VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Twinpilot001
mikeysly
6 posters

original horn resurrection

mikeysly
    mikeysly

Number of posts : 284
    Registration date : 2012-05-29

original horn resurrection Empty original horn resurrection

Post by mikeysly Wed May 22, 2013 4:26 pm

can you all re-brief me on how to pb-blaster my original horns into working? is it just pb-blaster into the tiny hole for a couple of days or something additional? can i test them with my battery charger/starter or do they have to be mounted on the ride to work? Thanks!
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

original horn resurrection Empty Re: original horn resurrection

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed May 22, 2013 4:33 pm

get over to a junk yard & get the horns from a lincoln-Loud! you have no guarentee the old horns will even work.
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Wed May 22, 2013 5:19 pm

Yes you can test them with a battery. Just take them off & touch the horn mount base to the ground terminal & then touch the hot wire to the positive terminal. When you take them off check them & the frame for rust. If they are not getting a good ground they will not work. Also it wouldn't hurt to test the hot wire to make sure it is getting fire when you press in on the horn button. You can also spray pb blaster in the opening that the sound comes out. The horn on one of my vans wasn't working & after checking for fire to the hot wire I found that they wasn't grounded good & I had to spray WD-40 inside the horn & also inside the little hole to.

Last edited by HandiVanMan on Wed May 22, 2013 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Wed May 22, 2013 5:26 pm

THEY will work with any 12 volt source a battery charger or right to the battery as long as it has a positive and a ground they will work. Try taping on the horn with the power to it. I tried to get my 62 Chevy Bel-Air horns to work I used some pb blaster, trans fluid, WD 40, finally I threw them out you can get a high and low tone horn for a Chevy truck at any parts store pretty reasonable and they will bolt right on and has the right terminal and will save a lot of aggravation and time.. cheers

Post by HandiVanMan Wed May 22, 2013 5:32 pm

I put a original horn off of a 1955 Dodge Ram truck on my 69 GMC Van. It has a cool vintage sound to it.
    vanner68
    vanner68

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post by vanner68 Wed May 22, 2013 6:00 pm

My 69 had two sets of horns from 70's Cadillacs, and an extra low tone horn. Sounded downright evil....
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Wed May 22, 2013 6:08 pm

If I had one of the little smart cars I would put a locomotive horn on it. Very Happy
    I can only imagine what kinda reactions that you would get after blowing it at one of the countless number of dummy's that sit at green lights day dreaming, talking or texting on their cell phone or just sitting there spaced out.
    Optik
    Optik

Number of posts : 25
    Registration date : 2010-06-15

Post by Optik Tue May 28, 2013 4:13 pm

I used junkyard horns from a 93(?) Jeep Cherokee simply because they were easy to reach and get off and looked similar to the van horns. Nice and loud, gets plenty of attention!!
    I loved the vintage sound of my 64 Dodge Darts horns, somewhat mellow but still sounded like a big car, not a little bleeper. Caddy horns are a great sound too.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue May 28, 2013 5:51 pm

i LIKE HANDIMANVANS BEST!! PUT A HORN ON A SMART CAR THAT SOUNDS LIKE A LOCOMOTIVE!! be sure to use that at every unmarked rail road crossing while never looking= in that "Smart Car"" cheers lol! affraid

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 6:50 am