VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Fuel pump question.

Fuel pump question. Empty Fuel pump question.

Post by Guest Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:12 pm

Fuel pump question. 612

Any DO's and DON'T's with replacing my bad mechanical fuel pump with an electric fuel pump?
    This is for my '63 with a 170 engine.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Fuel pump question. Empty Re: Fuel pump question.

Post by donivan65 Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:24 pm

I don't like to do it,,,,those carburetors don't like high fuel pressure,,,,you will probably get get worst gas mileage,,,,so if you want to do it,,,,,,get one that has adjustable pressure on it.
    Kakster
    Kakster

Number of posts : 236
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Post by Kakster Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:33 pm

One advantage of the electric fuel pump is the ease it can be incorporated into an anti theft device. Wire a hidden switch into it and when parked with the switch off if the van is stolen there will be enough gas in the carb to get the van started, but once out on the street it will run out of gas and the car thief most likely will run away and leave the van undamaged. scratch
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:34 pm

That sure is a way to go,,,,,you want your van to be there when you get back. I have had a few fuel cut offs on my van,,,,,both mechanical,
    One was cable operated and this one is a lever under the floor mat. And they are basically the switching valve off a dual tank system.
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:33 pm

Where's the engine? Where's the battery?

If someone can find the ignition switch, figure-out the manual choke and/or pump the accelerator, then push DOWN hard on the brake pedal, notice that the shifter's on the dash, crank very hard on the small steering wheel, and not jump the curb... Then I'd think that maybe they deserve the beast. Not!

Years ago, some kids tried to steal my '80 Chevy G-20/350 V8/3 on the tree. Knocked out the ignition switch, then must have realized it was a stick!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 28, 2024 3:55 pm