VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Broken, Missing, Can't find it !!!

Lyrad
    Lyrad

Number of posts : 277
    Registration date : 2011-01-20

Broken, Missing, Can't find it !!!  Empty Broken, Missing, Can't find it !!!

Post by Lyrad Sat May 14, 2011 9:11 am

I need HELP!
    I have this huge list of repairs that I need to fix so that my Old Girl can pass Provincial Vehicle inspection, hoping you all can help me with info and suggestions.

1969 G10 350 ci with a turbo 400 trany

1 - Marker lights, when I removed the lens I found there is no wiring. Not even a hole from the body to the front door for a wire to pass through. ** I thought the 69 came with working marker lights or was it just an option??

2 - Back up lights, I can't find a switch. ** Where should I look for the switch??

3 - Passing gear kick down switch, same thing can't find it where should it be??

4 - Neutral Safety Switch, not sure were to look. Where is the switch suppost to be on a 1969 turbo 400??

Broken, Missing, Can't find it !!!  07810

If you know the answers to any of these question, I need to hear from you.

Thanks in Advance

Broken, Missing, Can't find it !!!  07910

Broken, Missing, Can't find it !!!  08010

Broken, Missing, Can't find it !!!  08110
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Broken, Missing, Can't find it !!!  Empty Re: Broken, Missing, Can't find it !!!

Post by donivan65 Sat May 14, 2011 9:35 am

You got problems because none of that stuff belongs on that truck,,,,,,those doors probably came from an earlier 2nd Gen where that was only a reflector, not a light. That steering column is a bunch of pieces,,,,,not made for a BU/Safety Neutral switch. Do you have a kick down cable sticking out of the transmission that is not connected to the carburetor? You can rig up a Safety Neutral Switch/Back up light combination switch onto the lever that goes onto the transmission. Are they REALLY going to check these items out? I am sitting in a driveway,,,in the 40 degree rain,,,,,in my motorhome,,,in Chicago,,,,,and I have a 350 engine and trans in it, so its pretty close to the same set up in your van.....
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Broken, Missing, Can't find it !!!  Empty Re: Broken, Missing, Can't find it !!!

Post by donivan65 Sat May 14, 2011 10:18 am

It looks like you got part of a 3rd Gen steering column,,,,,those use a BU/Safety Neutral switch mounted on the column and activated by a tab on the shift tube inside the column,,,,,you might be able to mount one of those back on your column,,,,,,,and here is a link to the ones that mount on the transmission and hook to the linkage at the trans

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t5655-auto-tranny-starter-switch

Broken, Missing, Can't find it !!!  Vac20198
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Post by Lyrad Sat May 14, 2011 10:29 am

Donivan65 Yeah they checked for all that stuff and more and now I have to fix it or prove it doesn't belong. That shifter setup was how I bought it .....what a mess. I don't have a cable going to my trany, there is a couple wires that plug in the back of the transmission and i followed them to the fuse box, There must be a switch some where?

Do you have more info on that rig up idea, like type of switch. Thanks
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Post by Lyrad Sat May 14, 2011 10:42 am

It look's to me that it is the right column but has been changed over to a cable control from the stock linkage set up, and the inspector guy didn't say anything about that....wtf
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Post by Lyrad Sat May 14, 2011 10:59 am

I do believe that is the neutral/back-up switch I need. Any one have one for sale or know where I can get one?Broken, Missing, Can't find it !!!  Neutra11
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat May 14, 2011 11:21 am

OK heres one thingy=The th400 trannys had no mechanical cable for kickdown!! They are electrically shifted from a switch that mounts on carb!!Then wiring down to a small solenoid on side of tranny. as for the backup switch =yes =ive seen them on ebay-a little spendy- yet this is what id suggest- B&M Transmission & im sure others -summitt , jegs and about any large tranny builders will have a neutral switch that can be put on a tranny- i do rmrember that when I buoght a auto shifeter from b7m they had one in the box - dont think i vevr used it either?? Ill look- yet thats only been 30+ years back- so id look online @ the tranny companys. Happy Vanning
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat May 14, 2011 1:02 pm

Our van steering columns have nothing to do with the shifter,,,,,,,,,they are both separate and all the levers and lockouts are underneath the van bolted to the steering box. But yours are inside, so somebody invented that set up,,,,,,so,,,,,,,maybe you can find a hot rod set up for your neutral/ BU switch,,,,,the one used for auto trans on vans would be a 66-70 PowerGlide,,,,,cars and pick ups would probably be the same,,,,also 69 and 70 vans with the TH350 trans,,,,,,so do a search for 66-70 Powerglide back up or neutral switch,,,,,,

Broken, Missing, Can't find it !!!  Pgleve14
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat May 14, 2011 1:34 pm

,,,or,,,,,,maybe something along this line,,,,,mount it to the pan bolt,,,,,, hook it to the shift linkage near the trans,,,,,,adjust it to work properly,,,,,,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEUTRAL-SAFETY-SWITCH-NS88-CHEVY-BLAZER-GMC-JIMMY-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c55be2a9cQQitemZ190417087132QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Post by Lyrad Sat May 14, 2011 1:50 pm

Right you are, I have a column from a newer vehicle. so thats what the hole is at the bottom of the column. I will check into making that work. Thanks once again.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat May 14, 2011 2:12 pm

I guess you could tape that Blazer switch to the housing and cable at the column and it might work,,,,,but your wiring is probably near the trans,,,,,,,,
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Post by Lyrad Sat May 14, 2011 7:32 pm

Thanks guys, I have the info needed to get my tranny kick down, back up lights and neutral safety switch going. very helpful having this site, awesome.

Marker lights, still need know if someone ripped out all my wirering or if it came with just reflectors? Any one else have a 69 with out working marker lights?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sat May 14, 2011 7:54 pm

Your van came only with reflectors, I heard once someone had a 69 with side marker lights, but that was the only one I heard of. Side markers were standard on the 70 model year. Take a lens off and show the inspector there not even a hole for the bulb. That should grandfather it for you. My 69 only has reflectors
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Post by Lyrad Sat May 14, 2011 8:17 pm

Awesome, that's what I needed to hear. Thanks G-Man. My list is getting shorter.
    Bear
    Bear

Number of posts : 849
    Registration date : 2010-11-23

Post by Bear Wed May 18, 2011 6:37 pm

my 69 108 was all org stock van it had the side markers and they were wired
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Wed May 18, 2011 7:20 pm

Bear your 69 is rare, most were just markers
    Bear
    Bear

Number of posts : 849
    Registration date : 2010-11-23

Post by Bear Thu May 19, 2011 4:07 am

vey sorry i sold it

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:25 am