VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+38
BillyBlaze
Vannin Ken
Joe Van
millwright71
organ grinder
Space Truckin
DanTheVanMan
Wheelie
vanny
dodge man
wirepuller
southern man
Stoopid john
austinmodhouse
HandiVanMan
kayjsharp
mrclean
Nightmoves
mbasaraba
white-lightning
Roman
EconoCarl
savage
dix
Rick's 66 Chevy Van
Digz
sasktrini
EconoUSAparts
jrinaman
Big W
G-Man
whopman
cruiser
jkr
RodStRace
BILLS66
Twinpilot001
Lyrad
42 posters

What would you do? LYRAD'S PROJECT

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT - Page 8 Empty Re: What would you do? LYRAD'S PROJECT

Post by G-Man Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:34 am

your van will be really something when it's finished
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Number of posts : 277
    Registration date : 2011-01-20

What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT - Page 8 Empty Re: What would you do? LYRAD'S PROJECT

Post by Lyrad Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:51 pm

Got a bit more done with the shifter.   I fogot to show a bracket mod I had to do so that I could mount the shift as far back as possible.
    What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT - Page 8 03910

I have the shifter mounded, but I needed to fabricate a special bracket so that I can support the shift cable.  This little bracket took me 4 hours to knock out.......trim, fit, mark, trim, fit, mark ..... over and over
    What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT - Page 8 05310

I used a closed cell foam rubber material to cover the shifter arm travel slot
    What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT - Page 8 05410

Here is where it mounted from the bottom looking up.
    What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT - Page 8 00710
    What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT - Page 8 00810

Now I was able to measure the lenght of cable that I need, it came out to 102".  I ordered a custom made cable. It should be ready for the week end and then the finial fit and adjust.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:20 pm

Looks great Lyrad!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:47 pm

looking good.

Post by Lyrad Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:56 pm

I had to do a rough setting of my pinion angle so that I could measure for my custom made drive shaft.  The true pinion angle will be set once the suspension is set, the wheels on, ride height set and sitting on the ground loaded.
    What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT - Page 8 02310

Now I can measure for the drive shaft.
    What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT - Page 8 01211
    What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT - Page 8 01310

I have taken all my bits and pieces to the drive line shop and ordered my drive shaft.  Might be ready for the weekend.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:46 pm

Looks like your progressing nicely. Bet you can't wait to get it on the road again! Thanks for the update pics!!!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Post by Lyrad Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:40 am

Yeah Vanny, you are sooo right. It has been a tuff summer not having a driveable van.....I can hardly wait. I'm shooting for a test drive in Oct. if it doesnt snow first.......down to the wire.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:09 pm

OCTOBER???????????????????? IN Alberta??????????? Best get the studded tires on & make sure that heater works really well too!!!!!!!!!!! Will get down to freezing just north of us 2 nite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Post by Lyrad Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:16 am

Burrr, Twinpilot001. Yeah they are calling for record snow falls this winter. I just hope it doesn't happen to early.
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Post by Lyrad Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:27 pm

Well a couple more weeks have passed since my last up date.  I have probably put down 30 more hours on various things, Man if I had to pay someone to do this stuff I would be in the poor house.  Here are a few of the things that I have been working on.  

I pick up my drive shaft, the guy I took it to charged me $270 parts and labour to make it, I thought was a good deal.  Then I cleaned it up and detailed it with fake chrome.
    What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT - Page 8 01010

I installed all my new hoses and found that my lower rad hose was having issues when I deflate my front bags.  I don't think that the hose that was on the van is the right one!  

What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT - Page 8 01310
    What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT - Page 8 03010
    Crap more good work done that has to be redone.
    What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT - Page 8 03110

OK.....This cant be right, this hose has more curves then Shania Twain!  
    Can anyone out there tell me what part number I would need to get the correct hoser ??
    What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT - Page 8 03410

Still have to figure that one out.  I had picked up the flex brake lines for the rear disks...price hoses for sure.
    What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT - Page 8 00311
    What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT - Page 8 00210

Next up...find a better lower rad hose, complete brakes, install gas tank and driveshaft.
    Getting closer to a test run!!!!! Oh Yeah
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Post by Lyrad Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:42 pm

Had a good day today in the workroom.  I made more brackets today for mounting the rear brake lines and checked the supension travel for hang ups. Yahoo goes full range with no hang ups.

