VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Dual chamber MC with drum brakes...

Gileadgarage
    Gileadgarage

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2013-09-11

Dual chamber MC with drum brakes... Empty Dual chamber MC with drum brakes...

Post by Gileadgarage Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:04 pm

Hi everyone, long time no post.

The original MC on my 66 A100 was leaking a bit at front seal, so I am replacing it with a dual chamber MC. I already have the dual chamber MC and everything else to do front disc swap, but since I am driving the van about 8hrs to Maine coast next week I want to replace the MC and leave the drum brakes alone for now (they are all new). Do I need a prop valve?
    I am under the impression that different size whell cyls control the force to front and back.

I already have the metal trimmed and MC ready to go in, bought lines/fittings to make it happen. Later when I redo the front axle and install discs I will add a proportioning valve.

I just need to get this done this weekend....

Since I last posted here I installed a nice maple interior and carpet, repainted interior of van, dyna mat, etc. Looks great and still has a vintage look. I also have this 1969 Cox tent trailer in very nice shape, at only 470 lb it tows nicely behind the van.

Working on pics now, why does it have to be so complicated!?!?!

Thanks!

Mark
    Gileadgarage
    Gileadgarage

Dual chamber MC with drum brakes... Empty Re: Dual chamber MC with drum brakes...

Post by Gileadgarage Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:12 pm

tt

Last edited by Gileadgarage on Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Gileadgarage
    Gileadgarage

Dual chamber MC with drum brakes... Empty Re: Dual chamber MC with drum brakes...

Post by Gileadgarage Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:14 pm

Got a few resized. More to came later...

Last edited by Gileadgarage on Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Gileadgarage
    Gileadgarage

Post by Gileadgarage Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:20 pm

Dual chamber MC with drum brakes... 903ea7d8-7092-49b8-9bc4-433571cd418c_zps4tghq2r6Dual chamber MC with drum brakes... <a href=Dual chamber MC with drum brakes... 6511bc1c-9912-4fa4-9832-17425ec288e5_zpsxeww5a81" />Dual chamber MC with drum brakes... <a href=Dual chamber MC with drum brakes... 80899c67-27fd-4e15-aa98-ca26690b8d6b_zpsdr82m97a" />Dual chamber MC with drum brakes... <a href=Dual chamber MC with drum brakes... A794abe5-0538-4617-9e7f-eb2157060fa2_zpszskie8jy" />

Last edited by Gileadgarage on Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Gileadgarage
    Gileadgarage

Post by Gileadgarage Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:33 pm

OK, so I did find the info I needed right here on this great forum!

Apparently I will not have to install a prop valve (or residual valves). I have the HD front axle with 11" brakes if that makes any difference. I will install the brake light switch in a tee, only way I can do it right now. When I do the disc swap I will install a proportioning valve or manual bias. I will also replace all brake lines, but the existing are in good shape for now (old though!)

I have to get some more pics of interior (that pic does not do it justice!) and camper,  + tons of other things I have been doing to it as well, but I am terrible with keep my pics organized. While on vaca camping next week I will sort all that out. Dam I need a vaca, can't wait. Last trip to maine with van went well, I hope this time will be no different. I towed a utility trailer last time, probably even heavier then camper. Should be fine, did pretty well in the hills. I hope I have the opportunity to blow past a vanagon!

BTW, notice the precarious beer balancing in grass, yes it did spill!
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:16 pm

Can't wait to see those pics. I really like what you did with the maple. Are you going to stain it or leave it natural? It really frames out the interior and looks Great!!! cheers

Sorry to hear about the beer... Sad

Hope you have a Great time in Maine! Great place to relax and get away from the hustle and bustle...

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Gileadgarage
    Gileadgarage

Post by Gileadgarage Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:35 pm

thanks, it is now finished in 4 coats of satin honey maple gel stain, decided to go satin instead of gloss.

It was a mother btch to install that wood, but it was a bare tin can before so it was well worth it. The ribs are fastened down with countersunk washers and oval head Phillips.

The two interior lights are shallow ball jars modified with LEDS at the top, I hope to finsish that up tomorrow.

I used dyna mat on the interior but did not insulate, I did not want any condensation concerns.

The roof I painted lt ivory to match bumpers/wheels. Between that the tint and the fans it is way better in there!

Top priority is the brakes though, need that wrapped up tomorrow. I was going to try to get the pertronix ign installed, but it runs fine and I think it can wait.

