VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
Scott
donivan65
G-Force
7 posters

Gas Pedal, broken. Accelerator linkage, missing.....

G-Force
    G-Force

Number of posts : 56
    Registration date : 2010-04-02

Gas Pedal, broken. Accelerator linkage, missing..... Empty Gas Pedal, broken. Accelerator linkage, missing.....

Post by G-Force Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:52 am

Guys. Thanks for all of the great info so far! Your payment for such great answers to my questions is.......more questions.

When I got my van, the gas pedal was laying on the floor, broken at the bushing. And yes, I have to replace all of that area as well. I have looked at the linkage, and the previous owner removed the stuff linking to the carb so that he was able to drive the van by gassing the carb with his hand. I bought a Chiltons on eBay and am wondering if I can expect to find all of the diagram for the accel. stuff in there? Also, has anyone made a better design for this? Thanks once again!
    -John
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Gas Pedal, broken. Accelerator linkage, missing..... Empty Re: Gas Pedal, broken. Accelerator linkage, missing.....

Post by donivan65 Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:04 am

Here is the 6 cylinder set up,,,,,

Gas Pedal, broken. Accelerator linkage, missing..... Thrott11
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Gas Pedal, broken. Accelerator linkage, missing..... Empty Re: Gas Pedal, broken. Accelerator linkage, missing.....

Post by Scott Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:28 pm

I pulled the pedal and linkage from my 68 with a Straight 6, it should bolt right into your 67. I will know by Wednesday if its going back in or not.

I will post some pictures, but it will have to be next weekend when I get back home.
    G-Force
    G-Force

Post by G-Force Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:05 pm

You guys rock! Now at least I know what I'm looking for. LMK Scott! Thanks!-John
    wacko
    wacko

Number of posts : 423

Post by wacko Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:04 pm

Any tips on removing the pedal? I removed the nut, tried giving it a few bangs with a rubber mallot but no luck. I just want to do some paint work to my floor.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:42 pm

drown the whole thing in a good penatrant oil like "Movit" or "Deepcreep" and the next day it will come out like it was new. If your painting the floor then get the two bolts out and remove the complete assembly from the floor, thats an area that needs corrosion protection.

M1D
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:44 pm

Well if you removed the nut then you could slide the shaft right off out the bottom, but that pedal sure does not like to let the shaft slide out easily. So spray it with penetrating oil, loosen the nut until it is flush, and tap on the nut. That shaft is D shaped and serrated so it can really stick to the gas pedal,,,,,maybe even use channel locks to try and squeeze the pedal off the shaft. Also check the plastic bushings in the housing after you pull that shaft out to grease it......

Gas Pedal, broken. Accelerator linkage, missing..... Repai128

Gas Pedal, broken. Accelerator linkage, missing..... Repai129
    gotavan
    gotavan

Number of posts : 242
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by gotavan Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:38 am

the first and second gen. linkage rods are a little different, the second has a bend in it to go around the radiator and is longer. You could cut out the bend and that would shorter it.
    Gas Pedal, broken. Accelerator linkage, missing..... Link1
    these are both 6 cyl. link rods.
    Gas Pedal, broken. Accelerator linkage, missing..... Link3
    Gas Pedal, broken. Accelerator linkage, missing..... Link2
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:22 am

Hey Gotavan, you think one of those transmission hangers would look good on my 200r4? jocolor

G-Force, I am not using the old linkage, confirmed that today. When I get back home, at the end of this week, I'll toss some pictures up on here, and send you an email.
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:55 pm

Guess that means no about the transmission hanger..

Here's the pictures of what I pulled from mine, and a reference image from the service book.

Gas Pedal, broken. Accelerator linkage, missing..... 20090911

Don’t have #3 or #7, but there is a thread on here telling where to buy these bushings new.

#16 is missing; it’s just another bushing, it keeps the rod from rubbing on the body.

#24 is there, it looks different then this one, but its the stock bracket.

#12 spring is missing, but you probably want to get a new spring here anyway.

This all came from a 68 2nd Gen 90" that had an L6, and a Monojet Carburetor.

The #11 bolt threads directly into the intake manifold, might want to make sure you have the hole for it.

Gas Pedal, broken. Accelerator linkage, missing..... 2110

Gas Pedal, broken. Accelerator linkage, missing..... 2010

Gas Pedal, broken. Accelerator linkage, missing..... 1910
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:59 pm

It may be that #24 is different because of the Powerglide linkage. There was probably some Transmission linkage that connected there too.
    G-Force
    G-Force

Post by G-Force Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:08 pm

B E A utiful! PM sent Scott. Thanks for all of the help guys.

PS. Got the Chiltons on Saturday. Tons of good info. I highly suggest it for you purists!
    -John
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Tue May 04, 2010 9:59 am

Hey G-Force,

You get that linkage in yet?

I'm wondering how smooth it went..

Gas Pedal, broken. Accelerator linkage, missing..... Empty I got lucky

Post by Guest Wed May 05, 2010 12:20 pm

When I swapped out the six-banger for a testy little small block, a the Chevy parts counter the guy suggested an Auto Tranny Cable Linkage unit that was the exact right length to go from the pedal to the AFB I set on it.
    The carb end even had a swivel point to account for the arc of the throw, so no binding.
    Still didn't stop me from tryin' to mash the throttle a little further than the stops each time I wanted to launch it, or burn a little off the L6015's holdin' up the backend! Very Happy
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed May 05, 2010 1:52 pm

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Gas Pedal, broken. Accelerator linkage, missing..... Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 9:53 am