VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
Barnabas
Old Skool
jrdunn96
jrinaman
donivan65
EconoRedman
10 posters

steering stabalizer bar and link ends

EconoRedman
    EconoRedman

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2017-02-25

steering stabalizer bar and link ends - Page 2 Empty Re: steering stabalizer bar and link ends

Post by EconoRedman Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:54 am

Old Skool wrote:Trying to understand of why a person would not just bolt in a stock one?  Why re invent the wheel? Its a bolt in no brainer??
    vic

Hi Vic, I would love to. I have yet to find anyone who says they have one on their vehicle. I have spend 40 hours in the last 3 days searching the internet and no one has them after market or OEM. Not new, not used........ Nothing........crickets..........

Do you have one ?? I just spent $160 on a rear Ram 1500 one to modify and put in, but I would LOVE to have an original Smile Exclamation
    EconoRedman
    EconoRedman

steering stabalizer bar and link ends - Page 2 Empty Re: steering stabalizer bar and link ends

Post by EconoRedman Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:23 am

I appreciate every ones posts in any case. I have spent at least 40 hours in the last 3 days scouring the internet. No new ones, no used ones, no after-market ones, no OEM ones........ Absolutely nothing.....crickets........
     I honestly started thinking that Ford anticipated putting them on and then changed their minds and never implemented the bar. At this point in time these things are like unicorns.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:55 am

You got his email address on the front spindle wanted post, send him an email,,,,,,,but that Jaguar post is the best answer so far, its something that you might be able to find by you, probably the fancy cars, mini vans and pick ups will have one,,,IF,,,,,, you get the dimensions of a REAL FORD SWAY BAR,,,,,,,to compare it to,,,,,,,,thats the next step,,,,,
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:37 am

Old Skool wrote:WOW,,,  NO issues with a Chevy or trying to help,,, and certainly not interested in another one with hurt feelings, so on, so on ,,,one more time,, lol,,,,, Just saying he could simply bolt one in and not have to figure anything out at all,,, The bushings are all of about $25 total from Sumit or Jeggs,,,, and its not the 1st time someone has shipped one ?  Off to the wood shed,,,lol
    I knew there was a reason I hadnt posted in so long,,,, dratzzzzz
    vic
    seriously? I ignored the condensending post as to why and explained why, only to be told this was an econoline thread! you dont think the above quote is maybe a little insulting? no, i am not that thin skinned that i have hurt feelings but sure makes me hesitant to offer up any advice on here! not interested in an online battle, sent the requested pics in a p.m. to those that asked.

jrdunn96 likes this post

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:15 am

Hey Vic is the Ford guy,,,,,,,I know him,,,,,,he should of took over at the very beginning,,,,,,you got the most promising answer so far,,,,,,,,,unless someone wants to sell a REAL Ford sway bar that costs more than the van is worth,,,,,,,as for REINVENTING,,,,,,thats all I do when I cant find parts for or want to make peoples vans safer, more comfortable and more reliable,,,,,,Vic is just being Vic,,,,,,everything just seems to feel more irritable with whats going on in our lives,,,,,,,I wouldnt give up on trying to help people,,,,,,,,,

Old Skool likes this post

Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:57 am

Had no idea of anyone looking for one and so I wondered of why someone would work so hard at using something else?  My question having NOTHING TO DO WITH of what type vehicle it is,,,,,,,,, I could care less and so more power to anyone who comes up with an idea. NO OFFENSE intended to anyone or any kind of car that they drive,,,, I COULD CAR LESS,,, each to what they like. If people are so short fused as to get their feelings hurt over ABSOLUTELY NOTHING,,,,,,,so be it.  In regards to Chevy versus Ford,,, that is someone elses petty issue and not mine.  I call a spade a spade and am straight up and no bullshit.....In regards to sharing my knowledge that has now gone over an easy 15>20 years at the expense of THOUSANDS OF HOURS AND PICTURES IN DETAIL and instead of explaining an Econoline issue and why it happened and what CAN BE DONE about it,,, I suddenly become their FREE MECHANIC instead of them simply googling how to put in a thermostat. Thousands of questions over the years for something that IS NOT ECONOLINE SPECIFIC related??????? I am SO TIRED of people thinking that because I sold them something that NOW I am their personnel car builder for free. ASK ME for help about an Econoline. When I hear that shipping is slow NO ONE UNDERSTANDS that I ONLY HAVE TWO HANDS and if I am telling someone how to install a wheel onto a car that I AM NOT WORKING ON SOMEONES ORDER.. FOOD FOR THOUGHT,, how many calls and surprise people  will your boss let you take the time off of work for,,, You think he might get upset if your not working on his order and still getting paid for it????
      HOW ABOUT SHIPPING,,,,,,,,, got a request for 67 MC gasket,,,,,,, so,, how much would your boss pay you to get one, pack it up, drive to the Post Office, stand in line for a half hour and then ship it??
      If I charged $2 dollars an hour for my time (away from working on an order or answering questions on emails)I would not be able to pay my rent,,,,,,
    Apparently he didn't like the price for the part???????????   WHY DOES EVERYBODY WANT TO TAKE CUTS IN LINE???  SO TIRED of I am here, no appointment and everybody else should wait.. 
      In respect to asking for a sway bar twice,,,,,,,,,, I HAVE NOT HAD ANY,,,,,,,,,,  
    SO you say share your knowledge,,,,, WELL I DO AND HAVE FOR OVER TWENTY YEARS,   so put that in your book,,,,,,,,,YES, I would ship to France or Oklahoma but NOT FOR FREE anymore! I had to use a parts shed for shipping materials now,,, I cannot pack things instead of going to work, and so,, I dont advertise parts anymore,,, IT COSTS ME MONEY to stop and pack something up, not including the time to go and get the correct sized box in order to save the person money!!! MOST OFTEN I dont even charge for the box and NEVER FOR THE TIME involved.  I FINALLY GAVE UP ON MY OWN TRUCK I took apart 15 years ago to put the assembled 302 engine and trans in,,, AND sold the panel van also,,,,,,,,,I GIVE UP,,, no time for my own stuff and a  joke anymore to me,,, I have two containers of parts to include NOS stuff,,  not interested in shipping or the advertising time to do it,,,,Would like have a huge garage sale,,, as peoples baloney as ruined if for me,,,, I have met a lot of GOOD PEOPLE through all of the Econoline forums and they remain good friends, for all the newbies who want it before others, expect free advice on how to install a wheel on a car,,, call someone else,,,20 years of inconsiderate people have left weeds growing in my head,,,  SO MUCH for looking in the E section for people needing help with Econoline issues,,,,,,,,,lol
    Vic

