ideas for a replacement?????????

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:41 pm

Did that option come on 64's???? I don't see anything like that
    VANagain
    VANagain

Post by VANagain Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:50 am

Here's a never-installed NOS flasher from 63-64 on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963-1964-NOS-4-WAY-FLASHER_W0QQitemZ180398484817QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_100?hash=item2a00966d51&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245#ht_500wt_948

A real bargain at $525, because they often sell for over $600! Razz
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Post by Vanish Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:17 am

WOW ... For the first time ever .. I feel Like a got a Deal on something !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 10:42 pm