VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Early Heater Fix

Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Early Heater Fix Empty Early Heater Fix

Post by Seth G Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:48 am

I had my heater core re-cored a few years ago but the old heater valve leaked and was in bad shape. I found a NOS aftermarket valve, bought it and installed it, one big problem, the valve was defective in that it simply wouldn't let full flow through the core like the original. Couldn't get enough heat when it was cold.

My first plan was to gut the original and put a bronze slug where the valve was. Upon cleaning it up I found the bottom was rotten and I poked through it with a pic while cleaning it up.

Next I devised a plan to make the entire thing out of copper and bronze. I used plumbing fittings and some bronze sheet from work to make the bracket. I brazed the bracket to the plumbing with sil-phos rod and then fluxed and soldered the plumbing together. I got it together and it's working like a charm and hopefully will be a permanent end to my heater woes.

I also replaced the old fan switch with a 3 speed switch, all I could find, b/c my old one was somewhat finicky and intermittent in operation when switching on. I used FOUR SEASONS #35701. It worked well, I had to delete the U spacer that was on the old shaft and drill the knob out to 1/4". Drilling the knob was challenging to say the least, but I got it done and there was still some of the brass insert and the set screw still worked. The end result looks completely stock, the bezel fit perfectly and now I have 3 speeds.

I also installed a plastic wire controlled valve, FOUR SEASONS #74628, on the inlet line. I plan on shortening my old choke cable/knob and installing it in the valve knob hole in the heater box and have push-pull operation. I haven't gotten to that yet.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the new copper assembly until I got it mounted, but basically I just mimicked the old valves opening and bracket.

Btw, when I pulled the core to do this, that pos aftermarket valve looked worse after a couple years than the fomoco one that had been on there for at least decades.

Early Heater Fix W6qhOb
    Early Heater Fix Dkuwrr
    Early Heater Fix HO9PGf
    Early Heater Fix TCV1O1
    Early Heater Fix 3ckpWm

vanny likes this post

Otto
    Otto

Number of posts : 125
    Registration date : 2020-09-02

Early Heater Fix Empty Re: Early Heater Fix

Post by Otto Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:12 pm

Nice hack fixing your heater. I had mine re-cored and lucked out with the valve still functioning; we'll see how long that lasts.
    Seth G
    Seth G

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:54 pm

Thanks. Good luck with the valve. The stem seal leaks but the real problem is that they're all made of tinned steel. The Fomoco valves come up for $2-300 and the seals are circa 1975 at best. There's a lot of ways to fix this I went this way b/c I had a good re-core. If I didn't I'd just retro fit something that fit's like 92 taurus or ranger or whatever fits. I found they're all much smaller, not copper and need somekind of mod to fit. The stock core is like 2 1/2" thick brass/copper as is the re-core. Good luck finding something from the store in bfe or around town like that. Closest store bought core I found was a late seventies Datsun 240 or 80 or something like that. Good thick copper/brass core in a similar configuration but not quite right for the box as is. The stock core is the same as so many old vehicles that any good old radiator guy knows it when he see's it and can stick your old copper ends on a new one. Luckily we have such a place at Ken's Radiator in Burlington.

edit: cleaned, fluxed and soldered
    chrlsful
    chrlsful

Number of posts : 184
    Registration date : 2014-04-22

Post by chrlsful Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:09 pm

the "edit" above is just the best!:
    boil, rod, core, paint !
    Cheepest, fastest, quality...
    I don;t see Y the folks don't do it more often. Keeps the oem.
    aint alu, fits, no throw aways (there is NO 'away') & so on.
    They ask me "where can I get a hc or radiator that fits my ol app?" I tell 'em
    "Right in ur neighborhood!" R&R useta mean remove/repair, now it means remove'n replace.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 12:26 am