VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
Digz
67a 100 pickup
61econoline
G-Man
Vanish
Scotts_A100
10 posters

New to the Forum with a '69 A100 Sportsman

Scotts_A100

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2010-06-02

New to the Forum with a '69 A100 Sportsman Empty New to the Forum with a '69 A100 Sportsman

Post by Scotts_A100 Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:13 pm

Just a quick note to introduce myself. I'd come by this site while searching for parts for my van. I'm the current owner (3 years) of a '69 A100 Sportsman, it's a 318 w/auto window van. I am currently reviving it back to a condition that it hasn't seen in years if not decades. My van originated from Oregon and was heading down the path of being parted out and then to the crusher. Overall it is solid with a single spot of rust that will have to be replace behind the passenger front wheel. I've currently just completed stripping it completely down to just the two axles in preparation for media blasting and epoxy coating. The doors have already been taken to the blaster and should be picked up by early next week and the body should be heading out by the end of next week. I've been documenting my activities/efforts on the AACA website under the projects/restoration forum and although I will keep that post going I will post major updates here too if there is interest. That's the short intro. I'm including a picture of where it stands at currently. Scott…

New to the Forum with a '69 A100 Sportsman A100_211

New to the Forum with a '69 A100 Sportsman A100_212
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

New to the Forum with a '69 A100 Sportsman Empty Re: New to the Forum with a '69 A100 Sportsman

Post by Vanish Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:22 pm

Welcome in Scott… .... Great to have you here with us , and we all Love Pic's here ... so let's see what ya got ........ again Welcome in ..............

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

New to the Forum with a '69 A100 Sportsman Empty Re: New to the Forum with a '69 A100 Sportsman

Post by G-Man Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:34 pm

Welcome!!!! Your timing for joining is great, On the 27th we are have a van show in Milford, MI. I know your van isn't ready, but your welcome to come
    heres more infor
    https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/do-you-know-of-a-van-event-f29/baker-s-of-milford-2010-t8361.htm
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:59 pm

Welcome scott good to see another early being saved.
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Number of posts : 1319
    Registration date : 2009-01-29

Post by 67a 100 pickup Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:57 pm

Nice looking van, who are you using for media blasting?? I am almost to the point on getting the underside, cab, and bed blasted on mine. Welcome to the site, keep us posted.
    Scotts_A100

Post by Scotts_A100 Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:00 pm

Thanks all for the welcome...

I did see the Baker's meet date and as of right now I do plan to come by, but I'm pretty sure that as of now it would be safe to say that it will not be in the van. But next year, I would not rule it out.

As to the media blaster that I've chosen, it is called Strip-It All.

As I mentioned in my intro, it was my search for parts that surfaced this website. There are not all that many parts that I need but I am always looking and considering my restoration options.

My van is a stock A100 Sportsman, not a Custom, so it never had side panels or the fibergalss panels around the windows although I've entertained the idea of looking for the panels but have not yet nor do I have any idea as to the availability of them.

As noted, my van came with a 318, it wasn't running but I was not concerned at the time as I noted it was from Oregon. Well the engine was the major item that pulled me into the restoration. I owned the van for 6 months before having time to attempt to start it and quickly learned that the filler hose was rotted and most of the gas I tried to pour into it when on the ground. I pulled the tank to get the hoses off to replace them and learned that a previous owner screwed the tank to the floor when they screwed the wood down to the floor of the van. I had the tank redone, bought new hoses from NAPA and put it all back together. I tried to start it and it was trying but would not catch so I pulled the plugs to check them and decided that I would at the same time check the compression, it failed badly. It would be another 12 months before I could work on it again as I had to do some extended traveling for the job. The next task was to pull the valve covers, it was a very sad scene. Ok, it was time to pull the intake and heads off and do a bit more detailed analysis. It didn't take much analysis with the heads off, the block was cracked on both sides of the valley, it was dead. As luck would have it I checked craigslist and found the next night a '71 318 for a really good price that just came out of a running wagon. I bought it and again the van sat for another 12 months before I had an opportunity to work on it again. I did entertain for a short while to sell it as is but I have a passion for these vans. I pulled the old engine out and tore the new one down to rebuild it. It did have some wear and the machine shop brought this to light as the smallest bore that they could go with was .040 over. The engine is back, the cam, pistons, rods and all are present and ready to be put back together but it will wait until the van heads off to get blasted and epoxy primed. So, there you have a bit more details on the history and the status of the van.

