VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Noisey Differential in my 65

Richie Rich

Number of posts : 45
    Registration date : 2010-11-26

Noisey Differential in my 65 Empty Noisey Differential in my 65

Post by Richie Rich Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:37 pm

I have a 65 panel. My mechanic says the differential is making noise. He suspects a bearing is wearing out. Any advice on what to expect? If we're going to open up the rear end is it feasable to change gears for better road speed?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12227
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Noisey Differential in my 65 Empty Re: Noisey Differential in my 65

Post by donivan65 Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:50 pm

,,,,,,see what you got 1st,,,,,,Open it up,,,,,,,see what gear ratio you have,,,,,,,,see if the axles are worn out,,,,,,,,

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/g-van-general-discussion-f4/thems-the-brakes-t17824.htm
    Richie Rich

Post by Richie Rich Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:48 pm

We opened up the rear end this weekend. It's a 3.73 rear end. All the bearings are worn. The pinion has some in and out movement. The mechanic says everything looks original, shocks, springs, cover gasket. Where do I get repair parts? Would somebody on here, who knows about this stuff be willing to talk on the phone with my mechamic?
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:36 pm

It sounds like you have a 12 bolt rear axle ?? You can get a kit fairly reasonable through Summit or someplace like that, What you will need for axle bearings is going to depend on the condition of the axles at the wear area. If it hasnt been changed out the kit you need will be for the car but the only difference is the axle bearings, trucks are larger, if you need to use repair bearings for the axle then that wont make a difference.
    This is the repair bearing you may need for the outer axle.
    Noisey Differential in my 65 Repair13
    To use the repair bearing you will need to smooth out the ridge at the hub flange.
    Noisey Differential in my 65 Ground12
    There is alot of info in the forum if you do a search or maybe somebody has all the links filed away to post for you,,,hint Don,,,scratch that I just opened that link ,,lol

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:50 pm

I don't know that he is talking about the the axle bearings,,,,,,if the pinion is loose, it has 2 bearings on it and a crush sleeve on it to keep the bearings tight,,,,,,,,then the carrier assembly for the ring gear has 2 more bearings on it,,,,and there are those 2 bearings in the ends of the tubes whose job is to eat up our axles. I would say Napa has all 6 bearings and the crush sleeve,,,,,,

Noisey Differential in my 65 Napa_r10

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:43 pm

The 3:36 is the more common rear end,,,,,,,the 3:73 has more power for towing but the engine has to turn faster, which makes more noise and uses more gas than the 3:36. VanAgain has that rear end in his 65 and we could not find wheel cylinders for that rear end, so I gave him 3:36 backing plates and wheel cylinders to put on it. So how far have you torn down the rear end???? are the axles out???? If the section right behind the flange does not look like a shiny spark plug socket and has grooves cut in it, that will make a bunch of noise while driving,,,,,that is the most common source of rear end noise,,,,,then the ring and pinion howl when they are out of adjustment,,,,,,and then you got the 2 pinion and side gear bearings,,,,,so you need to take it apart to see what you find,,,,,,,,but I think you should find a 3:36 rear end......
    Richie Rich

Post by Richie Rich Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:46 pm

Indiscribable improvement. A completely different driving experience. I'm gonna take it out on the highway tomorrow. Thanks for all the advise.
    wishbone
    wishbone

Number of posts : 18
    Registration date : 2022-04-18

Post by wishbone Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:56 am

Hey Richie Rich,

This is an old post, but I'm left wondering... what did you end up doing to the rear end that resulted in this vast improvement?

I'll be crossing this bridge soon, with a seemingly original rear end in my '64 g10.

wishbone.
    gfleduc
    gfleduc

Number of posts : 371
    Registration date : 2015-09-19

Post by gfleduc Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:56 pm

FYI - I have all the P/N's for the 12 Bolt rears

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 26, 2024 10:27 pm