VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+38
BillyBlaze
Vannin Ken
Joe Van
millwright71
organ grinder
Space Truckin
DanTheVanMan
Wheelie
vanny
dodge man
wirepuller
southern man
Stoopid john
austinmodhouse
HandiVanMan
kayjsharp
mrclean
Nightmoves
mbasaraba
white-lightning
Roman
EconoCarl
savage
dix
Rick's 66 Chevy Van
Digz
sasktrini
EconoUSAparts
jrinaman
Big W
G-Man
whopman
cruiser
jkr
RodStRace
BILLS66
Twinpilot001
Lyrad
42 posters

What would you do? LYRAD'S PROJECT

Lyrad
    Lyrad

Number of posts : 277
    Registration date : 2011-01-20

What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT Empty What would you do? LYRAD'S PROJECT

Post by Lyrad Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:18 am

Howdy All,
    Well I just picked up the rear differential for my ride. I'm going to start by sandblasting it, then the mod's.
    I'm looking to get the opinions of others that have, "BEEN THERE DONE THAT" or maybe just a real cool idea that you have.
    Q - Should I spray paint or powder coat the diff ?

Crazy, I have a rear end for my van but no van yet.

What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT 32610

Last edited by Lyrad on Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add pic)
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT Empty Re: What would you do? LYRAD'S PROJECT

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:21 am

all ill add is this = remember - what ever u do to the rear end=?? its gonna get dirty!! - so - will you want to spend the bucks on it or save some cash & not worry about cleaning ??
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT Empty Re: What would you do? LYRAD'S PROJECT

Post by Lyrad Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:42 am

Thanks for the info, I kinda like stuff clean or at least better then normal. But you're right.....something more to keep clean.
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by BILLS66 Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:51 am

strip it clean it rattle can it then when it gets dirty you can do a 4 min wash and shoot it real quick again and it will look like new again! Bill
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:52 pm

If this is going in an early like your avatar, it's NOT set up for leaf springs. It's got link and coil spring stuff welded on. Before getting finish on it, it will need some stuff cut off and some stuff welded on. Go ahead and clean it (wire brush complete, blast ONLY if disassembled) then set it up for the van before coating.
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Post by Lyrad Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:55 pm

Thanks Bill, that all sounds ez. do as need, I will keep that in mind. Smile

Hey there RodStRace, I'm fitting it into a 69 G10. I know I'm jumping the gun asking about under carrage finishing....just looking at my options. Have you used the powder coat system on stuff.

Got most of the stuff off now, the bolt on stuff anyway.

What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT 33510

jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:47 am

that looks like one of those 9" ford rears out of a granada/lincoln versallies. not a real common piece but rear disc brakes from the factory.
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Post by Lyrad Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:36 am

Hi jkr, yes it is a ford 9" from a lincoln mark something. The factory disk brakes on a ford 9" is what got me interested in this piece. Its going to take some cutting and grinding to get it in, hope to get it done this year.

What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT 32810
    cruiser

Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2011-02-12

Post by cruiser Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:33 pm

I like your idea to go heavy duty with the 9 inch you will never have to worry about it. It will handle any power you throw at it. i crushed a truck with a 9 nch a month ago now i wish i still had it. there are leaf spring mount kits all over online. we used to stick 9 inch rear ends under 70's camros when i was racing. Ive done some powder coating at our garage on smaller objects. Powder coat is dent chip oil and gas resistant and it is a pain in the but to sand blast off so it will last forever. and looks good and doesnt fade. once its on there its on there. .

Last edited by cruiser on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Post by Lyrad Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:53 pm

Thanks Cruiser, yeah do it right once is the way to go. Maybe one day I can jack up my HP to 425 and not worry about getting the power to the ground.
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Post by Lyrad Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:42 pm

Here is an update on my project
    After driving it 2400 KM home I parked the Old Girl in my garage and headed over to my girlfriend place for a couple nights, when I got back home and checked in on the Old Girl My garage was flooded with gas affraid what a mess. I found a nice hole that someone had patched with some stuff that failed...... out came the gas tank. I took it into a local repair shop had it cleaned, repaired and a liner put in it.....$200. Here is the tank after paint.

Extra work I didn't count on! But better then new now.

Next up the rear brakes and park brake cables....... Bring it on!

What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT 2011_011

What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT 2011_012

What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT 2011_013
    whopman
    whopman

Number of posts : 387
    Registration date : 2010-04-01

Post by whopman Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:50 pm

Looks freakin awesome!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:50 pm

Never seen a tank red, And I have to say I might have a steal that idea. Looks great
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Post by Lyrad Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:34 am

Wow those pics are bright. Yeah I thought red might come off a bit bold, but figured it does hold flammable material and jerry cans are red ...... so why not. Feel free to use any idea's you see. This site is awesome for that.
    Cheers
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:33 am

Lyrad if someone would have told me they were painting the tank red, to my self I would have thought it's not my cup of tea. But after seeing that pretty tank I might go that color. Did you paint it or was it done when you had the tank repaired???
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Post by Lyrad Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:17 pm

The rattle job is my doing... I like it.
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Post by Lyrad Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:02 pm

Rear brakes and cables now in place, just have to finish the disk brakes on the front then I can bleed the system.

Been looking at the front end (grill) of the old girl, thinking a contrasting colour would give it a stronger look.

SHOULD I PAINT THE GRILL???
    what are your thoughts on that look or should i keep it in the body colour?
    I'm posting some pics of other members rides to show what mean ( hope no one is bothered by that). I did a photo shop on my grill before doing the change if i decide too do it.
    What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT 2010_128
    What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT Side_b10
    The real paint job would look way better then the photo shop job, well I hope. lol
    What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT Grill_10
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:39 pm

I think the color it is now makes the flames look better
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:52 pm

I tend to agree with G-Man, that color scheme seems to flow really nice into the flames for a two tone theme . I think it looks AWSOME just the way it is. To bad a person couldn't put some black water color paint on it where you would like, then car wash it off after to see what you liked better. I don't no ...but do these grilles unbolt, and if so do you have an extra one that you could paint black and just try it out? Also from what I have seen, if the van was all one color then a chrome grille, bumpers, mirror and door handle. Solid color with chrome theme(grille being focal point)....Just my 2 pennies worth on it.
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:22 pm

what about blue grill? and blue ralley rims? always liked ralleys painted to match the body, did it on a black '77 vette, blue '65 lemans and orange '68 gto and they all looked better than any chrome rims around. $6.00 should cover that project.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:58 am

The colors on that van go great together and the flames make your van. It is your van so do what you want to it, but if it was mine I wouldn't change it because I think it looks Bad A$$ now
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:22 am

Leave it alone!! Looks Good
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:22 am

I like the blacked out grille but keep the center bar body color. Blacked out reminds me of the grille of my old Nova SS. It really makes the amber lenses "pop".
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:01 am

I like it as it is, but if I maade a change, I agree with Tim... black out the grille inserts, leaving the perimeter and center bar silver.
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Post by Lyrad Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:14 am

Awesome, Thanks for the reply. The grill is a part of the front clip so it can't be unscrewed.
    Wash off paint what a great idea, does any one know if it is available?
    I like the idea of the blue grill with the ralley rims the same, the silver on the rims does kinda blend.
    I painted behind the grill black it was covered with silver overspray, made a big difference already.
    Blue grill and rims.....maybe.
    What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT 2011_011
    Before
    What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT 2011_013
    I suck at taping. lol
    What would you do?     LYRAD'S  PROJECT 2011_014
    Much better.
    The disk brake transformation is getting close, spent more time cleaning and painting then wrenching, is that normal? lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 8:35 pm