What happened to all the hoop a lah regarding the repro HD 1" Econoline sway bars??
      Did that end up ANOTHER ,,,, "WHY DOESN'T SOMEONE MAKE THOSE" ,,, IE:  I made them and then people on the forums copied it instead of buying one,, WHAT HAPPENED to Carpenters?  WHY did they loose interest in Econoline parts,, lol,,,,, HOW ABOUT all of MY detailed pictures over the years explaining things??  How much did you pay to look at them??? I bet NOTHING,,, and, HOW ABOUT PEOPLE POSTING MY PICTURES WITH NO CREDIT,,,  how would that sit with you?? ON and on,, I am out of here,,,

vic
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:05 am

If its about type of vehicle, would this be the correct place to say that I have a Dodge A-100 sway bar also???  
    vic
    EconoRedman
    EconoRedman

Post by EconoRedman Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:18 am

steering stabalizer bar and link ends - Page 2 Latest12

The measurements are pretty accurate. Measurements that are not in the drawing that you might need are the distance from the center of the lower shock bolt to the sway bar while it is in a perfectly straight horizontal position, Because of possible variables such as spring wear, removed leaves for lowering, aftermarket springs, etc. I would use a 2 inch adjustable end link as shown in the link below, which would adjust between 4 and 6 inches (13.5 to 16 cm) total heights. the sway bar mounting holes would need to be in a vertical position for this type of end link.
    steering stabalizer bar and link ends - Page 2 End_li10

If using the traditional end link shown below, you would need horizontal mount holes.
    steering stabalizer bar and link ends - Page 2 Origin10

Sorry that the measurements are in metric, but I am in France and can't get a hold of a normal measuring tape. The outward angle on the arms in reference to the straight bar is 22.3 degrees. If anyone needs help I will try to help.

The closest cheap solution that I have found if the 2009 - 2011 rear sway bar for a Dodge Ram 1500. It measures 47.6 eyelet to eyelet instead of 49". The arms 1re 12.75" instead of 12" Be prepared for shock interference and relocating the bushing pillow holes on the frame if there is interference. The Dodge sway bar is the the one below.

steering stabalizer bar and link ends - Page 2 S-l22511

If anyone has questions I will try to help. PM me.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:52 am

These 2 guys are looking for a Ford sway bar,,,,,,they got 3 choices,,,,find someplace to buy one from, have one custom made, or make something else work,,,,,,so Vic, are you willing to sell them a sway bar,,,,then they can  contact you about price and shipping,,,,,can you, or ANYONE, put down the A B C measurements of a REAL Ford sway bar so they can crawl under the vehicles in the junkyard and find something close that they can make or get someone to make fit,,,,,,,

steering stabalizer bar and link ends - Page 2 Dscn0038
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:23 pm

So if you are searching the whole world for parts,,,,,this what a rear 80 Pontiac Firebird looks like on my van,,,,,,,A=38 1/2    B=9 1/2  C= 33     since my van is jacked up, I had to make a bracket so the link connector could reach my frame,,,,the frame on a 64-66 Chevy is  38" outside to outside,,,,

steering stabalizer bar and link ends - Page 2 Dscn0039

steering stabalizer bar and link ends - Page 2 Dscn0040

savage and jrdunn96 like this post

jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:05 pm

donivan65 wrote:
    steering stabalizer bar and link ends - Page 2 Dscn0040
                      why the air bags? added height, more weight or simply to stiffen the rear suspension? i just finished installing stiffer springs in all 4 corners and it helped way more than the sway bars ever did. never thought about air bags.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:12 pm

I like to carry a ton of stuff,,,,,I like to jack the back end up real high to show the people what a rake meant  in the old days and to keep the spare tire from rubbing on the driveshaft if I got too heavy of a load in back, but mostly,,,,,,,,,because I could,,,,,,,,,
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:54 pm

You want a anti-sway bar for a 1965-1967 Econoline (referred to as the "crooked-arm sway bar").  The 1961-1964 Econoline anti-sway bars ("straight-arm") are shaped differently and will interfere with your 1967 brake lines. The 1965-1967 bar can be used on all 1961-1967 Econolines.

