VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
Digz
DanTheVanMan
itruns
jkr
67a 100 pickup
Dantra
10 posters

64 A100 P/U Resurrection

Dantra
    Dantra

Number of posts : 293
    Registration date : 2009-08-31

64 A100 P/U Resurrection - Page 3 Empty Re: 64 A100 P/U Resurrection

Post by Dantra Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:35 am

Update...

I was able to pick up a manifold locally from a guy on slantsix.org who just happened to be right here in my home town. And to boot, he just gave it to me, so I got pretty lucky.

After getting everything squared away with manifold I was able to get'r finished up and out for a test run. While buzzing around I would hear a rattle right at the shift point which sounded like a possible spark knock. I came back ans played with the timing a little and it would go away so I assumed tha'ts all it was. So a week or so later I finally got some spare time to set the dwell, timing and put in a new advance that I had ordred for my busted one. My little rattle didn't go away and actually sounded worse with proper timing and advance.

Later that night my wife asked if I'd like to go to El Rodeo (one of our favorite eats) and then says maybe we can take the truck. That really made my day...I instantly turned into a kid at that point. An hour or so later we wre cruizing to supper in my Darlin'. As we were driving I could here the mentioned rattle and knew what I was hearing, I was just in denile.

The next day I began the process of tracking the noise...which I now knew was a light rod rattle. I could raise the engine idle to a point that I could hear the noise, so I set it to rattle and began pulling plug wires one at a time. The noise went away when I pulled the #6 wire. I was kinda annoyed that the engine that I just put in had a rod rattling...goes to show that you get what you pay for and don't always take a mans word.

I dropped the pan (what a breeze in an A) and grabbed the #6 rod...sure enough, it had some lash. I removed the cap and was surprised that the journal looked pretty good but the bearing was a little rough. I checked a few others and they looked normal. Oddly, I found that the #6 journal had been turned .010 while the others had not. I also found that the oil passage in the #6 rod was blocked. It has obviously been rebuilt since all of the rods and mains had been marked with a punch. I decided to just put a single rod bearing in, clean out the oil passage and use sealer on the pan gasket...no sense in throwing more money than needed at it. Might last a day, a summer or forever, who knows.

I drove it around last night and it sounded great. Now I just need to replace the square tires for some round ones (Ha) and get the play out of the steering so I can venture more than a few miles from home. Loving this old truck more and more everytime I drive it.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:49 am

Danta glad it worked out without costing to much. Had to laugh about the square tires comment
    Dantra
    Dantra

Post by Dantra Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:05 am

yea, they're bias plys that have been on it since it was parked in 1975 affraid
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:28 am

Dantra wrote:yea, they're bias plys that have been on it since it was parked in 1975 affraid

Drive it a bit more with the square ones. That will loosen up anything you need to remove and find all the stuff that needs to be tightened! Laughing

Glad to hear the ol' /6 is just as tough as it's brothers. Wink
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:57 am

longest distance for oil to travel = first bearing to fail. and in the case of "the leaning tower of power" that includes #6 AND #1
    Dantra
    Dantra

Post by Dantra Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:44 pm

found some dirt in the bottom of the pan whille I had it off. I suspect that the combination of the dirt and the cloged passage on the #6 rod, that it was the reason for the failure. The dirt just kinda hung out in the bearing. Has awesome oil pressure...right around 40 at an idle. I believe it got a HV pump when it was rebuilt.

But yea, you're right. The last gets the least and usually goes first Shocked
    Dantra
    Dantra

Post by Dantra Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:12 pm

The new rod bearing did the the trick. Racking up some miles now.

Bought a new ebay drag link....75 bucks shipped. Perfect fit and Steering play allllll gone.

Super easy install...30 minutes tops, bada bing, bada boom

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400083993130&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:58 am

Very nice find Dan. Those don't seem to be available too often.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 9:50 pm