VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
AzDon
Vantasia
Joe Van
dan nachel
Bobert
9 posters

Radiator fan questions?

Bobert
    Bobert

Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2015-04-04

Radiator fan questions? Empty Radiator fan questions?

Post by Bobert Fri May 08, 2015 1:01 pm

Ok, so my radiator fan has a small piece missing from one of its blades. Is this a major issue, that I need to replace the fan? Also, can you recommend a replacement fan for it, the auto parts tore guy recommended a fan, but then said I need a 2 inch adapter for it, and there aint room for an extra 2 inches in there. Currently it looks like I have a 6 blade 18.5 inch belt driven fan in there. Here is a pic of the damage if that helps.

Radiator fan questions? 20150516
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Radiator fan questions? Empty Re: Radiator fan questions?

Post by dan nachel Fri May 08, 2015 4:29 pm

At worst, the fan will be out of ballance, which could ruin the bearings in the water pump. Look for a replacementat the junk yard or put an electrical fan on
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Fri May 08, 2015 5:22 pm

dan nachel wrote:At worst, the fan will be out of ballance, which could ruin the bearings in the water pump. Look for a replacementat the junk yard or put an electrical fan on
    I agree with Dan plus if any more of it breaks off there is a "Good" chance it will hit and damage your radiator..!!!..It looks like a older flex fan you can use the same style available at "Summit Racing" just make sure it has the rounded blades and not the pointed ones that are used for racing only..!!!..                             http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g4918

Post by Bobert Sat May 09, 2015 2:36 am

Well my water pump is leaking, could be age, could be fan. Either way I have a new pump, and if that fan will fit, I'll be ordering it soon as well. Thank you.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Sat May 09, 2015 6:40 am

Probably leaking from the unbalanced fan tearing up the seal,  Get a rebuilt or new water pump, easy to find for the Chevy sixes and ask around for a stock 5-blade steel fan, all you need, might even find one on eBay, I've seen them from time to time, if you can't find one, get the replacement suggested. BTW, IMHO you might as well take out the radiator while you do the pump, easy to do, drops right down, no need for a lift, and it will make it much easier to do the pump and fan, plus take the radiator to a shop and have it boiled out or if its too far gone (clogged) have it re-cored,(a flow test they do will tell you right away what the status of your 50 year old radiator is) you will be glad you did this all at the same time. Cooling these vans is one of the most important issues to deal with with the engine. Also with the radiator and pump out, check the condition of the harmonic balancer, (the rubber inserted crank pulley) below the pump, again, its 50 years old, make sure its tight and turns true...
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Thu May 21, 2015 1:26 pm

That fan is aftermarket and SCARY!....I wouldn't run the engine even one more time until replacing it. I've seen the results of flying fan parts on different vehicles and just wouldn't take a chance so close to where I sit!
    If they still make those flex fans with plastic/fiberglass blades, I would instead choose one with metal blades
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu May 21, 2015 1:57 pm

Flex fans are made to straighten out and quit pulling air to let the air flowing through the grille on a NORMAL car take over  to save on  horsepower,,,,,,we aint normal,,,,,,,,this is what I am running to be cool,,,,,

Radiator fan questions? Cool10
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Fri May 22, 2015 4:11 am

donivan65 wrote:Flex fans are made to straighten out and quit pulling air to let the air flowing through the grille on a NORMAL car take over  to save on  horsepower,,,,,,we aint normal,,,,,,,,this is what I am running to be cool,,,,,

Agreed! I run re-cored stock radiator with factory 5-blade fan and run cool.
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Fri May 22, 2015 4:34 am

Stock 1st gens have a 4 blade fan
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Fri May 22, 2015 6:18 am

savage wrote:Stock 1st gens have a 4 blade fan
    Unless it was changed, my '64 has a 5-blade on the 194 and I think some of the manual pics show a 4 or 5, not sure what the diff was? maybe dealer retrofitted around '67 to help owner with cooling?
    Bobert
    Bobert

Post by Bobert Fri May 22, 2015 6:26 am

donivan65 wrote:Flex fans are made to straighten out and quit pulling air to let the air flowing through the grille on a NORMAL car take over  to save on  horsepower,,,,,,we aint normal,,,,,,,,this is what I am running to be cool,,,,,

OK so flex fans bad, got it. Any idea where I can pick up a fan like this on then? Links are always super helpful. I really gotta say I appreciate all the help you guys are giving me though.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri May 22, 2015 6:51 am

how about take the old waterpump to a wrecking yard and get a fan that fits on it
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri May 22, 2015 7:19 am

Leave it all as is - then get ready to learn a =LESSON!! affraid Seriously do it just like a honeymoon= " Get Her =DONE"!! Twisted Evil
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Fri May 22, 2015 9:49 am

Bobert wrote:

OK so flex fans bad, got it. Any idea where I can pick up a fan like this on then? Links are always super helpful. I really gotta say I appreciate all the help you guys are giving me though.
    I just searched eBay for Chevy 5 blade fan and about a dozen like this show up at reasonable prices...
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Fri May 22, 2015 10:42 am

That style of 5-blade fan pulls a ton of air and usually has a big hole in the center for the fan clutch flange to pass through.....
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Fri May 22, 2015 11:00 am

my 64 had a 194 powerglide and had the same fan
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Fri May 22, 2015 6:14 pm

If you look at the GM Heritage Center specs for these vans, the only engine shown with a 5-blade fan is a 230 High Performance Chevy Van six, the standard 230 six and 194 are shown with the 4-blade, even the later 292 is shown with only a 4-blade, so I think the vans came with 5 blades for better cooling, the pickups used the 4 blade. The van engine also had higher compression ratio than the truck engines, go figure....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:58 pm