VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
Barnabas
Old Skool
jrdunn96
jrinaman
donivan65
EconoRedman
10 posters

steering stabalizer bar and link ends

EconoRedman
    EconoRedman

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2017-02-25

steering stabalizer bar and link ends Empty steering stabalizer bar and link ends

Post by EconoRedman Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:39 pm

Hi all, I recently went on vacation and drove my 67 econoline from Paris France to Avene France. About 450 miles one way. Despite having had a fuel pump, and a carb float fail, it went pretty well. I was happy with the speeds achieved on the way down, except for in the turns. I went onto a lot of long clover leaf entry ramps and I needed to slow way down because I have a ton of body roll. It feels like the van will either roll over or slide sideways.
    Thus I thought that I would outsmart the Ford engineers and install a anti-sway bar. Come to find out, that econolines had them originally !!! Mine does not, and I can't find one anywhere online. The econolines' front axles are 52" kingpin to kingpin, and that is larger than almost anything else. If I use the original bolt holes (the ones for the shocks) to hook up the links, then I will need to use an original bar to have it line up right. Does anybody have one for sale, or know of an aftermarket one that has the same dimensions please ? If not for the front, I will settle for a stabilizer bar kit that fits the rear as well.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

steering stabalizer bar and link ends Empty Re: steering stabalizer bar and link ends

Post by donivan65 Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:15 pm

So first of all, how are your shocks,,,,,,do you have gas charged, coil  overs or air types,,,,those would surely help.......do you have wrecking yards out there,,,,,,I added front and rear sway bars to my Chevy,,,,,,,you could bolt a plate or angle iron to the front U bolt for the link and add some tubing if necessary for the frame bracket,,,,,the rear sway bar bolts to the differential and you make a bracket for the link to connect to the frame,,,,,,links come in all different sizes,,,,,,  

steering stabalizer bar and link ends Dscn0024

steering stabalizer bar and link ends Dscn0025

steering stabalizer bar and link ends Dscn0026

steering stabalizer bar and link ends Dscn0027

steering stabalizer bar and link ends Dscn0028

steering stabalizer bar and link ends Dscn0029
    EconoRedman
    EconoRedman

steering stabalizer bar and link ends Empty Re: steering stabalizer bar and link ends

Post by EconoRedman Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:32 am

Man Donivan, that looks super. Everything looks like new too. I wish that I had some junk yards that I could get some decent stuff out of. It might be possible to find something but everything's European over here. I will give it a shot though. I have the original Ford front-end set-up. With leaf springs and a drop axle. I just went to change my wheel bearings on the passenger side and the inner bearing was wasted and ate into my spindle. I can't find anything on the internet as far as a spindle is concerned either. I'm getting disgusted. Everything is so much easier in the US. I WANNA COME BACK !!!!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:47 pm

,,,,,,,,you are gonna find more problems in America than that spindle right now,,,,,,,,,,,,
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:33 pm

EconoRedman wrote: I wish that I had some junk yards that I could get some decent stuff out of. It might be possible to find something but everything's European over here.
     i used a swaybar from a mid '70's jaguar xj6. had to fab brackets but was about the right size. steering stabalizer bar and link ends Img_4012

jrdunn96 likes this post

EconoRedman
    EconoRedman

Post by EconoRedman Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:36 pm

donivan65 wrote:,,,,,,,,you are gonna find more problems in America than that spindle right now,,,,,,,,,,,,

That's for sure, but I love my country and always have. I have missed her and my family since day 1 in France, and am not afraid to face all that crap when I come back. I have a super firearms collection now Smile I'll build my bunker when I get there Smile
    EconoRedman
    EconoRedman

Post by EconoRedman Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:41 pm

That good to know Jrinaman !!! I can find on of those for sure !! I wonder if it will fit an Ford van as well as a Chevy ?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:46 pm

Lets see how that Jag sway bar is mounted on a Chevy,,,,,,you probably need the links to hang down at least 1 inch wider than your springs,,,,,so how far apart are your springs?
    EconoRedman
    EconoRedman

Post by EconoRedman Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:24 am

donivan65 wrote:Lets see how that Jag sway bar is mounted on a Chevy,,,,,,you probably need the links to hang down at least 1 inch wider than your springs,,,,,so how far apart are your springs?

I measured it all out. I would need something similar to this if using the original Ford end links. If you can't see the whole image, click right and then left click on "view image"

steering stabalizer bar and link ends Swayba10

EconoRedman
    EconoRedman

Post by EconoRedman Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:24 am

I did some more measuring. From center to center on the lower shock bolt holes (where the end links would go) is 49". However, there is tire turn radius interference at anything over 43"max. So the maximum length of the bar from the outside of the bend to the outside of the bend cannot pass 43" If we subtract the 43" distance from center to center of the lower shock bolts distance, (which is 49") we get 6". Divide that by 2 for each side of the vehicle, and we have a deflection on both sides of 3, and not the 6" to 8" that is on my drawing.
     It's really hard to get an accurate arm length because the measurement is diagonal, and I do not have an end-link to measure to. Depending on the length of the end link, I would say 9" to 11" .

