VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Ford inline six swap 170ci for 200ci, how much modification is required?

TallGuy
    TallGuy

Number of posts : 23
    Registration date : 2011-09-21

Ford inline six swap 170ci for 200ci, how much modification is required? Empty Ford inline six swap 170ci for 200ci, how much modification is required?

Post by TallGuy Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:03 am

I have a 1963 E100 pickup which currently has a 170ci in line six in it, it runs but is a bit tired. I also have a 200ci in my garage that has been sitting for a couple of years.
    I live in Florida and would like to install A/C but I am worried about the drag the compressor will put on the motor. So I am going to rebuild one of the sixes, with a little bigger cam and upgrade to a two barrel manifold and carb for a little more juice.
    My questions is, will the 200ci drop right in or will I have to make modifications? If I have to make a bunch of mods, I would rather beef up the 170ci and stick with that but I have heard the 200ci's are bullet proof when built correctly, any help would be greatly appreciated!
    TallGuy
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Ford inline six swap 170ci for 200ci, how much modification is required? Empty Re: Ford inline six swap 170ci for 200ci, how much modification is required?

Post by econopoor Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:15 am

The 200 is a direct bolt in to replace the 170. Only real difference is the exhaust flange. Most 170's have a flat gasket and 200's have a doughnut gasket. Personally I'd prefer to see a full crossmember under a 200. The added HP will flex those flimsy stock sheetmetal arms. I've seen them cuase the floor to crack from stress. A stock crossmember from a 65-67 170 truck will work but you will have to weld some mounts to the stock frame rails. A bigger radiator is a good idea as well. A 200 is a perfect engine for the early Econo's.

Duane in Tennessee
    TallGuy
    TallGuy

Ford inline six swap 170ci for 200ci, how much modification is required? Empty Thanks Duane

Post by TallGuy Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:20 am

I am glad to hear this, I will take your advice on the crossmember, my neighbor is a welder i am sure he can help me out. About the radiator, do you think I could use the one that is in it if I use and electric fan to pull more air through it?
    TallGuy

Ford inline six swap 170ci for 200ci, how much modification is required? Empty Re: Ford inline six swap 170ci for 200ci, how much modification is required?

Post by Guest Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:33 am

Tallguy I would go with a four core aluminum radiator
    TallGuy
    TallGuy

Ford inline six swap 170ci for 200ci, how much modification is required? Empty Thanks for the advice.....

Post by TallGuy Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:56 am

Would you stick with the stock (pulley driven) fan or go with the electric?

Post by Guest Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:29 am

both
    TallGuy
    TallGuy

Ford inline six swap 170ci for 200ci, how much modification is required? Empty Thanks Mike

Post by TallGuy Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:37 am

I appreciate the advice.
    SMD

Post by Guest Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:56 am

Always use an electric fan with at least 2800cfm.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Post by econopoor Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:50 pm

Airflow through the doghouse is the limiting factor. Only so much can move through. A thicker core will help. Make sure the radiator is sealed so the air has to go through it and not around it. A flap on the lid to seal it so air doesn't go over the top is a plus. I'd say try the stock radiator and see if you have any overheating problems and go from there. You can add an electric fan if you think it's needed. I'd replace the stock four bladed fan with a five or six blade fan. Just remember. The more crap you have in the doghouse the more air you block. It's easy to start out small and add to the cooling needs as you go.

The crossmember is a bit of work. Finding a little six crossmember can be hard. Tim in KY may be able to help with that. You'll also need a pair of mounts off a spare frame. The 61-64's have one pair welded to the frame rails that the sheet metal arms bolt to. A second set will need to be added to these on the inside of the frame as the full crossmember has four bolts per side. I believe the original pair are in the wrong place and will need to be moved. They are just spot welded to the frame and are not too hard to remove. I've also seen people use angle iron welded to the frame rails to do this but I like using the stock brackets. Hope this helps.

Duane in Tennessee.
    TallGuy
    TallGuy

Ford inline six swap 170ci for 200ci, how much modification is required? Empty Thanks Duane

Post by TallGuy Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:44 am

I have already started my search and have psoken to my neighbor (he is a welder by profession) as a back up.
    SMD
    TallGuy
    TallGuy

Ford inline six swap 170ci for 200ci, how much modification is required? Empty Airflow through doghouse?

Post by TallGuy Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:45 am

Have you tried to make an air dam to feed air into the doghouse from under the truck?

Post by Guest Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:33 am

stock air dams(belly pans) are available but I never have used one in almost 40 years. They are only good when the vehicle is moving and when it is stopped is when the heat guilds up.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Post by econopoor Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:27 pm

I think airflow is fine. As I said, Just make sure what you have is going through the radiator and not around it.

Duane in Tennessee

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:18 pm