So, now on to the rest of the van. It was while taking the side and rear doors apart for media blasting I learned why the doors had a problem locking. The lock bolts were rusted into place and every one of the lower bolts broke from the rods when trying to turn/screw them off the rod ends. I am also missing one of the springs for the rod bolts.

The floor had the holes cut into it for the step but there was no step. Also the one hole, the slot, looks like it was cut with a torch and I've no idea if this is how they were cut at the factory.

I will be looking for new tail lights and backup lights.

I would like to find a better set of vent window gaskets. I do know of the one place in california that makes them but from what I've read so far is that they are not the best quality and they are pricey.

I've one cracked windshiled that will for sure have to be replaced. There are other items but those are the major things that come to mind. I've thought about looking for a junkyard that might have some of these parked about that I could check out but I've no idea as to where to begin to look for a yard here in michigan that would have any of these sitting around. Scott...
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:23 pm

Scotts_A100

Post by Scotts_A100 Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:38 pm

Thank's G-Man but I've already checked these out. I've heard that back-up lights are a bit hard to come by too. I did come by a nice, looks like new, set of front park/turn signal lights that were complete including the lens, gasket, housing and wire harness. Also, I've got to redo the majority of my main and rear harnesses as no one is making them and the ones that I have a lot of brittle wires that need replacing, that won't be a project until I am nearing the need for them.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:01 pm

replacing the wiring is something most of these vans need. Not a better time than now as you are restoring. Look forward to meeting you at Baker's. Many have come before there vans were done to check it out. Have a few this year that are just getting them on the road.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:27 am

Scott, If you make it to Baker's , look me up, I have a 66 Sportsman that may have some parts you need for the doors. I'm going to part this out if my chevy and work ever gives me a chance. I have went to Bakers twice without the van, this is going to be my first year with it there.
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Post by 67a 100 pickup Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:09 pm

There are some NOS backups on ebay right now, but they are pricey. See ya at baker's.
    Scotts_A100

Post by Scotts_A100 Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:15 pm

I also spotted the NOS backup lights and your right they are pricey, I will continue to keep my eyes open and with luck I may come across the rear stop/turn signal and backup lights in as good of condition as my front park/turn signal lights turned out (for only $10 each).

I have to say that I am looking forward to seeing some of your vans and meeting the owners. I am already working at locking up that date with the intent of being there camera in hand.

A side note that I hadn’t thought to mention. If someone has knowledge of where to find or has a A100 panel or window van that has the spare tire carrier in it and the van is either going to be parted out/scrapped I would sure like the spare tire carrier out of it, that is if it is the same as the original would have been in my ’69 A100. In removing it I would like to cut the body/floor/door edge where it mounts leaving the donor spare tire carrier intact and then I would cut/grind the excess body/floor/door bits off leaving the original mounting points.

The reason is that a previous owner had cut mine out leaving only small remnants of the original when they put carpeting on the walls. I can cut/grind what is left of mine off and then reattach the donor to get that as original appearance back. My personal goal is to get my Sportsman back to pretty much as close to stock as I can and besides I want to carry a spare tire. I know that this is not the usual part searched for but my van (and some might argue myself) aren’t all that usual to begin with. Any knowledge or assistance in locating one of these would be appreciated. Thanks, Scott…
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:18 pm

Welcome! I too have the hot wrench slot in the floor from a step addition.
    Mine looks similar to the picture too!
    Scotts_A100

Post by Scotts_A100 Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:39 pm

RodStRace,

So, slicing a hole in the floor has been done before? The question is, was this a factory slice or a previous owner slice. I can't imagine that they would have different floors for with a step or without a step and they just may have used a template to make the slice when needed. But that is just opinion, hence the question as to if it is like this on all vans with steps.

