VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
toad
RodStRace
EconoUSAparts
southern man
chester42
9 posters

Rear drum brakes chirping?

Rear drum brakes chirping? Empty Rear drum brakes chirping?

Post by Guest Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:04 am

The right rear brake on my van "chirps" when braking (kind of a chirpy, squeaky noise). Lately I have been having problems with that same wheel engaging first under hard braking. In fact, it locks up completely before full pedal on the brake. I pulled the wheel and drum, replaced the wheel cylinder that seemed to be leaky and rebled all the lines and the problem still exists. Its really aggrivating and I can't pin it down. Any ideas?
    chester42
    chester42

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2009-04-06

Rear drum brakes chirping? Empty Re: Rear drum brakes chirping?

Post by chester42 Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:36 am

The linings may be contaminated with brake fluid and should be replaced,
    southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Post by southern man Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:10 am

I remember having this same problem with a car I had 30+ years ago. Seems like it was a wheel seal, but it could have been a leaking wheel cylinder. I just can't remember.

You need to first be sure you've isolated the correct problem, but chester is right. Once the linings have been contaminated they need to be replaced or you'll never be totally rid of this issue. But find the culprit first, or you'll have to replace them twice.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:30 am

Is it adjusted correctly? Is the anti chirping spring missing off the drum? Did you inspect the other side too? Maybe its not engaging correcty and thats why this one locks up first. I agree thats its possibly the shoes also but you really need to check all 4 wheels before you go replacing parts. Hows the drum look? Any stress cracks or heat discolorations? Lots of things can affect good braking. Check all the springs also.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:40 am

Drum brake diagnosis is becoming a lost art.
    You also have multiple issues.
    Chrips are usually due to the shoes not pressing smoothly on the drum. This can be hard spots in the drum, a bent axle or backing plate, or other bent components causing the shoes to move or twist when against the drum.
    Engaging first and more is something different. Check the adjustment at all 4 corners, and make sure the components are the same size and installed the same on both rear. Leading shoe is the same, wheel cylinder is the same bore, same hardware and age? After all this has been checked, there may be other issues, let us know what you find.

Post by Guest Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:10 am

Wow, thanks for all of the replies. I don't think the linings have been contaminated. The wheel cylinder had some seepage, but not enough to actually get on the linings. I would believe that the wheel isn't adjusting properly. When I replaced the wheel cylinder, I felt like the self adjusting system wasn't quite right. maybe the PO messed this up, I am not sure. What is an "anti chirping spring", and what does it look like? Does anyone have a good diagram of the brake system? I have been afraid to pay for a reprinted service guide for fear that its a poor quality photocopy.

An all drum brake system is new to me and I never had any issues with any of my disc brake vehicles. The brake components look good. New springs and liners and the drums look to have been turned. No discolorations or cracks either. If I don't jam on the pedal, I can stop just fine. If I get on it, the right rear locks and I skid, even at low speeds. Either that wheel is working correctly and the others aren't, or, all of the others are fine and that one is engaging early. Frustrating...
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198

Post by EconoUSAparts Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:55 pm

toad
    toad

Number of posts : 355
    Registration date : 2010-05-30

Post by toad Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:55 pm

My Gremlin had a right rear brake that would lock up before the others. Turned out to be and egg-shaped drum. Replaced it and the problem went away.

Post by Guest Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:24 pm

That makes sense, I'll look into that as well. I was trying to avoid buying two new rear drums, but I may have to. Thanks.

Post by Guest Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:16 pm

Rodstrace-

I am going to pull everything off and inspect each wheel (ugh) to see whats up. I was hoping I could hold off until I converted to disks, but, I can't drive it like this. Thanks.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:20 pm

Switch drums and see if problem follows the drum,,,,,,see that the self adjusters are on the correct sides,,,,,,,and check and see that the shorter primary shoes on each wheel, are on the side closer to the front bumper

Post by Guest Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:23 pm

Switching the drums is a GREAT idea! I would have never thought of that, you guys are the best!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:28 pm

Rear drum brakes chirping? Ford_b10

Post by Guest Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:30 pm

You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman.

Is this an original service manual or a reprint? The reason I ask is because the quality seems very nice. I have been avoiding purchasing reprints for fear that they are just photocopies of an original.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:34 pm

But look at the primary shoes 1st,,,,,,,REAL EASY to put 2 primary shoes on one side and 2 Secondary shoes on the other side,,,,,,you need a big shoe and a little shoe on each wheel,,,,,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:37 pm

Rear drum brakes chirping? 66_for10

Post by Guest Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:42 pm

Will do. Thanks again for the diagram.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794

Post by Digz Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:32 am

I dont know how the Ford parts work , but after just putting larger bore wheel cylinders on my dodge in the back , I was wondering if it is possible somebody had maybe bumped up your bore size on the side thats giving you grief. This wouldnt have much to do with the chirping but maybe the lock up part if the shoes aren't the culprit.
    MikeShums
    MikeShums

Number of posts : 116
    Registration date : 2010-10-14

Post by MikeShums Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:58 am

I had a similar problem and it was the other side rear that was adjusted too loose or tight - can't remember which. It took me staring at the left rear...right rear....left rear...until I finally got it right. "Men who stare at Brake Assemblies"

Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:09 pm

That manual is well worth buying. I found a similar one for a 65 for sale over here in the UK, which was a big surprise....!!! I bought it on the off chance that it might be useful, and found that it actually contains some great info and diagrams. I used those same pictures when i rebuilt the rear drums... Parts are very cheap and it is quite a simple job to do. Mine were leaking, so i replaced the cylinders and adjusters. They work very well now....

Post by Guest Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:18 pm

Are the manuals that Mac's sells any good (the reprints)? I have a 64 so I get to buy the 61, 62 & 63 supplement, and 64 manual. Mad

Last edited by fatkid on Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:18 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling and punctuation)

Post by Guest Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:33 pm

I am going to get the drums turned at my buddies shop. Does anyone have the minimum thickness for the rear drums on a 1964 Falcon bus?

Post by Guest Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:32 pm

I just swapped the drums from side to side and the problem went away. We will see what happens after driving with them like that for a while. Thanks for all the advice, I will let you know what happens. Very Happy
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:13 pm

So did you have to mess with the self adjusters to get those drums off or on? On those drums,,,,,you want them to be the same size,,,,,so you use a drum gauge to check them for out of roundness and size,,,,,,you find the worst one, try and clean it up and make the other one the same size,,,,I think the maximum over size is .090 over,,,,,,(So a 10" drum could be turned to 10.090 before the establishment says you throw it away),,,,,,,,it might also say the maximum size stamped on the drum,,,,,,,
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:34 am

They did not cast in the oversize until later, IIRC.
    For many years, the max. oversize was .060". Newer stuff (late 80s to current) can be even less. Nowadays, they tend to make stuff lighter, smaller and right on the edge to save MPG and cost. Of course, YOU have to spend more to buy replacements!
    It may have been .090" on earlier stuff. Another reason to get a manual!
    Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:13 am