VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Rear Drivers Side Turn Signal Out

tower9
    tower9

Number of posts : 48
    Registration date : 2014-01-03

Rear Drivers Side Turn Signal Out Empty Rear Drivers Side Turn Signal Out

Post by tower9 Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:30 pm

Looking for help chasing a little electrical gremlin I'm having. The drivers side rear turn signal and brake light are not working on m 67 A108, so I bought a new bulb figuring that was probably the culprit; still no luck. The parking light comes on, the driving light comes on but if I step on the brake nothing and if I switch the turn signal nothing. I was thinking that maybe there was grounding issue with the fixture but if that was the case wouldn't the parking/driving light not come on? All other blinkers work, so that would lead me to believe there is nothing wrong with the turn signal relay? I havent had time to try and take any voltage readings at the socket yet, not sure if that would tell me anything. Appreciate any ideas or any direction that I should be looking.
    Gileadgarage
    Gileadgarage

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2013-09-11

Rear Drivers Side Turn Signal Out Empty Re: Rear Drivers Side Turn Signal Out

Post by Gileadgarage Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:38 pm

First see if there is power to that side of the socket when the brake/signal is on. If no, follow the wire and work your way to the front. Sure sounds like that wire is open somewhere.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:07 am

The turn signal switch decides when to turn the brake light or turn signal lights on,,,,,so you need to check there,,,,,,the right rear turn and brake light wire is usually green,,,,,or dark green,,,,,so check at the steering column to see if voltage is leaving the turn signal switch .....a test light at the connector should say the white wire is power from the stop light switch going  INTO the turn signal switch and you should see power coming out of the turn signal switch on the green and yellow wires which are going to the rear brake lights,,,,,,,do the 4 way flasher lights work?
    tower9
    tower9

Post by tower9 Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:16 am

It doesn't blink with the emergency flashers on either; and actually the front on that same side won't blink with the emergency flasher on even though it will blink for the turn signal.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:37 am

The right front turn is probably a light green wire,,,,,,,so I guess when the right front  hazard light don't work the dash arrow also does not flash,,,,,,,but the other left dash light and both left lights work OK?,,,,,,,,,,you say you never seen any life back there from the right rear turn/brake bulb,,,,,,,so send some juice back there by finding the dark green wire on the steering column, which is the wire that goes to the right rear bulb, and see if it lights up,,,,,this will test the bulb, ground and wiring,,,,,,get the juice with a paper clip from the light green wire which should be the blinking right front wire or with a jumper from the fuse box,,,,,,you need to start eliminating possible problems and dial in the problem area,,,,,,if you work that hazard switch 20 times,,,it might clean up the contacts in it and get the right front bulb working again,,,,,but it sure is sounding like a turn signal switch problem,,,,,for the rear,,,,,,hazard switch for the front.......    
    tower9
    tower9

Post by tower9 Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:44 pm

Thanks for all the tips. When i get a chance to tackle the issue I will test for power back at the fixture and if I'm not getting any I will go straight to the turn signal switch and see what going on there, try and jump it like you mention to see if i can get power back there. Im assuming you have to pull the steering wheel to get to the turn signal switch. I need to replace the turn signal switch anyways as the switch doesn't return from either direction and there are no definite stops in either direction (if that makes any sense) you can just kind of rotate it up or down in one continuous motion.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:04 pm

,,,,,you got the plan,,,,,,,but if that turn signal lever is not acting right,,,,,,you have a turn signal switch problem and the Dodge people here can tell you all about it,,,,,,,,
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:42 am

I'm not sure if all the Dodge versions are the same but I believe there are a couple of harness connectors in the Driver side roof rail you can get a hold of if things are still stock. One near the pillar behind the driver seat and one towards the rear before it drops down. With the signal working/not working in the front it may well be the wiring right there in or near the column.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 8:45 am