VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

turn signal issue

Richie Rich

Number of posts : 45
    Registration date : 2010-11-26

turn signal issue Empty turn signal issue

Post by Richie Rich Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:01 pm

i put in a new turn signal switch 3 months ago. Recently I realized something is wrong. When the lever is in the left position both front and rear lights on the left work properly. When the lever is in the right position both front and rear lights on the right work properly. When the lever is in the neutral position the left rear light flashes.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

turn signal issue Empty Re: turn signal issue

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:12 pm

wires crossed somewhere - might try where it plugs into another plug in checking for proper color codes -also could be in same are something touching another wire? Who makes this & whom from purchased & what van is the application in/for?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:13 pm

Do you have 4 way flashers on that van?
    Richie Rich

Post by Richie Rich Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:58 pm

This is a 65 Chevy van and it does not have flashers.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:26 pm

65 Sportvans would have have flashers,,,,,the switch is under the dash,,,,,Vanishes' 64 has 4 way flashers,,,,,how about brake lights,,,,do they both come on and work like they should with the turn signals on,,,,,,how about the tail lights,,,,are they dim while the turn and brake lights are the brighter filament?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:48 pm

Left rear is the Yellow wire,,,,,,,check it with a test light,,,,,if it is blinking when turn signals are off,,,,,,switch is bad,,,,,wiggle the arm,,,,,see if you get it to shut off,,,,,,this plastic turn signal switch is not very good,,,,,,it could be cracked or warped,,,,,,if you pull off the cancelling collar, you can see where the wire connects to those contact springs in the switch and if it touches the purple wire from the flasher it would flash whenever you turned the key on.......

turn signal issue Repai121
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:30 pm

These turn signal switches are really primitive,,,,,,those pins are connected to the lights,,,,,3 bobby pins control the turn and brake lights,,,,,,the cancelling arm just pushes against them and makes the selected lights come on,,,,,,so everything has to be in PERFECT alignment or the turn signals don't work right

turn signal issue Repai122
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:56 pm

Sounds like a short. If you look at the wiring diagram it shouldn't take to long to figure out by just unplugging things till no short. Then, you've narrowed down what to trace or jump. I've found I can run a jumper wire faster than I can find a short. I know it's cheating but I make some effort to use the same color wire as our vans have such simpler wire colors.

I've rewired most of my vehicle and don't use the auto cancelling cam as I never spent time to line it up. I can cancel them myself. My '65 didn't have 4 ways so I ran a jumper between the green and the yellow wires (in your pic) and ran them to a lighted switch on my steering column platform (the metal that connect the round column to the flat dash). When I flip the switch, it lights up when I have either blinker on or my brakes and blinks all the lights. So essentially I have 3 way emergency lights (2 rear, 1 front), simpler wiring as I didn't like the 4 way conversion and I can get a continuity check on lights and even have my brake lights blink when I hit the brakes. Somehow, it makes the tailgaitors back off. Odd I know yet I'm kind of odd. Good luck!
    ChevyVanMan1

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:58 pm

P.S. If it's a 3 pin jumper switch you'll need to ground it to get it to light up (if it can). Otherwise a 2 pin switch will work okay too.
    ChevyVanMan1

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:34 am

Addenda. Actually using the jumper doesn't make my brake lights blink as I thought they would. However, since I 3 wired the lighted switch (3rd wire is just grounded) I now can see--from the switch--if my taillights are getting power. So, in my book, without the factory 4 way lights I'm pretty happy to have easy 3 ways.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:15 pm

[i]Heres one for the Governor-Donnivan- as I have a origional 67 sportvan- there are no existing 4 way flashers origional to this van - there are no 4 ways shown in any electrical skematic i have from 64-67- I believe from my old memory 4 way flashers were installed in all vehicles in 1968 up - same time they required the side marker lights on all vehicles= also note - many people did install aftermarket 4 way flashers on the older vehicles-ive seen a bunch of that done - please correct me if im wrong about this as Im searching the electrical skematics & none are shown-Thanx=Happy Vannin
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:58 pm

The optional 4 way flashers are a separate unit that plugs into the existing turn signal wiring harness,,,,,and then they started building the switch into the steering column and adding button on the collar. Now the question is can you add the newer turn signal switch with the hazards built into it? How many wires are in the switch and will it fit the original connector?

turn signal issue Nodoor20
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:04 pm

turn signal issue Chevy_69
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:07 pm

[i]Are we sure this was an option on these vans - looks like an add on unit to me ?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:46 pm

,,,,,,I have seen 3 of them with that same switch on them,,,,,Wideload and Vanish have put them on their 1st Gen vans also,,,,,it just hooks up in series with your existing harness,,,,,,and that same switch fits Corvettes and Corvairs, so the connectors are the same,,,,,,A guy could get one and maybe modify his 2nd Gen wiring connector and have 4 ways IF the connectors were different,,,,,,,the 1st Gens have 2 semi circular connectors on their turn signal switches,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:00 pm

,,,,are you saying there is no button on the shift collar for the hazard flashers on your 67? Are there 2 flashers in the fuse block?
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:30 pm

[i]Yes no flasher switch in the column and onlt 1 flasher in the fuse box - and ive also bought another complete witing harness from a 67 that is exactly the same -only 1 flasher in fuse box for turn signals only
    seems like 68 was the 1st year ever for factory installed flasher 4 ways ?? just from my old memory??
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:48 pm

A parts store shows that a 68 turn signal switch also fits a 67,,,,,so there is a possibility that since the button comes off, a guy might install a newer turn signal switch with a hazard switch in his 67 and just drill a hole in the collar to screw the button on,,,,
    Richie Rich

Post by Richie Rich Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:36 am

OK, I've fooled around with this turn signal switch long enough. I want to go with a genaric strap-on turn signal switch. My local stores can't find anything in their books. Does anybody have suggestions, or part numbers?
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2625
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:32 am

Rich,Classic parts (www.classicparts.com ) got one in there 1960 -66 cat for $19,95. No fashers Part #53-551. Hope ir helps.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:41 pm

I got a universal one on my van with a 4 way button on it,,,,,only thing is that it don't automatically cancel after turning,,,,,,

turn signal issue Repai112
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:45 pm

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content