VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+11
Digz
EconoUSAparts
67a 100 pickup
benwah
panelmanrd
itruns
donivan65
kiwimopar
Dantra
69 a 100
dix
15 posters

fuel tanks

fuel tanks - Page 2 Empty Re: fuel tanks

Post by Guest Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:03 pm

its like swiss cheese...
    gotta get moving on the tank.
    this is the tank on the panel van.
    fuel tanks - Page 2 Dscn2112

Post by Guest Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:22 pm

having a hard time, going to finish this project when i get a real job. right now im subbing for the local school district.
    called a guy in town, only one, who makes gas tanks.. they are expensive.. and thats just the base price. if he says the dodge tank is hard to make i will throw another set of bills there.. no way.
    probably going to do it with the jeep cheroke tank. but that epoxy thing gets me thinking too. will it break off someday?
    a fellow vintage car enthusiast recomended looking for someone who works with polyethelene, (is that how it is spelled). make one for the van. see how much that costs.
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Number of posts : 1319
    Registration date : 2009-01-29

Post by 67a 100 pickup Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:24 pm

If you don't want to deal with the poly tank here is a link to a metal one at a good price. It's the same size as the one I have as mentioned above in the other post.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/

1996 jeep cherokee sport 6cyl fuel tank
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:31 pm

I have a single strapper in my 66A parts van that "might be okay", it was holding enough gas to move it around anyway. But isn't it almost impossible to ship a used feul tank by normal transport?
    Dantra
    Dantra

Number of posts : 293
    Registration date : 2009-08-31

Post by Dantra Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:38 pm

When shipping,,,it's not a gas tank, it's a water tank Smile
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Post by 67a 100 pickup Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:53 pm

Use some simple green or orange power degreaser and it will kill the gas smelll, and then like Dantra said it's a "water tank"
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198

Post by EconoUSAparts Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:54 pm

Im amazed at the ridiculous and dangerous advice you guys are broadcasting out to try and "sneak ship" a hazardous item like a used fuel tank. Im sure you arent fully aware of what could happen. Let's put the $10,000 fine you get hit with for shipping undisclosed dangerous goods aside. That pales in comparison to the total possible damages costs and possible loss of lives. ANY container previously containing gasoline is treated as dangerous goods and hazardous for a very good reason; ITS EXPLOSIVE. Extra precautions need to be taken to assure everyones safety. Even if you wash it good with solvents or cleaners that smell nice,that doesnt remove all fuel vapors regardess of how nice it smells. Is it really worth the risk of explosion to try and cover it up? Just picture a dock worker on a smoke break standing next to it on a hot sunny day with vapors rising. It could be tragic. What if a repairman is welding a support on a roller system when the package passes by it and it explodes from the sparks? The possibilities are endless.
    Just for the record I ve worked in the shipping industry for 27 years now and deal with Haz Mat on a daily basis. I ve seen countless safety films about Haz Mat and the accidents that have happened due to them. Explosions on airplanes,in trucks,warehouses, you name it. I dont normally go off on tirades but I really felt the need to sound off on this one. Im not trying to single you guys out or piss anyone off but I would rather that be the case than find out that someone got hurt or killed while I just sat back and kept my mouth shut. After all,it could be your wife,husband,mother,dad,child, or even mine for that matter that got hurt. Its going to be somebodys loved one for sure. I think you get the picture so let's all just be safe rather than sorry.
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:23 pm

Well said.
    Dantra
    Dantra

Post by Dantra Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:29 pm

damn, talk about how to make a guy feel like a dick....

my bad, and I have opinions about it as well...but I'm stepping away from this one.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198

Post by EconoUSAparts Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:48 pm

Dantra wrote:damn, talk about how to make a guy feel like a dick....

my bad, and I have opinions about it as well...but I'm stepping away from this one.

