VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
G-Man
tody
6 posters

disc brakes - what do i have on my van?

tody
    tody

Number of posts : 91
    Registration date : 2010-09-15

disc brakes - what do i have on my van? Empty disc brakes - what do i have on my van?

Post by tody Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:54 am

i had the chance to look a little closer at my van. much to my surprise i found front disc brakes (i didn't buy it myself and nobody told me before, just in case you think i'm stupid tongue ).

but which kit do i have? it looks a lot like dennis' kit from dddiscbrakes. can anyone confirm this?
    disc brakes - what do i have on my van? IMG_0382
    disc brakes - what do i have on my van? IMG_0383
    disc brakes - what do i have on my van? IMG_0385
    disc brakes - what do i have on my van? IMG_0384

if it's really dennis' kit - can anyone provide me with the part numbers of calipers, pads and hoses? i might want to replace some parts.

then it's onto the master cylinder. having a 67 model it's obviously the dual bowl mc. it's leaking badly:
    disc brakes - what do i have on my van? IMG_0381

i was enthusiastic finding a rebuild kit at rockauto, Dorman TM35512. unfortunately, i was notified that it's out of stock. it crosses over to Raybestos MK512, but that's out of stock, too.
    also i'm aware that the built in residual pressure valve might be a problem to disc brakes, i also read on here that resleeving a mc is a commonly needed task.
    so what do i do with this mc?

any help from the pros is appreciated!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

disc brakes - what do i have on my van? Empty Re: disc brakes - what do i have on my van?

Post by G-Man Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:13 pm

Wow!!! That's a great find on your van, that will save you some coin

disc brakes - what do i have on my van? Empty Re: disc brakes - what do i have on my van?

Post by Guest Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:29 pm

talk to Dennis about replacement parts and to Vic about his remote fill Master cylinder. Dennis makes remote masters too but not sure if they fit the 67. I think they do.
    tody
    tody

Number of posts : 91
    Registration date : 2010-09-15

Post by tody Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:50 pm

i talked to dennis and inspecting my pics more closely i found a clue to which kit i have: the calipers are mounted on the rear side and hit the shocks. on the yahoo group this leads to the kit from TSM, which uses GM calipers and 82-87 Lincoln Continental rear rotors.
    dennis also provided me with the information how to check for and remove the residual pressure valve, so i'm pretty confident i can tackle my brake system...

Post by Guest Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:22 pm

Glad Dennis was able to help you out. He is a good person to know.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:22 am

Its easy to remove the valves, I have new seats if you mess it up, (expected)....
    Also, make a remote reservoir kit that fits, Dennis's will not fit the 67.
    vic

disc brakes - what do i have on my van? 100_1222

disc brakes - what do i have on my van? 100_1223

disc brakes - what do i have on my van? 100_1314
    score602
    score602

Number of posts : 140
    Registration date : 2010-04-05

Post by score602 Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:57 am

i used a ranger master,the adapter from industrial chassis, piece of threaded rod with a qa1 heim joint for the brake rod and a willwood perportioning valve that does front rear and has a brake light switch. used -3 stainless braded brake lines with earls adapters and the setup is mint.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WIL-260-11179
    http://www.industrialchassisinc.com/Web-blog/?page_id=88&category=3&product_id=12
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-643961/
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AER-FBPA0030-12/
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:06 am

Now you got me curious. Why wouldn't Dennis' remote MC fit a 67? The only difference is the hole in the floor.

Duane in Tennessee
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:30 am

Its a different setup, and a different master cylinder,
    vic
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:27 am

Mike,I think what Vic means is that just the remote fill part Dennis has(which is for his Ranger Master cylinder conversion kit,not either of the stock master cylinders) wont work on an original 67 master cylinder. Vic is the only source for a 67 remote fill lid and I ll be the first to say its a very nice piece. I have one going on one of my rigs,its high quality for sure. Vic,you should post a pic of the bottom side of the lid also.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Post by econopoor Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:20 am

OK. I missunderstood. I read it as Dennis' remote fill MC wouldn't work on a 67 body. What you said was Dennis' remote fill wouldn't work on a 67 Econoline master cylinder. Dennis' remote fill is for a Ranger MC that he sells for conversion to the Econoline. Yours is for the Econoline 67 MC. I get it now. DUH! I couldn't figure out why his conversion wouldn't work in a 67 body.

Duane in Dumbass Tennessee.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:01 pm

My bad Duane,I thought that was Mike's comment. I see its you now.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Post by econopoor Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:35 pm

I was wonderin who Mike was. LOL.

Duane, Still in Dumbass Tennessee.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:28 pm

Thnx, guys,,,,,
    vic

disc brakes - what do i have on my van? 100_1315
    disc brakes - what do i have on my van? 100_1316
    disc brakes - what do i have on my van? 100_1317
    disc brakes - what do i have on my van? 100_1318

disc brakes - what do i have on my van? 100_1319

cyclops

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:20 am