VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Twinpilot001
savage
6 posters

Help ID rear end??

savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Help ID rear end?? Empty Help ID rear end??

Post by savage Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:44 pm

Well I posted on the Chevy side,Ford side Now the Dodge side?? Got this Chevy van a few weeks ago. Was told that it "use to" have a Hemi & PG with a Ford 9 inch (not) Some of the guys at VCVC seem to think its a Didge or Chrysler rear end. It also is set up for a push button 2 speed auto shifter. Any help ( + or - )would be great. Haven't been able to find any ID # on it & haven't pulled chunk yet. Date on pics is Way off
    [img]Help ID rear end?? 100_3713[/img]
    [img]Help ID rear end?? 100_3714[/img]
    [img]Help ID rear end?? Angola10[/img]
    [img]Help ID rear end?? 100_3810[/img]
    [img]Help ID rear end?? 100_3811[/img]
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Help ID rear end?? Empty Re: Help ID rear end??

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:30 pm

Im staying with the old 55- & up Chev rear
    savage
    savage

Post by savage Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:44 pm

If it was a 55 Chevy ,why would it have a 4 1/2 inch bolt pattern??Like Ford Or Dodge(Chrysler)???
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8732
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:10 pm

http://gasalley.thetumbleweeds.net/tech_archive/images/mopar%20axle.jpg that sure looks like a 8 3/4 mopar rear end to me, on the front half is there numbers in the casting on the drivers side?? if so tell me what they are.. is there a tag on one of the nuts holding the center section in place.
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Number of posts : 1319
    Registration date : 2009-01-29

Post by 67a 100 pickup Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:54 am

I got this off dodgevanman.com......

All 8-3/4" carrier assemblies can be identified externally by the casting numbers. Additionally, the '741' commonly has a large X cast on the left side, the '742' may have a large 2 cast on the left side, and the '489' has a large 9 cast on the left side. Through 1965, the factory ratio was stamped on the identification boss, followed by an 'S' if Sure Grip equipped. After 1965, a tag was affixed under one of the carrier mounting nuts to identify the ratio. If Sure Grip equipped, an additional Sure Grip lube tag was sometimes affixed; later years sometimes had the filler plug painted orange.

Gear ratios available on the 8-3/4" axle through the years include: 2.76, 2.93, 3.23, 3.31, 3.55, 3.73, 3.91, 4.10, 4.56, 4.89, 5.17, 5.57. On OEM gear sets, the ratio is usually stamped on the ring gear edge. Ratio may be determined by the number of teeth on the ring gear divided by the number of teeth on the pinion gear or by counting the ratio of the number of turns of the pinion relative to one turn of the axle shaft.

dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:19 am

duane nice to see you here again. i havn't seen you for a while.
    savage
    savage

Post by savage Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:26 am

Thank's guys It does look like the 8 3/4 0n the link,but mines got a fill plug(can almost see in last pic) There isn't any tag on chunk bolts. I need to scrap all the gunk off to see if I can find cast # on the L side?? Thats the side that had been setting in the mud with a flat tire(for who knows how long??). Is the Sure Grip like a posi??

[img]Help ID rear end?? Ca_doo10[/img]
    Pic of drive shaft that came with van
    [img]Help ID rear end?? Angola12[/img]
    Found this in van too, Some kind of trans adapter??
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Number of posts : 1319
    Registration date : 2009-01-29

Post by 67a 100 pickup Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:32 am

The first pic is a modified ball and trunnion setup, is it that short because of the engine position or is there another piece? The second pic is a 727 auto trans flex plate that bolts the crank to the torque converter.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:46 am

yes it will have a fill plug. you would fill it to the bottom of that plug. and yes a sure grip is like a posi. the sure-grip /posi centers can get expensive. you can replace it with a center section that does not have posi. it is no big deal. if you jack it up both tires off the ground . spin 1 tire if the other side spins in the opposite direction or does not spin it is not a posi .
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:54 am

is there a engine and tranny in the van?? just keep posting and the help here will get you thru this. don't lose those flex plate bolts they are needed later.
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:54 pm

67a 100 pickup wrote:The first pic is a modified ball and trunnion setup, is it that short because of the engine position or is there another piece? The second pic is a 727 auto trans flex plate that bolts the crank to the torque converter.

FrankenDriveShaft!

My ball and trunnion doesnt have that funky short shaft/U-Joint setup behind it.

Also OP, theres a good chance I'm mistaken but if that was a mopar 8.75 chunk it would have tow bolt holes on top for a "pinion snubber", i.e. a little metal arm with a rubber bumper on top that sticks out over the rear u-joint and helps prevent too much twist/torque between the drive shaft and rear chunk.

You can always pull the chunk and see what gear ratio is stamped on the ring gear...
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:59 pm

well us old boys never did measure any bolt patterns on rear ends. Most of us could spot a rear end id from just looking at em. Now days seems everyone wants to get so speci9fic with measurements for id's thet it really confuses all??? As ,I stated long ago =if its a GM rear Housing - you will have to look on the upper Passenger housing for a stamped id series of numbers- scrape all the crud off or wire brush it & look for some isd.-1/2 ways from the center section to the brake plate.
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148

Post by jkr Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:54 pm

it certainly looks like a chrysler product rear end. with the long even pinion shape i'll wager it's a 489 case and thats why you don't see the mounting bolts for the snubber. certainly not a new piece but likely early 60's stuff. if the van had a hemi like you stated a 741 and 742 would likely fail under "stress".
    savage
    savage

Post by savage Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:57 pm

Twinpilot001 wrote:Im staying with the old 55- & up Chev rear
    Twinpilot You were right its a GM rear end. I got my griner with a wire wheel on it and cleaned off some of the gunk looking for the mopar #'s And the frist thing I saw was GM. Still need to figure out what year it is & what the heck it came out of?? Just wanted to say Thank's to Everbody that is helping me figure out whats all on this van. Is this a Great site or what Cool
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:50 am

just keep posting and everyone will help if they can.

Post by Guest Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:16 am

In the pics, I can't see any mounting points for a pinion snubber??

Post by Guest Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:21 am

On another note, Are you going to use the "console" that is sitting in front of the dog house? If you are, could you take a couple of side view pics of it? I'm putting an Allison automatic tranny in my L-600 truck and won't be able to use a stock type shifter. Any pics of it so I could see the whole unit would be helpful.
    Thanks, Larry In East China Mi.

Post by Guest Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:31 am

Guess I shoulda read the posts in between the first one and the last one! A GM buddy saw the rear end and said maybe a Pontiac rear from the '50's??

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:48 am