Also, I'd come across and read/followed your van story that you have been posting on another forum the same day that I found this forum, but I chose this forum as a secondary to my AACA posts. You too I see have made a lot of progress and I also see a lot of similarities as to where the two vans (yours/mine) are status wise. Good luck with your project. Scott...
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Post by 67a 100 pickup Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:04 am

My '68 has the some hot wrench hole in the floor for the step. I figured they did it when they added the travco top to mine.
    BajaCharlie
    BajaCharlie

Number of posts : 619
    Registration date : 2010-01-07

Post by BajaCharlie Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:53 am

welcome aboard
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:07 pm

Mine was absolutely owner added after the factory, it was not OE for a cargo and some of the bolt holes were added the same way (torch!) Shocked
    Someone later jacked the van up from under the step, so it's pretty tweeked. I didn't want it and didn't want to bother getting it straight, so it's not going back in.
    Glad you saw the thread on the other site, I haven't built one here yet. It's kind of in a holding pattern, I need to do the bodywork and it's getting hot here. LAst weekend was towing back an A-100 PU fro a friend, this weekend was sand drags with another friend. I've been putting off yard work too...
    Scotts_A100

Post by Scotts_A100 Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:30 pm

RodStRace,

That is so funny, you're replying to my comment about reading your other posting and was doing just that and reading about the A100 PU that you mentioned when a notification came that there was a post/update here. The PU looks to be in good shape.

I do have a question regarding one of the photos of you van, in the photo in the background there is a '68 Dart in primer on a trailer, is that a plain 2 Dr HT Dart?, just being curious.

I did some bump work on mine yesterday and removed the bits of the old spare tire carrier so now it is ready for a donor once I find one. It rained yet again here so there was no outside work today. Scott...
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:41 pm

The Dart is owned by the same guy that got the PU.
    It's going to get the SS Hemi treatment!!!!
    Let's just say there are a few Mopar nuts around here!
    Scotts_A100

Post by Scotts_A100 Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:53 pm

RodStRace,

This is why I asked... It's another project that I've been working on. And although it is not a A100 I thought that a single picture of it wouldn't hurt. I noticed when previewing this post that the front in the photo is clipped but if you click on the picture to open it the full picture if viewable. Scott...

New to the Forum with a '69 A100 Sportsman Dart_i10

Last edited by Scotts_A100 on Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : RodSrRace to RodStRace)
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:25 pm

Nice Dart!!!!
    Scotts_A100

Post by Scotts_A100 Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:16 pm

G-Man wrote:Nice Dart!!!!

Thanks G-Man, it is a long term project as it is being brought back to original stock condition, it is a matching numbers '68 GTS with the 383 and the 4 spd with a console. It will be at least another year before it's done and sees the road. I think that's enough about the car. My focus is to complete the van right now. Scott...
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:15 pm

Ditto on the Dart I had a 68 GTS 383 4 speed in high school.Sold it for 1200 bucks if I had only known LOL
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

New to the Forum with a '69 A100 Sportsman Empty your winshild

Post by dix Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:41 pm

if your windshild is still intact i woild sugest taking it to a local shop and they will be able to cut you new glass i paid about $90.00 for both with a 20 percent tint that is not a lot but i felt it would help opposed to clear. my mistake was not having the door & vent glass cut with the same tint when i had it out. i will be doing it next winter thou
    Scotts_A100

Post by Scotts_A100 Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:53 pm

dix wrote:if your windshild is still intact i woild sugest taking it to a local shop and they will be able to cut you new glass i paid about $90.00 for both with a 20 percent tint that is not a lot but i felt it would help opposed to clear. my mistake was not having the door & vent glass cut with the same tint when i had it out. i will be doing it next winter thou

Ok, First RodStRace is posting a comment about picking up the A100 PU while I was looking at the post on it on another site. Now, you make the comment about the windshield glass while I was looking online for any info I could find on A100 Window Glass. Strange... But it is also funny because I had decided just a little bit ago that I was going to stop by a local glass shop tomorrow too. Ok, time to hit the hay. Scott...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 8:15 pm