I shall spill no beer this weekend!
    Gileadgarage
    Gileadgarage

Dual chamber MC with drum brakes... Empty Back from vacation, brakes worked fine

Post by Gileadgarage Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:03 pm

Trip to Maine went well, over 700 miles of back roads. Went up to Acadia, then down to Camden area, back roads both ways from VT. Van ran great!

master cyl works fine with no prop valve, brakes feel a bit better but no big change (aside from no more leaking brake fluid to worry about).

Pulled some pretty good hills and the stock slant did fine. had to grab second gear a few times but fortunately not 1st (since it means a complete stop!, I really think that trans needs to go!). Had some rain on way home, glad I lubed up wiper linkage and installed new blades. They work fine till about 55, at which point blades start to lift.

Leaving home...

Dual chamber MC with drum brakes... 712f6f2e-6787-4953-a13c-51080d76f5d2_zpso6x1l2xi

Somewhere in Maine...

Dual chamber MC with drum brakes... 7fbe6ec2-cf0c-40b4-bdda-29c2986580c3_zpsuwdfvq06

Dual chamber MC with drum brakes... 48fdc042-b2fd-4ca1-8ce8-6e9529b4e851_zpsh6omf39f

Pic of aluminum bike rack I built for camper. It is easy to remove and light weight (strong too!) I had no other options with the soft camper top, did not want any weight bouncing around on it.

Dual chamber MC with drum brakes... 4c8c6599-7b54-44a2-963f-db1f8d604958_zpswnr9yoma

picture of wood on ceiling, lights not installed.
    rear seat is from a Ford truck. I am looking around for something that folds into bed.
    I already installed 3 point belts all around.

Dual chamber MC with drum brakes... 78ffb6bf-d8bb-42dc-a918-69e72e199e73_zps96ivbk62

Future plans for the van include the following:

Built slant 6 - I have a late 70's super six I will be building, big valve head -.090, 9.5:1 minor port/polish (new casting). stock alum 2bbl intake, Weber, cam, etc. Just looking for a good truck motor, nothing to crazy. I will leave the existing engine intact and hang on to it. Only has 39K miles.

90A alternator and inverter.

Front disc swap

Maybe a different trans, I would like a 4spd but not sure what options I have with the short tail. I am not worried about the linkage, think I can do 4 on the column with pull knob for reverse. Any tips on a 4spd swap, or suggestions on a 3spd with syncro 1st?
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:38 pm

Looking good!
    The overall lengths of the transmissions are documented online. It will require a fair bit of work and while I'm a firm Mopar guy, I'd suggest looking at various modern 5 speeds if you are going to go to that much effort. You might as well get 2 more speeds if you gotta change the driveshaft, trans mount, mount location, speedo cable, shifting setup, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chrysler_transmissions

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?17287-Your-Guide-to-the-727-904-transmission

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Transmission_identification

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=113

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/4-speeds/3speed-info-swaps/3-speed-swaps.htm

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/four-speed-manual.html

Gileadgarage
    Gileadgarage

Post by Gileadgarage Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:31 pm

Thanks for the reply, and for the links, really appreciate that!

I do not care too much about OD. The van now has 3:55 rear (and 235/75/15's) and does 65 OK. Any faster and aerodynamics/wind noise become an issue.

It looks like any short tail A833 would fit with some mods (crossmember, DS, linkage), I have seen the OD 4spd with short tail, and found one but did not pull the trigger No ?

The thing about the A745 that bothers me is not just the non syncronised 1st, but also it has such a long 1st gear. If I can find a 3spd with lower/syncronised 1st I would consider going that route and keeping it simple. I think maybe the A230? I don't know, I'll have to read up on those links and do some more homework.
    While I would hate to pull a manual trans to install an auto It may also be an option.

Who knows, maybe I go back to the v8/auto idea. I have been going back and forth on that since I have owned it! The slant gets pretty good mileage though, and I just kind of like it. Plus, I am on a pretty tight budget right now and have a lot of slant stuff already.

Thanks again,

Mark

Dawgboy
    Dawgboy

Number of posts : 278
    Registration date : 2013-04-20

Post by Dawgboy Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:40 pm

Wow, Nice! So my parents shipped a Cox camper like that to Europe in 1975, and we still have it in Holland. Changed the top out in a rain storm in Lizard Cornwall, that was no fun. That old trailer was dragged as far north as John 'O Groats/Thurso in Scotland, As far south as Casablanca Morroco, and as far east as the Ukraine.

Good times!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:04 am