What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT - Page 8 02610

What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT - Page 8 02710

On to getting the gas tank back into the Old Girl. Again no issues free movement.
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Post by Lyrad Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:53 pm

What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT - Page 8 04410

I was having a hard time picking a tire size for the fronts my options were either a 24" or 25" tire.   So I made a template to add a visual check.

What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT - Page 8 03710
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:10 pm

looking real nice Lyrad. That's a great look...with that front wheel up in the air.cheers 
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Post by Lyrad Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:10 am

Yup Big W, I am liking it. It wont be long and the air system will be install and then I will be able to drop it in the weeds. Thanks for looking.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:18 am

One way to get a radiator hose that works for you is to grab some pre-heat hose that's the same diameter. That's the stuff that went from the exhaust heat stove up to the air cleaner snout on carb cars. It's flexy so you can shape it to what fits the van. Then take it to the parts store and find something that matches.
    What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT - Page 8 Edl-65952_w
    dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

Post by dodge man Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:23 am

great tip rod,
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Post by Lyrad Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:56 pm

Awesome Rod, Thanks
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Post by Lyrad Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:57 pm

Well it's  time to once again up date the build.  Since the last upate I have had a bit of every thing happen .....good, bad, awesome and ugly.

Oct. 29  Was a great moment in the build, the Old Girl is finally off the jack stands and standing on its own suspension. The van cycles full up and down with no issues.  Whoop Whoop  

What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT - Page 8 01511
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Post by Lyrad Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:44 pm

Nov. 11   Not directly a part of the build, but a awesome day for any car guy!

What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT - Page 8 04310

What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT - Page 8 05010

What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT - Page 8 05210
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Post by Lyrad Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:26 pm

Nov. 23   Engine freshen up was done in April we had put in a new crankshaft, camshaft, bearing, new oil pump and rings. With the engine all hooked back up, fluids topped up, primed the oil pump and stabed the distributor.  

Cranked the engine, primed it with a bit of fuel and wammo she fired right up, after some quick timing and a carb adjustment I noticed the oil pressure dropped right off.  I looked at the floor and it was covered in oil.....OMG    

Quickly shut it down, it was running for a minute and a half ish.  What a Mess, after cleaning checked for the source of the leak and found that the rubber gasket on the oil filter was blown out the side.  WTF.  

Put a new filter on, filled it back up with oil and turned the key.  CLICK  and thats it..... Engine is LOCKED.

Nov.26  Man this is a tuff pill to swallow.  I drained the oil and started removing the oil pan.  
    to be continued
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:55 am

MAN That Really SUCKS Especially on a New Motor.!!!. We have had to replace a couple of motors at our shop over the years because of Defective oil filters... I would go back to where you got it from and say they owe you a motor the filter was Defective ... They have insurance for that stuff....I always put a little oil on the seal before I screw it on make sure the gasket from the old filter is not stuck on the block and HAND tighten it... But you cant help the defective ones I have had them leak on the seam also.!!!!!!!!! You Will Have to do a Complete Rebuild on that Motor Again.!!!..
    Vannin Ken
    Vannin Ken

Number of posts : 292
    Registration date : 2012-12-29

Post by Vannin Ken Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:38 am

That sucks.. had that happen on a SBF friggin oil pump shaft. thats a bad ass van you have, Good luck
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:47 am

sucks to hear this
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Post by Lyrad Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:42 am

JOE VAN wrote:MAN That Really SUCKS Especially on a New Motor.!!!. We have had to replace a couple of motors at our shop over the years because of Defective oil filters... I would go back to where you got it from and say they owe you a motor the filter was Defective ... They have insurance for that stuff....I always put a little oil on the seal before I screw it on make sure the gasket from the old filter is not stuck on the block and HAND tighten it... But you cant help the defective ones I have had them leak on the seam also.!!!!!!!!! You Will Have to do a Complete Rebuild on that Motor Again.!!!..
    Hey Joe,  I'm not convinced that it was a defective oil filter, still looking into it.
    How would I check to see if it failed?    I did prelube the rubber gasket prior to installing.
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Post by Lyrad Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:57 am

I did get the oil pan off and noticed that the crank on number 2 connecting rod had some discolouring......it got hot and the only one.  There are oil drops on all other bearing caps, weard....I'm not sure.  

What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT - Page 8 09310

The bearing spun.....any one have idea's of what happen to this fresh engine????

What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT - Page 8 12710

UGLY RIGHT

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 12:50 am