VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
donivan65
Twinpilot001
chainsaw
7 posters

no hot air from heater

chainsaw
    chainsaw

Number of posts : 226
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

no hot air from heater Empty no hot air from heater

Post by chainsaw Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:09 pm

Ok, I have another dumb question about my 62 . I cant get hot air from the heater ,just feels like the fan blowing but not hot. All hoses hooked up, looks like a small leak in the core, so water must be flowing. I figured out the lever on the bottom opened the door in front of the core but what position should the top lever be in to get air out the defroster and or the vents on the heater box ? Also ,why would you want the door in front of the core open? Thanks.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

no hot air from heater Empty Re: no hot air from heater

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:32 pm

Very likely core is stopped up!!!!!!!!!! should u elect to back flush it -hehe = look for water on the floor after - best to replace it soon!! Shocked 
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:35 pm

,,,You can start to see if you have a heater control valve stuck in one of the heater hoses,,,,,when you pull the knob OUT,,,,,it should open the valve and let the hot water flow through the heater core,,,,,

no hot air from heater Surfer18
    chainsaw
    chainsaw

Post by chainsaw Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:38 pm

Not sure what the po did but I have a toggle switch to turn on the blower and the hoses run straight from the engine to the core ,no valve. Guess I'll have to pull the cover off to see if the top lever is hooked to anything. Looks like when they had it apart they put it all back to work, maybe it is stopped up.
    no hot air from heater Heater002_zpscbd1c7bc
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:45 pm

If it's weeping now and no heat, expect to have to repair/replace the core.
    BTDT.
    chainsaw
    chainsaw

Post by chainsaw Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:40 pm

Well damn, I guess I know what I have to do now. Thanks for the replies.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:32 am

There should be a tempeture control valve mounted it the lid of the heater box. It should be in the lower right corner. It will be a knob just like the dash knobs that controls a valve mounted in the box below the knob. Turning it all the way clockwise will open it. If it's missing or broken then it's going to be an expensive fix. They are hard to find and costly when you do. They are special to that style heater. It's hard to tell from your picture but I think your valve has been removed. I don't know what the two toggle switches control. They are not original.

Duane in Tennessee
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:42 am

The picture of a heater valve runnning in the heater hose under the passengers side of the truck is for the 65 to 67 "under dash" heater only. However as the control valve for the floor mounted heater is quite often trashed and not available, you can by pass using it, by using the inline type. The early in line ones were all metal, also used on the Bronco's and still available in plastic which is much better.
     The control valve may be simply PLUGGED and not allowing hot water to circulate through your hearter core,, and as simple as that. After all , that is what controls the water and lets it go through there......  OR your core could also be plugged.
      That heater valve IF YOU CAN FIND IT,, is well known to be rare and impossible to locate. SO, IF YOU FIND ONE??????????           it WILL BE expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!
     Quite often people elect to simply put in a late under dash heater. If you want to do that, then you need to also install the late wiper motor in order for it to also clear the new later under dash heater. Also you will need the "OPTIONAL" HEATER DELETE PLATE in order to close up the hole in the floor.
    vic

no hot air from heater 000_0510
    no hot air from heater 000_0511
    chainsaw
    chainsaw

Post by chainsaw Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:57 am

The toggle switches turn on the heater motor and the electric engine fan. I'm sure the valve has been removed. I'm taking the truck to a big cruise night Sat. ,I guess Sun. I'll start taking it apart to see what I really have in there.
    gotdurt
    gotdurt

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2013-12-31

Post by gotdurt Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:51 pm

Old Skool wrote:The picture of a heater valve runnning in the heater hose under the passengers side of the truck is for the 65 to 67 "under dash" heater only. However as the control valve for the floor mounted heater is quite often trashed and not available, you can by pass using it, by using the inline type. The early in line ones were all metal, also used on the Bronco's and still available in plastic which is much better.
     The control valve may be simply PLUGGED and not allowing hot water to circulate through your hearter core,, and as simple as that. After all , that is what controls the water and lets it go through there......  OR your core could also be plugged.
      That heater valve IF YOU CAN FIND IT,, is well known to be rare and impossible to locate. SO, IF YOU FIND ONE??????????           it WILL BE expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!
     Quite often people elect to simply put in a late under dash heater. If you want to do that, then you need to also install the late wiper motor in order for it to also clear the new later under dash heater. Also you will need the "OPTIONAL" HEATER DELETE PLATE in order to close up the hole in the floor.
    vic

no hot air from heater 000_0510
    no hot air from heater 000_0511
    Old School, I'm assuming that's yours, is it for sale? I'm about to remove my box and was going to bolt-in some 16g sheetmetal, but I'd prefer that panel... not sure where to find them or what term to search for.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:31 pm

I may have one left,, will have to dig in the parts trailer and take a look. They are not common.
    vic
    gotdurt
    gotdurt

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2013-12-31

Post by gotdurt Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:57 pm

Thanks. It'll be under carpet so not a huge deal if I use sheetmetal, but it would be good to keep things OEM when I can.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:12 am