VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+11
Digz
EconoUSAparts
67a 100 pickup
benwah
panelmanrd
itruns
donivan65
kiwimopar
Dantra
69 a 100
dix
15 posters

fuel tanks

dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

fuel tanks Empty fuel tanks

Post by dix Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:14 pm

has anyone found a fuel tank that will bolt up with out a lot of reworking??? thanks dix.....

fuel tanks Empty Re: fuel tanks

Post by Guest Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:32 pm

i have a nice recent fuel tank, but i'm not the original buyer, but it existe , probably not the original fuel tank, the inlet is approx 3/4 inch higher , but it fit nicely with a little twist...i think i'll try to reach the original seller, i'll keep you posted
    69 a 100
    69 a 100

Number of posts : 142
    Registration date : 2009-01-03

Post by 69 a 100 Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:22 pm

there is a place around the corner from my house that specializes in old gas tanks, i dont know if they can do anything for the vans but i can give them a call and let you know
    Dantra
    Dantra

Number of posts : 293
    Registration date : 2009-08-31

Post by Dantra Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:22 am

I gave up....

fuel tanks IMGP0764
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:08 pm

I HAVE A HARD TIME BELIVEING WE CAN'T FIND A AFTERMARKET OR A NOTHER CAR /OR TRUCK TANK THAT WILL WORK??? I AM TRYING THOU
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Number of posts : 744
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

Post by kiwimopar Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:12 pm

dix wrote:has anyone found a fuel tank that will bolt up with out a lot of reworking??? thanks dix.....

Is your old tank that bad that it can't be repaired? Most good panel shops could weld patches and fill for you. Make sure it is completely flushed of fuel & vapour first.

POR15 make a fuel tank sealer kit - great for use after welding up holes, and flushing out.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

fuel tanks Empty the tank has 40 years

Post by dix Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:57 pm

no the tank is not that bad but you also hear about the tank sealer not bonding & ending up in the fuel system.just a guess by time you have any repair & sealer done Iwould thinkyou have near $ 100.00 spent.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:26 pm

I would have radiator shop clean and seal a tank, so you can blame them if it does not work out right. But lets talk tanks,,,,,,what size are we looking for? what are the critical points,,,,,,something else may be close,,,,,,,it aint no big deal to move a filler neck around,,,,,so what does a Dodge guy need to fit in his straps,,,,,,,,what is closer,,,,a Chevy or Ford tank?,,,,,,,,,this is a Chevy,,,,,,what size is a Ford and Dodge???

fuel tanks 1st_ge10
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

fuel tanks Empty re. fueltanks

Post by dix Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:54 pm

1969 dodgemy tank is 29in long 17in wide 11 1/2 in high,
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:24 pm

Don, the Dodges have the sending unit/fuel pick-up sitting horizontally instead of vertically. You see it right there when look under the bumper. As I recall. the filler is on the lower left of the sending unit opening. The tank sits very close to the underside of the truck.

I also believe there were two slightly different tanks, one with a single strap going east/west, and one with two straps (north/south?).
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:52 pm

Ok,,,,,,looks like the Dodge tank is about 16 gallons also,,,,,,now what is the size of the filler neck,,,,,,what is the resistance reading of the sending unit,,,,,There is no law that says that the pick up tube has to be part of the sending unit,,,,,,you drill a 5/16" hole in top of a tank, slip a piece of 5/16" brake line down into the tank,,,,slap some flux on it and solder it in place and you just invented a fuel pick up tube,,,,,,and buy a universal fuel sender,,,drill a 2" hole on top of the tank, drop the sender in with a gasket and screw it in place,,,,,,,,,10 years down the road, people will really be looking for gas tanks for our vans,,,,,,there are lots of options depending on what you got, can find or how much work you want to spend on it.
    Fords are talking Mustang tanks, Chevy, Suburban tanks,,,,so its just a matter of doing some homework, 1st is to find a tank that fits as close as possible, then deal with the filler, pick up tube and fuel sender unit,,,,, I tell you what, that 16 gallon fuel tank in my 65 does not go too far,,,,,,in 67, they started putting 24 gallon tanks in there by moving the crossmember forward a little,,,,,
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:01 pm

I just remember looking though countless pages on the web trying to find SOMETHING close, but couldn't find a damn thing. I totally agree with you Don, we should get a game plan in place. There are still a lot of As out there, but the supply of old gas tanks is dwindling...
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:16 pm

