VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Rear end noise

Rear end noise Empty Rear end noise

Post by Guest Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:03 pm

So the rear end on my 68 Dodge A108 is a little noisy <insert joke here>. I've checked the gear oil and its fine, even added a little until it spilled out the fill hole (didnt have to add much). But going down the road there is a noticable noise from the rear end. Not a grind, not a clunk, its not the u-joint... its just a whooooosh sound that follows the wheel speed (faster = louder, slower quieter).

someone said they thought Dodges just had a kinda loud rear end, but this seems excessive.

Any thoughts? are they just loud? Is it just the van configuration thats giving me a good harmonic back there?

I just dont want to spend a ton getting a new pumpkin put in just to find out its just as loud as before... although Posi-Traction would be nice.... but I wouldnt go to all the expense JUST for that. If it wipes out the noise AND give me posi... ok....

but I thought I'd check here first to see if this is a common problem with the Dodge rear ends.

Rear end noise Empty Re: Rear end noise

Post by Guest Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:05 pm

also... which rear end did the A108's come with?
    7 1/4?
    8 3/4?

sorry for the questions.. just new to Mopars.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:38 pm

Have you checked your Wheel bearings? and check your trans output and pinion excessive play, if it's worn it will cause that sound....

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Rear end noise Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Post by Guest Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:48 pm

DanTheVanMan wrote:Have you checked your Wheel bearings? and check your trans output and pinion excessive play, if it's worn it will cause that sound....

I have not done either, but not a bad idea. I was thinking of taking it in to a trans place for a full flush and filter replacement. Will have them check that out while they are at it.

Post by Guest Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:49 pm

not needed... (free post) sunny
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:59 pm

Mine was real noisey to and with some good advice from Donivan I pulled my rear axle all apart, replaced the bearing and it has been smooth sailing ever since.

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Rear end noise Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Post by Guest Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:04 pm

DanTheVanMan wrote:Mine was real noisey to and with some good advice from Donivan I pulled my rear axle all apart, replaced the bearing and it has been smooth sailing ever since.

which bearing? Wheels? axle? pumpkin?
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:29 pm

Wheel bearings were my issue. Even when I pulled them they seems ok to me and cleaned everything up, put it all back together thinking I had really fixed nothing. But WOW, what a difference.. I can hear my radio now!

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Rear end noise Qr_cod10

jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:51 pm

original piece would have been 8 3/4. there will be movement in and out of the axles but an up and down will be play in the wheel bearings. they "wheel bearings" usually sound like your travelling on a gravel road but if the noise changes when turning to the left or right it is a wheel bearing. spin the rear on jack stands for a minute and then take a small magnet and go into the fluid as deep as you can. dont wipe it off but check the lube for very small particles of metal. if you see anything its time to take the carrier assembly out and inspect closer. there is a casting number on the pinion snout to tell what rear you have. most likely a xxxx741 or 742 case. the best and most rare is a xxxx489. do the checks first and we will go from there............good luck........jeff

Post by Guest Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:13 pm

Right now the sound starts at 30+40mph and is most noticeable when off the throttle (well, its a little quieter in the van altogether so I dont know that it get LOUDER when off throttle).

Will check the wheel bearings first (easier and cheaper than rear end Very Happy)

I intend on driving the van long distances so checking the wheel bearings isnt a bad idea to begin with.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 3:06 am