Dantra,I ve been told more than once before Im not the most eloquent speaker and that may just be the case here. Like I said,Im not trying to piss anyone off or embarass anyone,just trying to make certain you are aware of the possible outcome. Im fairly certain you probably didnt even realize the possibe danger. Its just so obvious to me because its what I deal with daily. My apologies if I came off like a "Richard" :-)
    Dantra
    Dantra

Post by Dantra Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:06 pm

was typed with a smile, not even close to pissed.

as stated...I'm stepping away with my opinions and respecting yours Very Happy
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Post by 67a 100 pickup Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:16 am

I was going through some paperwork today and found the reciept for the Jeep fuel tank. It came out of a 88-91 cherokee 4dr 4.0L 4X4 20 gal metal tank. The pics are on pg 2 of this post.
    Henrik
    Henrik

Number of posts : 156
    Registration date : 2010-11-26

Post by Henrik Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:45 pm

my car has a custom built aluminium tank that came with the car when i bought it,so have no idea how much it costed.

but it is basically just box shaped,so it shouldn´t be too hard to make.
    i can go take measures someday when i go to the garage,and have to look throug project pictures if i find a picture of the tank.
    the tank didn´t have a place for the gas sending unit but i made a hole for it and it works just fine.

fuel tanks - Page 2 02092013
    Henrik
    Henrik

Post by Henrik Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:54 pm

fuel tanks - Page 2 19052010

the sending unit is placed at the middle of the tank ,you can see a little of it in the picture. just behind the license plate
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:05 am

Henrik the term "car" really doesn't fit here. What you have is a "early"
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:00 am

Wow , I dont think I have ever even had a brand new truck that was that clean underneath ! Nice rig Henrik !
    Henrik
    Henrik

Post by Henrik Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:13 am

thank you! it took a lot of working hour and almost gave up, but wanted it to be perfect so just kept on working..

was thinkin of soda blasting but it´s very expensive over here, so took a knife (dont know what the right name over there is but its a mora-knife over here)
    and scraped off the whole undercarriage with it and than cleaned everything with thinner, and than 3 layers of 2component antirust paint that is for large boats so it really doesnt rust anymore!
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Post by 67a 100 pickup Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:17 am

Nice looking tank and it even has a drain plug, and the underside is really nice. Thanks for the tip on the marine boat paint, never would of thought of it and it sure makes sense here with all the salt and moisture. Have you got a picture of the scraper you used?? Looks like POR 15 has a similar product that is single stage.
    http://www.marine-paint.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=FLEX&Category_Code=Marine
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:26 am

Thanx Google and Wikipedia

The forging of Mora knife dates back to Medieval swordsmithing tradition. The blade of mora is forged of three slabs of steel. The heart section of the blade has traditionally been crucible steel of extremely high toughness and quality. The sides of the blade are of softer but more resilient steel. The result is an excellent tool which doesn't break easily, holds its edge well, and can cut even wrought iron and softer steel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mora_knife

Car, Van-Up, Truck, Early, it's one sweet ass ride Smile
    Henrik
    Henrik

Post by Henrik Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:32 am

here is the stone age tool i used, with blood sweat and tears! Very Happy
    the only reason i used it was because the undercarriage was in so good condition, even the original rust prevent paint was perfect.
    the biggest reason it was in good shape was the unbeliveable amount of (cant find the right word) anti-rust-penetrant. kind of rhino coat.

the drain plug can also be used if i put an electric fuel pump. but for now i stick to the old mechanical pump.

http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiedosto:Mora_knife.jpg
    Henrik
    Henrik

Post by Henrik Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:45 am

as you can see (bad photo) there was lots and lots of rust preventive.

fuel tanks - Page 2 24112010
    Henrik
    Henrik

Post by Henrik Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:51 am

i did a lot of research what paint to use, the one i used is made by a finnish paint factory and is especially made for bottoms of steel boats and pipes that are in salt water,so i would espect that it should be good enough to prevent rust on so called "dry land" Smile

and there´s no idea to save a couple of dollars on paint when you have been laying on the garage floor for the whole winter scraping, and than paint it with some supersave paint,and it starts rusting when the weather forecast says it´s gonna rain next week! Very Happy
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:19 am

I hear what your saying about working on the floor in the winter. Did that last winter myself. Your hard work paid off your undercarriage looks factory. Nice Job you have a fine looking early there.
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:25 am

dix wrote:no the tank is not that bad but you also hear about the tank sealer not bonding & ending up in the fuel system.just a guess by time you have any repair & sealer done Iwould thinkyou have near $ 100.00 spent.

I had my tank vatted and sealed inside for $125, got a sending unit off ebay while I was at it. I've had several tanks vatted and sealed by the same guys over the years with no issues at all. Any good radiator shop can do it.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:42 am

Great job, Henrick!

Over here, we call that stuff "undercoating", but I bet you came up with a bunch of new names for it after scraping it all off!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:12 am