VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
Big W
Bruce67Econoline
Skulptorchaz
7 posters

My Maiden Voyage - some issues.

Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Number of posts : 326
    Registration date : 2015-05-08

My Maiden Voyage - some issues. Empty My Maiden Voyage - some issues.

Post by Skulptorchaz Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:04 pm

Well, after almost a year, I got to take her out for a spin. All and all, it was OK. Clutch, brakes, handling was all good but there are a couple issues:

She gets hot. I figured I was going to have that issue with the 292 but, I thought the bigger radiator and duel electric fans "might" take care of it, at least in this cooler weather but, no cigar. I am/was going to build a "tunnel" either way but, I guess it has to be sooner than later now. I have a pretty cool design figured out, to utilize that space, and I'll post pix afterwards.
    The other thing was, as I was going down the road, something was beatin and bangin in the back and it sounded about like the suspension was half unhooked and coming out from underneath!! My buddy said it sounded like it was in the walls so I checked it out and it was the latch rods that work off the door handles inside the doors. DAMN it was loud and banged hard. I need to get in there and see how I can tighten them up but I was wondering if you guys were familiar with this and what the fix was.
    The throttle, altho I have 2 springs on it, doesn't like to return all the way. I don't think it's a big issue but, I was wondering if anyone ever adapted a cable. It's what i use in my Hot Rods but, they pull better than push.
    So other than that, I think it was all good. I do want to step up the transmission swap tho. Altho it shifted, "ok", it was not all that and a bag of chips. I want to upgrade to a 700R4 as soon as I can.
    There ya have it! Another good ol' Hippy Van back on the road. Smile Smile
    Peace,
    Chaz
    Bruce67Econoline
    Bruce67Econoline

Number of posts : 809
    Registration date : 2014-01-25

My Maiden Voyage - some issues. Empty Re: My Maiden Voyage - some issues.

Post by Bruce67Econoline Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:31 pm

Congrats on getting it on the road again, My daughter and I just got her 66 Epup back on the road after 6 months. Boy did that put a smile on her face. Next it's suspension for us, Rebuilding it all, Not looking forward the bill for that one.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:00 pm

Congrats Skulptorchaz on getting her back on the road.
    OutofSight
    OutofSight

Number of posts : 1558
    Registration date : 2015-11-19

Post by OutofSight Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:03 am

Well done!
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:12 pm

Great, I answered your querry about the door rod rattle in your other post....search the forums, many have switch to cable throttle set-ups, it can be done.  But go through your whole set up from pedal to carb and check all the bushings and bell cranks, could just be a bind somewhere or rod length adjustment.  Do you have the large return spring under the pedal to the front cowl in place, not just the springs at the carb?  You need a large strong spring there to pull the long linkage rod back. Cooling, my experience is that it all comes down to the radiator. You need a fresh recored or new radiator, any 50 year old radiator will give you problems no matter how many fans are on it. Swapping to a larger engine like a 292 or V8 adds heat and the tunnel option may be the only way to go....
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:50 pm

I'll go back thru the linkage but, I do not remember a spring on the front of the long arm.
    The radiator is for a V-8 and is brand new aluminum. It's also larger and sits a little bit lower (and higher). That should not be the issue. And the fans push 1600 cfm.
    As I said, I was going to do a tunnel anyway, this just pushed it up a bunch. Smile I wanted to get the interior (homemade) lizard skinned and insulated but that is after the tunnel now. I will be looking for insulation ideas as well. (was thinking about spray foam)
    Thanks a bunch!
    Chaz
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Number of posts : 940
    Registration date : 2016-05-06

Post by JackeFriend Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:46 pm

I put a new 4-core with a hamburger fan attached to the belly pan at a 45 toward radiator for added ventilation... I have 350.My Maiden Voyage - some issues. 20160910
    Picture is upside down...
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:11 pm

Do you have a belly pan in place?
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:25 am

Nope. I am planning on a tunnel first and then a belly pan if necessary. I guess I would probably have to make one of them too.
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Number of posts : 940
    Registration date : 2016-05-06

Post by JackeFriend Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:44 am

Skulptorchaz wrote:Nope. I am planning on a tunnel first and then a belly pan if necessary. I guess I would probably have to make one of them too.
    Belly pan on ebay $250... I was lucky found mine at the junk yard $18. They did not even know what it was... finally they just priced it as large metal.
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:03 pm

I couldn't find it.........................and it seems a bit salty.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 4:46 pm