Don't know if they still make them, but ADDCO makes anti-sway bars for our Econolines.
    ADDCO 5606 front anti-sway bar for 1961-1967
    ADDCO 393 rear anti-sway bar for 1961-1967
    Those ADDCO bars come with the end links and mounting parts.
    I don't think they ever listed them on their website, you have to call them.

Folks have had success using the third-generation (1975-1991) Econoline anti-sway bars. You have to straighten out a bend in the bar, but they do work.  The end-links are beefier than the 1961-1967 ones.

If you get a used Econoline anti-sway bar, you can get all the rubber parts from McVeigh's Truck Springs. They have all the rubber parts for our Econolines.  I think they have just an eBay store.

jrdunn96 likes this post

EconoRedman
    EconoRedman

Post by EconoRedman Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:11 am

Thank you Barnabas !! That is some very good information !!! I am glad that you stumbled onto the thread Smile I have already received the 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 rear sway bar, and I slid it into place. I has zero clearance on either side in a full turn, but it doesn't rub. Really really close though. The other issue is the brake lines. They would need to be relocated. Apart from that it will work, but I have not received my end links from Steinjäger yet.

I will definitely call ADDCO for the rear sway bar as soon as they open. Thanks again man !!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
    dogcollarlabor
    dogcollarlabor

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2021-09-17

Post by dogcollarlabor Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:32 am

A little late to the game but the measurements for an original bent-end Econoline front sway bar...
    A = 47.50"
    B = 11.25"
    C = 39.50"
    Diameter = 0.75"
    SuperJason
    SuperJason

Number of posts : 95
    Registration date : 2011-10-03

Post by SuperJason Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:06 pm

I got a front and a rear sway bar for my 1966 Econoline from Addco Sway Bars.  They aren't listed in their catalog, but I called and talked to Ernie and he was able to help.  The front bar fit well with minimal issues.  Initially the rear was too wide (39" eye-to-eye) and I got one remade at 36" and it fit way better.  But I saw another vanner that used the 39" bar and made some simple brackets to accommodate it.  

https://www.addco.net/

edit: I just noticed the thread was 2 years old, but maybe it's still helpful information.
    chrlsful
    chrlsful

Number of posts : 184
    Registration date : 2014-04-22

Post by chrlsful Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:05 am

same here:
    "...a person... bolt in a stock one..."
    Nice to have a ford van as alota '60s '70s (?) ford prts fit
    /OR/
    can B used as hybred w/mig (we got scrap metal to adapt). So...
    falcon, comet, (espicially) mustang/other fox; mid sz too?

Got any ford manuals for the other vehicles, exploded views, compare (to adapt)?
    I'd think mustang ideal as it hasa huge aftr mrkt (world-wide) supply chain. Also
    more hop up oriented.
    But...
    of course FIRST do a suspension'n frnt end 'tune up' to see if ur even on the right track.
    Then lower body/suspension, stiffer leafs/coils; larger tire/wheel?

Last, how performance oriented can U get a "truck". After all it is NOT a sports mo`cheen !
    Good Luck, HTH rather than just repeats ur own thoughts (I'm a lill late to this party...
    EricJ
    EricJ

Number of posts : 13
    Registration date : 2022-11-24

Post by EricJ Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:27 pm

EconoRedman wrote:Hi all, I recently went on vacation and drove my 67 econoline from Paris France to Avene France. About 450 miles one way. Despite having had a fuel pump, and a carb float fail, it went pretty well. I was happy with the speeds achieved on the way down, except for in the turns. I went onto a lot of long clover leaf entry ramps and I needed to slow way down because I have a ton of body roll. It feels like the van will either roll over or slide sideways.
    Thus I thought that I would outsmart the Ford engineers and install a anti-sway bar. Come to find out, that econolines had them originally !!! Mine does not, and I can't find one anywhere online. The econolines' front axles are 52" kingpin to kingpin, and that is larger than almost anything else. If I use the original bolt holes (the ones for the shocks) to hook up the links, then I will need to use an original bar to have it line up right. Does anybody have one for sale, or know of an aftermarket one that has the same dimensions please ? If not for the front, I will settle for a stabilizer bar kit that fits the rear as well.

when I was designing my '66 F250 I found most of the hot rod and speed shop sites had adjustable bars. Look at places like Speedway motors, or Summit I think

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 6:35 am