steering stabalizer bar and link ends Final_11

Reimported for better viewing...Vanny

Last edited by EconoRedman on Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:55 am; edited 4 times in total
    jrdunn96
    jrdunn96

Number of posts : 690
    Registration date : 2016-01-01

Post by jrdunn96 Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:24 am

I hope you get this ironed out. I think I'd like one on my Epup.
    EconoRedman
    EconoRedman

Post by EconoRedman Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:51 am

Well, finally the max and min options are as below, and anything in-between. Remember that the distance between the outside to outside frame rails is 38.5". The first sway bar has a length of 39", and the second a length of 44.5". I hope it is understandable. This is on a 1967 Econoline with a 240.

steering stabalizer bar and link ends Sway_b10

steering stabalizer bar and link ends Sway_b10

Resized...Vanny
    EconoRedman
    EconoRedman

Post by EconoRedman Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:12 am

The question now is;

1.) Who sells sway-bars by their dimensions ?
    2.) Does anyone know of a sway-bar that meets these dimensions?
    3.) Who fabricates sway-bars to specific dimensions for a reasonable price ?

or if your feeling spunky, I found this article on how to make one yourself. ;

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/how-to-make-a-custom-sway-bar/

I hope someone can help out here. Jrinaman, do you Donivan have any ideas ? If you measured that Jag sway-bar, there may be a possibility to finagle it into working fabricating brackets or extensions or the like.  Do you think that you could get the measurements ?
    EconoRedman
    EconoRedman

Post by EconoRedman Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:23 am

BTW, Thank you Vanny for the sizing help on the images Very Happy

Not a problem, just set the pixels at 640.

steering stabalizer bar and link ends 640pix11
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Post by jrinaman Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:27 pm

deleted

Last edited by jrinaman on Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : vic dont like it!!!)
    EconoRedman
    EconoRedman

Post by EconoRedman Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:16 am

EconoRedman wrote:BTW, Thank you Vanny for the sizing help on the images Very Happy

Not a problem, just set the pixels at 640.

steering stabalizer bar and link ends 640pix11
    Trying to figure it all out Smile
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:48 pm

Trying to understand of why a person would not just bolt in a stock one? Why re invent the wheel? Its a bolt in no brainer??
    vic
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:49 pm

steering stabalizer bar and link ends 000_0612
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:55 pm

steering stabalizer bar and link ends Moog_s10

Shows OEM Ford Econoline late sway bar. (64>67),,  grease able mounts from Summit,,,, my AMC disc conversion,, lol
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:58 pm

steering stabalizer bar and link ends 100_0918
    steering stabalizer bar and link ends 100_0810
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Post by jrinaman Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:15 pm

Old Skool wrote:Trying to understand of why a person would not just bolt in a stock one?  Why re invent the wheel? Its a bolt in no brainer??
    vic
    not sure if they are readily available for the fords, o.p. is in france. as far as my jag swaybar on the chevy, several reasons. mainly because i had the swaybar already and it fit. while i did have a second gen chevy swaybar, i did not have the brackets to mount them, my dual master cylinder/disc brakes required additional fab work to clear and my rad would need moved back to stock location along with a few other modifications a made. it was easier to 'reinvent the wheel' than to change everything else.

Old Skool likes this post

Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:18 pm

Perhaps my mistake, but I thought this was a Ford Econoline thread and if so ??,, all the rubber parts are easy to get, I dont know much about the Chevy vans,,,,,other than I have a doghouse and radiator complete setup for sale,,, lol
    Vic
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Post by jrinaman Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:42 pm

Old Skool wrote:Perhaps my mistake, but I thought this was a Ford Econoline thread and if so ??,,
    Vic
    o.p. stated he was in france and had nothing available. local yards only had small foreign cars so couldnt find anything he could adapt. the jag swaybar 'could' be adapted and should be easily sourced in france. i thought i was being helpful! i didnt realize there was an issue with chevy guys posting on a ford thread. i am out!
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:54 pm

WOW,,,  NO issues with a Chevy or trying to help,,, and certainly not interested in another one with hurt feelings, so on, so on ,,,one more time,, lol,,,,, Just saying he could simply bolt one in and not have to figure anything out at all,,, The bushings are all of about $25 total from Sumit or Jeggs,,,, and its not the 1st time someone has shipped one ?  Off to the wood shed,,,lol
    I knew there was a reason I hadnt posted in so long,,,, dratzzzzz
    vic
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:01 pm

2 guys are looking for a Ford sway bar,,,,,and get no replys,,,,,,,so the Chevy guys try and help showing how they made sway bars fit,,,,,thats trying to HELP,,,,,,and thats the way we do it here,,,,,,,if you got a better answer,,,,,,,POST IT,,,,,,,share your knowledge,,,,,,

,,,so where do these guys get sway bars,,,,,whats the part number,,,,you can get the links,,,,,,but what about the actual sway bar,,,,,,you got some to sell Vic? you gonna ship them to France and Oklahoma?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:46 am