VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
toad
southern man
Sy Hollinshead
elmonto
EconoCarl
Vanner63
10 posters

Maiden run

Vanner63
    Vanner63

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2010-11-11

Maiden run Empty Maiden run

Post by Vanner63 Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:19 am

Well, back in early December of last year I bought a 1963 Econoline pickup. It had been sitting up for about two years and needed some sorting out. Clean fuel tank, brakes all around, tires and a carburetor. Thanks a million to fellow forum member Mike Cook (vanishingbreed) for taking care of the carburetor issue for me. I owe him big time.

Anyway, change all the fluids and check everything over for the state inspection. I had planned on driving it from Yorktown, VA to Portsmouth, VA to get it inspected, about a fifty mile trip one way, as I had other errands to take care of over there also. So this morning at 7:00 am here I go lickedy split for Portsmouth.

Let me tell you what, the noise in the cab reminded me of when I was in the Air Force standing beside a Pratt & Whitney radial engine at full rev. If I had taken the windshield out while driving it at 55 mph I would have had the added effect of prop wash. And steering. Right , like trying to steer a goat with a rope. Damn thing was all over the place. Make a note to self, clean the seat. Basically you look ahead about a quarter of a mile and point it there and hopefully that's where you will be when you get there.

But overall, not bad. No breakdown issues. Ran fine there and back, passed state inspection and I am now going over it to determine what items I need to tweek. One definitely being the steering box. Hope to have it ready for the cruise-ins this summer.

Have a great day and enjoy your rides!

T.W. Day
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Maiden run Empty Re: Maiden run

Post by EconoCarl Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:38 pm

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Econo-lining!!! jocolor
    Just pull the lap belt a little tighter and hang on!

I don't know where your noise is coming from, but when I put a new dog house lid seal on ours it cut the noise down considerably.
    elmonto
    elmonto

Number of posts : 56
    Registration date : 2010-07-09

Post by elmonto Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:54 pm

Nice work! I insulated my doghouse with that metal foil bubble wrap looking stuff and it quieted down a ton and doesnt get hot.
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:35 pm

Excellent report, sounds just like my first drive in mine....

I changed all the suspension bushes and kingpins on mine and it made a vast difference to what direction you are going in....
    Vanner63
    Vanner63

Post by Vanner63 Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:12 am

Yes Crowen, the seat belt got a work out. It kept me in the seat so that I couldn't try to bale out. The panic look on my face that the other drivers must have seen I'm sure was interesting. And you are right Sy, the steering box and other components will be dealt with before another trip even down the lane to the mail box. One scary ride, I'll tell you that.

Post by Guest Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:17 pm

Man, that ride sounds very familiar. Bringing mine back from San Antonio to Austin was like herding drunken cats. I tightened the adjuster on the steering box and it helped. I got back under it to get another adjustment and noticed that the rear spring perches on both front springs were broken!!!!! Yikes!

Glad you got yours on the road. Very cool to see more and more early vans and pickups rolling around.
    Vanner63
    Vanner63

Post by Vanner63 Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:31 am

Yea, Dart thats exactly how it was! One hairy ride. That trip of yours was a loooong ride. I sure some drivers must have thought you were drunk. LOL
    All I can say about mine is that it won't see the road again until I sort a few things out.

Post by Guest Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:03 am

It was a long ride! My fiance and I were white-knuckling it the whole way home. I test drove the van around the seller's neighborhood and it seemed fine. We did the deal and I took off. Once I got above 35, life got really interesting. haha. I wasn't sure we were going to make it. The worst part is, my van has no seat belts. I don't really think we needed them anyway. My butt was so puckered up, I thought I was going to be suction-stuck to that seat for life! I have the new king pins sitting in a box. I just need to get that project done and the front end will be like new.
    southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Post by southern man Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:20 am

When I bought mine 4 years ago it had a drop axle in the front, BADLY done by the previous owner. Like you, I drove it slow speed at first and it seemed fine, but out on the road, look out! I drove that thing a little over 100 miles home, and damn near flipped it on the interstate, hitting an expansion joint on a bridge that set the whole thing rocking and rolling. I thought it was bad, and a lucky save on my part, but my son was following me and I think it scared him more than me. He thought for sure the thing was going to flip - and like you I had no seat belts. Couple that with the fact that mine has NO windows and the rear view mirror on the passenger side was useless. My son and I were communicating by cell whenever I had to move over to the right lane 'cause I was totally blind. I was so happy to get home! But we made it.
    toad
    toad

Number of posts : 355
    Registration date : 2010-05-30

Post by toad Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:08 am

I've taken mine on the freeway once, wow, scary. Set the toe in, it was toed out 1/4". That helped, but still needs gear box adjusted and king pins replaced. Not to mention the 4.00 gear, my little 170 screaming at 65 mph. toad
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:13 pm

Years back- when i built my 56 pickup- the steering did the same - yet box & kingpins were good - nothing else was bad- an old autoparts owner sait I needed a Steering stabilizer-Im thinking Yae -I bet?? Just wanting to sell me something else!! - So I bought it- like a shock mounted to axle & steering linkage. It worked!! Still on the truck for the past 30 years- never had another problem- just some experiences for ya.
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:47 pm

Did the Econolines have one of those steering shocks as standard...? Mine has one just like you mentioned Twinpilot..
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Post by Casimier Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:10 pm

Gettin ready for my maiden voyage in the Casimier Van....
    just did the brakes and ready to put on the wheels!
    Vanner63
    Vanner63

Post by Vanner63 Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:31 pm

Oh boy, Casimier. If you have family or pets buy life insurance. LOL Let us know how it goes.
    Vanner63
    Vanner63

Post by Vanner63 Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:34 pm

Looking at all the pics of your Econoline's you all have some nice looking rides. Have each of you sorted out your steering issues to your satisfaction?
    lectricman
    lectricman

Number of posts : 339
    Registration date : 2010-04-07

Post by lectricman Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:26 pm

My steering has alot of play in it in the 62... In my first one, a 63, I had replaced everything up front and was very happy with it... tie rods, king pins, drag link, ect... I didn't have to mess with the steering box... I hope to do this one the same way eventually...
    rhysaccess
    rhysaccess

Number of posts : 103
    Registration date : 2010-02-07

Post by rhysaccess Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:56 pm

Ahhhh.......good to see I'm not alone.

Yes - the scarey ride. I've Had a few in the Econoline.

After re-doing just about everything (the subject of earlier posts) the van became useable. Not as good as my Rampside - but useable and fun.

It's at the point now where little things, and subtle changes ...make a big difference with the van. Despite adjusting the steering, it still needs some work as it wanders a bit and is not all that "relaxing" at freeway speeds.

I'm wondering if these steering dampers help a bit?

Regards,
    Rhys
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:17 pm

They do - install one - you will never regret it!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:10 am