VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Center link (adjusting sleeve) between tie rod ends

rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Number of posts : 624
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

Center link (adjusting sleeve) between tie rod ends Empty Center link (adjusting sleeve) between tie rod ends

Post by rustytoolss Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:45 pm

My center link (adjustment sleeve between tie rod ends)is bent (that way when I bought the pickup). Is it possible to straighten it ? I've been told ,that being bent does not effect it's function  ? I can't seem to find a part number for one.  Anyone know the length of it ? or a replacement part that will fit and work correctly ? I know that the thread size is 11/16-18 on each end. And one side is right hand thread/ other side id left hand thread.
    busman78
    busman78

Number of posts : 483
    Registration date : 2012-07-11

Center link (adjusting sleeve) between tie rod ends Empty Re: Center link (adjusting sleeve) between tie rod ends

Post by busman78 Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:24 pm

I just ordered a new rod from Ron Pope Motorsports, it was about 46", drilled and tapped for 11/16 R&L threads, uses jam nuts, cost $63 shipped, it is more stout than the original plus it is straight.
    Center link (adjusting sleeve) between tie rod ends Drag__10

To answer your question you can hammer the old rod straight, mine was hammered straight with a piece of 1" angle iron welded on to add strength. Can you say ugly.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Center link (adjusting sleeve) between tie rod ends Empty Re: Center link (adjusting sleeve) between tie rod ends

Post by rustytoolss Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:04 pm

thanks Very Happy I asked about the length of the tube/rod because of mine being bent, unsure of actual length.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:42 pm

busman78 wrote:I just ordered a new rod from Ron Pope Motorsports, it was about 46", drilled and tapped for 11/16 R&L threads, uses jam nuts, cost $63 shipped, it is more stout than the original plus it is straight.
    Center link (adjusting sleeve) between tie rod ends Drag__10

To answer your question you can hammer the old rod straight, mine was hammered straight with a piece of 1" angle iron welded on to add strength. Can you say ugly.
    By the way, ..what were the part numbers of the tie rod ends that you used ?
    busman78
    busman78

Post by busman78 Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:19 pm

I used Moog ES288R and ES342L

Pop over to Between the Seats "A", Suspension Parts Source post at the top, good reading, even better suggestions from Crown parts for tie rods

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t54252-suspension-parts-sources
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:53 pm

One more question...that 46" measurement, was that the length of the sleeve, or center to center length including tie rod ends ?
    Thanks for the link for tie rod ends Smile
    busman78
    busman78

Post by busman78 Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:01 pm

Well sort of, bought a 47" length but needed to shorten it, forgot about the jam nuts, I will slip under the van tomorrow and post an exact measurement.
    busman78
    busman78

Post by busman78 Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:47 am

Dug up the old record, ordered a 47-1/2" rod, felt it offered less than ideal adjustment, shortened it to 46-1/2", just measured it, once installed and the toe set could of left it at 47-1/2, 47" would be a safe length.

Pictures of rod ends installed on new center link. Paint did not last long during the brake line building, fluid leaked all over the rod.
    Center link (adjusting sleeve) between tie rod ends Img_1712
    Center link (adjusting sleeve) between tie rod ends Img_1713

Super accurate toe tool
    Center link (adjusting sleeve) between tie rod ends Toe_in10
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:18 pm

Thank you Soooo Muccch for the pictures and taking the time for the information. !!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 am