VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
donivan65
sandyvan
panelmanrd
Oblio
8 posters

rear turn signal

Oblio
    Oblio

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2017-06-13

rear turn signal Empty rear turn signal

Post by Oblio Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:22 am

Hey,

New to the forum. Just bought a 1966 G10. Front turn signals work, but rear do not. The rear running lights work. This might sound silly, but where is the rear turn signal? In the backup lights (clear lens) or the running lights (red lens)? Any suggestions as to why rear turn signal not working?
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

rear turn signal Empty Re: rear turn signal

Post by panelmanrd Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:36 am

the rear turn signals use the same bulb and wires as the rear
    brake lights. brake light feed goes through the turn signal switch
    then to the lights when the brake petal is applied. do your brake lights
    work?
    if so sounds like you might need a turn signal switch
    Oblio
    Oblio

Post by Oblio Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:57 am

The rear brake light does not work - or at least it did not get brighter when the brakes were applied. I will double check with a second person watching. So if the front turn signals work, why wouldn't the rear signals work?
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Number of posts : 526
    Registration date : 2011-03-13

Post by sandyvan Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:20 pm

You may need one of these? I paid $20.00 just the other day so you are getting it on sale!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-1965-1966-1967-1968-1969-1970-1971-1972-Chevrolet-Brake-Switch-Stoplight-/122544669411?hash=item1c883b42e3:g:gQMAAMXQlgtS7rUY&vxp=mtr

I had to replace my turn indicator switch too, now everything is working.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:22 pm

,,,,if you want to know how the turn and brake lights work,,,,,here you go,,,,,,,,the handle just pushes the bobby pin to connect the brake light switch to the rear bulbs or to connect the turn signal flasher to each turn signal bulb,,,,,,

rear turn signal Turn_s10
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:08 am

Yes! Those wire "reeds" wear out or get bent...years ago, GM sold them in little bags for Dealer/DIY replacement, but long gone.  Here's a set on eBay right now! http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-5954706-1963-Impala-Bel-Air-63-64-Nova-Turn-Signal-Switch-Contact-Unit-NOS-/132030917150?hash=item1ebda7ea1e:g:7W4AAOSwEzxYTKPd&vxp=mtr   But you may need a whole new switch that is available, lots on eBay, etc.  But check all the wiring from the diagram, look in archives here or get a van shop manual for your van and check all the grounds and the brake light switch too as mentioned.  But don't fret, I think every owner here had those problems when then first get an early van and everyone solves them! Now, you said fronts work but rears don't? That would mean power routing through the switch seems OK and power once engaged is not getting to the rear bulbs...the rear sockets are prone to ground failure and corrosion, and the wires travel through the body back to the housings, those twist on connectors also take a beating from cargo over the years. Get a VOM (meter) and start checking everywhere and the connectors to the rear, many times the connectors fail.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:16 am

OK, look in the archives link at the bottom of this forum menu, the first two posts are the 1st and 2nd gen wiring diagrams, should help you check everything from the column switch back to the rear light housings:  see if these links work.
    https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t25630-first-gen-wiring-diagram

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t25631-second-gen-wiring-diagram

click on the diagrams for a full screen view of each.
    No1rascal
    No1rascal

Number of posts : 306
    Registration date : 2013-02-19

Post by No1rascal Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:17 pm

First thing check ur fuses, IIRC those lights r on a separate fuse. I found that out in my last van when I was installing side panels and accidentally put a screw through the wire that goes to the back of the van. Thats also something u could check on, the wires run on the drivers side where the roof meets the wall.

Good luck.

Scott
    Oblio
    Oblio

Post by Oblio Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:44 pm

So I jiggled the wire harness exiting the steering column and that fixed it. I plan to decouple the connection, clean and maybe use an electronic cleaner of sorts. The next question. Reverse lights work. All blinkers work. Does the van have brake lights? When I apply brakes, the rear lights do not appear to get brighter.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:47 pm

under the brake pedal is the switch,,,,,,,,,it has an arm on it,,,,,,when you step on the brake pedal, it lets the arm down which connects the 2 wires that are on it together,,,,,,this tells the turn signal switch to turn the brake lights on,,,,,,so,,,,,you can,,,,,,,,,,see if the arm goes down,,,,connect the 2 wires together,,,,,,,see if one of the wires got juice on it,,,,,,,,

rear turn signal Dscn0010
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:28 am

donivan65 wrote:under the brake pedal is the switch,,,,,,,,,it has an arm on it,,,,,,when you step on the brake pedal, it lets the arm down which connects the 2 wires that are on it together,,,,,,this tells the turn signal switch to turn the brake lights on,,,,,,so,,,,,you can,,,,,,,,,,see if the arm goes down,,,,connect the 2 wires together,,,,,,,see if one of the wires got juice on it,,,,,,,,

rear turn signal Dscn0010

Those connectors take a beating as does the switch from being exposed through the grill to wind and weather for 50 years....clean them, if they are too far gone from corrosion, they can be replaced with the female half of push together wire crimp connectors.  The switch can be pried open carefully one time to clean the wiper and contacts inside, there are little tabs around the edge.  I did it once.  But replacements are available under $20.  Make sure you got the right dual element bulbs at the rear and the contacts in the housings are clean and check the ground. Do Donnie's test, connect the two connectors together, stick them on a needle nose pliers or similar metal object, the brake lights should work with the power on. BTW, how's your gas gauge working? That's usually the next step with early van ownership! LOL we all been there....
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:53 am

Correct Bulb number(s) are 1034 or 1157
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:24 am

That brake light switch is notorious for failure. The good news is you can get a replacement at Orielly's

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:44 am