So how much wiggle room does a Dodge have,,,,,that is, whats the biggest tank that can fit in there,,,,,what are the boundaries,,,,,,I list the Chevy one as 30" wide,,,,,,that is how wide it is between the frame rails,,,,,,you are not going to change that dimension,,,, long is the space between the crossmember above the rear end to the rear bumper,,,,,(people do move that crossmember forward to put a bigger tank in there),,,,,,,and nobody cares what the height is,,,,,I guess you can get a custom aluminum one made,,,,,,,,Out here in California,,,,,a lot of places remove the tanks on the wrecks,,,,others drill holes in them,,,,,,,So tanks are vanishing like your hopes of getting a good used California tank.
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:26 pm

try this one on for size it is a 22 gallon tank from a 1988 chevy
    g10 van size is 12 3/8 deep or tall 22 in front to back and 31 in
    long or side to side. the sender is in the top and the filler is in the
    drivers side toward the rear portion of the tank. the diamater of
    the hose is 1.5 in. The stock sender unit for the chevy also has
    the 3/4 inch vent to the filler neck. I recently bought one from a
    local radiator shop, was a new tank.
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:27 pm

it cost me about 120.00
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:40 pm

OK,,,,,22 X 31,,,,,,,,does that fit into a 2nd Gen Chevy? Is there a vent or fuel pump return hose connection on the sender base or somewhere else on the tank? Now the Dodge guys need to see if something like this could squeeze under their trucks,,,,,,,,,then we worry about the hook ups,,,,,,,
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:28 am

Your right Larry theres two diffrent gas tanks in our A's, Earlyer ones have a single strap frame rail to frame rail 18 gallon . The later modles have 20 gallon two strap front to back. Don Im not sure if you can cut a hole and put the pickup tube in the top as the tank sits flush against the floor bottom. Jeep Cherrokee tanks will fit. I saw one at the nats last summer. Its a plastic tank and you have to modify it to acomidate the fill, vent, sending unit, as the jeep has that inboard fuel pump, ect on the top. Welding plastic,?! I never did anything like that but im sure it can be done. Id be afraid to use some sort of epoxy due to the gas and the terrible additives the goverment insists on adding.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:17 am

So,,,,, some kind of plastic Cherokee tank,,,,,,,thats a start,,,,,we need more info on how to modify it,,,,,,,,,,as for the pick up tube and sending unit on metal tanks, I guess they could really be in any position as long as they feed off the bottom of the tank and the float can measure the fuel level........
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:35 am

So if I hear that a tank sits up against the floor and you need to move everything to the side for it to fit,,,,,thats a lot of work, so I think, what would Chevy do? and what they did is to build the upper tank saddles away from the floor so there is about 3 inches for the pick up tube and fuel sender wiring to stick up out of the tank,,,,,so that could be an option to allow more choices to finding the easiest and cheapest way of making a gas tank fit....,

fuel tanks Pb260011
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Number of posts : 1319
    Registration date : 2009-01-29

Post by 67a 100 pickup Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:56 pm

We talked about this a little when dantra was doing his tank. The '99 jeep cherokee tank (large of the 2) fits but has a few problems. The one I found in the junk yard is metal instead of poly so that make it a little easier. The in tank fuel pump/sending unit is crazy expensive ($200) and the back of the tank is sloped so trying to get a sending unit is a problem I haven't conquered yet.
    #1 there is a crossmember in the way of the sending unit/fuel pump that would make you drop the tank to work on it, shorten fuel line, reroute/lengthen fuel sending unit wire.
    #2 add new filler neck in our current location
    #3 weld up stock filler opening, vent lines up perfect.
    #4 our mounting straps will work.

fuel tanks Dsc02110

fuel tanks Dsc02111
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:23 pm

Metal tank on a cherokee. The wife has a 92 and and it has a steel tank. Her 99 has a polly tank. Mabe spinning the tank around so the slope is toward the rearend, then mabe the sending unit hole can be used? Then all you have to do is add your fill holes and weld the old holes.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:31 am

I BELEIVE 97 WENT TO THE POLY TANK. I AM STILL WORKING ON A TANK TO FIT IN THE A'S
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:02 pm

scottie8door on from the Yahoo Group posted this over there
    (I'll post the 4 speed on the tree set-up on another thread Suspect )

revamped the fuel system w/plastic tank from 98 jeep cherokee
    and flush mount screw fill cap from a boat supply. fits into
    the indent in the side and is polished aluminium.
    the 4 spd is 4 on the tree then using the auto shifter for reverse

fuel tanks Decsno10
    fuel tanks Decsno11
    fuel tanks Decsno12
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:33 pm

More info from Scottie8door

check for pn 52100179b it's stamped into tank.
    i tried a single strap on the tank when it was in place, and
    it will work as well. the tank is so close to the deminision of our stock tank. the front to back distance is about 1" wider.
    just used a portable jig saw to cut with on a slow speed.
    use a good epoxy to bond the plastic to metal or plastic.
    clean, clean, clean!!!
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:37 pm

Im parting out a 99 Cherokee now that my son totalled without full coverage so Im trying to recoop some of his loss. Not sure which tank it has but I find out. Anybody need a good jeep engine and tranny/transfer case or axles to make a 4wd van? Duke in Wisconsin used all Jeep Cherokee axles to build his 67 Econo 4wd and it turned out sweet.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 12:33 pm