VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Older heater or Newer Heater?

FIZGIG
    FIZGIG

Number of posts : 334
    Registration date : 2014-01-23

Older heater or Newer Heater? Empty Older heater or Newer Heater?

Post by FIZGIG Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:32 am

I have a 1961 Ford Econoline Truck and it doesn't have a heater unit in it , I was wondering what heater assembly I should go with the one my truck originally came with or a later model unit that fit under the dash? Thanks for your help guys.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Older heater or Newer Heater? Empty Re: Older heater or Newer Heater?

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:08 am

vintage air - a/c & heat!! cheers 
    Vanner63
    Vanner63

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2010-11-11

Post by Vanner63 Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:32 am

It depends on how original you want to keep it. Both systems worked well. Ford changed the system in mid 1964 to be able to use off the shelf parts that the F series pickups and Falcons were using. If you aren't trying to keep it original, do as Twinpilot says and put in an aftermarket heat and ac system.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:19 am

Being a 61, it already has the hole in the floor. That makes installing the early heater easy. It's a pretty much self contained unit. Bad thing is the temp control valve is a hard to find and expensive item. The later unit is nice as it frees up the floor. But, you'll have to cut holes in the dash for the control knobs. Not a biggie. Either is fine. It's all about what you can find. The aftermarket AC units are nice but open up a whole new can of worms. Adding the compressor and evaporator can be a challenge. The compressor mount with have to be custom to tuck it into the doghouse. Mounting the unit is also a challenge. Not a lot of stuff you can drill into under the stock dash.

Duane in Tennessee
    Vanner63
    Vanner63

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2010-11-11

Post by Vanner63 Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:26 am

I should add that if you do put in the aftermarket system, be prepared to deal with how you are going to dissipate the extra heat contributed to the engine box. The process of air conditioning is removing heat from the air. And that heat has to go somewhere. And you will probably want to go to a 70 amp alternator vs the original generator. Duane is right. Its a whole new can of worms. I would deal with the coolness of originality.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:36 am

Im a proponent of new types= complete systems- yet after all = all must be upgraded sometime - NOS is way too expensive & even if you did find a used heater -likely will need to be re-cored too! all seals replaced & remember -same old flow of air rates? If you like purists on the auto stuff?? which is fine - doing what they wany!!= why do so many even run electric wipers over vacumn OEM wipers?? remember those?? Evil or Very Mad  My 56 chev truck- even though all new -still has the origional heater - defroster in it with 6 volt motor- still works & yet isnt the best when i need defrost & high heat - high blower fan speeds?? has only 1 speed!! affraid  Not the best yet works good for when i do use it
    FIZGIG
    FIZGIG

Number of posts : 334
    Registration date : 2014-01-23

Post by FIZGIG Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:45 pm

I dont care about keeping my truck oem or stock i just want it to be functional
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:34 pm

Im no expert but I believe that the windshield wiper motor or bracket has to be changed to clear  the later model style heater, right?

And I did see a lot of parts on ebay that included that old style heater valve. Wether or not its any good is another story..  A close look it looks rusty and I believe that has to be attatched/brazed/welded or something to the heater core?

My vote would be the later style, they do show up now and then.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261444619175&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:35 am

Thanks Terry, I keep forgetting about that wiper motor. There are a bunch of different versions of the wiper motors. Some will clear the later style heater and some will not.

Duane in Tennessee

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 5:09 pm