VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

DIY disc brakes

Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

DIY disc brakes Empty DIY disc brakes

Post by Seth G Tue May 12, 2015 6:45 pm

Has any modified the $10 weld on metric GM brackets for a front brake conversion? I came across this thread on the HAMB forum and was thinking of going this route.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/econoline-straight-axle-disc-brake-conversion.772222/
    Seth G
    Seth G

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

DIY disc brakes Empty Re: DIY disc brakes

Post by Seth G Sat May 23, 2015 2:26 pm

Well, I'm going to try this. Worst case scenario I'll have to get D & D brackets if I can't make this work. Everything I'll be using is identical to their kit but the brackets.

Total cost for everything, including new wheel bearings, seals, spindle nuts and dust caps, is $238.64 shipped to my house. Without the hub rebuild the cost with shipping would be less than $200

I'll let you know how it goes. I was considering doing a similar build to the rear but the cost is actually cheaper to go with a kit @ $350 shipped with GM metric calipers with parking brake and all the other misc stuff needed. The cost would be $175 or less for the rear if I were to forgo the parking brake and use the same calipers as the front, which is tempting with the auto transmission going in. But I don't think I'll do that.

DIY disc brakes GJQwA3

DIY disc brakes XN3AZY
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat May 23, 2015 4:32 pm

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:28 pm