VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Radiator/Running hot questions...

billski
    billski

Number of posts : 262
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Radiator/Running hot questions... Empty Radiator/Running hot questions...

Post by billski Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:19 am

For those of you who may or may not know I have a 350 V-8 in my van. Over the 5 years I have owned it, it would run cooler in stop and go traffic and hotter on the highway (higher r.p.m.s). I have since put a 200-4r automatic with overdrive to lower highway r.p.m.s, which it has done, but now the van is running hotter no matter what - not to the point of overheating yet but it also hasn't been a very hot summer here. Also, with the new trans, the trans cooler was mounted in front of the radiator. So far I flushed out the entire cooling system installed a new 165 degree thermostat and coolant/water mix - still wants to creep up to 210 degrees. I have a fan that kicks on at about 165 degrees and never shuts off after that. I know my problem could be my radiator. Now come my questions: Is there any reason a new auto trans would affect running temp? Is there a way to tell if my radiator is really for a 6 cylinder? If it is the radiator has anyone found a (somewhat) guaranteed yet affordable replacement radiator fix? Any other thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance. Billski
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Radiator/Running hot questions... Empty Re: Radiator/Running hot questions...

Post by G-Man Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:35 am

I can't tell you why you are having heat problems for sure, but bet the radiator is the reason. Check at a local shop to see what it will cost to recore your radiator to a 3 or 4 core.
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by mo_1040 Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:03 pm

My 92 chevy truck was doing the same thing...would sit around 210 but I'd rev it up then it would cool down a bit then right back up to 210. Replacing the rad cap fixed my problem. The old cap was probably only about 6 months old?! Maybe you'll get lucky like I did Question
    wdaguy
    wdaguy

Number of posts : 155
    Registration date : 2009-02-10

Post by wdaguy Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:22 pm

can I recore my stock 65 radiator? how wide will it become? I mean it is 1/2 inch from the fan and the sway bar is 3/4 inch from the front of the radiator? I once ordered a Griffin but it was for 67-70 I didnt want to cut my doghouse out...yes I have a pusher fan on it
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:30 pm

And would that pusher fan be jammed up between the front of the radiator and doghouse blocking off the air flow????? Here is the stock radiator with 3 rows of tubes. They all use the same tanks,,,,,and a 3 row would be like 1 7/8 " thick through the fins. Probably 1/4" closer to the fan than a 2 row. But #1 rule is MAKE SURE you got a good radiator,,,,,if not,,, YOU ARE DONE FOR,,,,,,,,

Radiator/Running hot questions... Cool11
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:34 pm

And each Gen has 2 flavors of stock radiators,,,,,,

Radiator/Running hot questions... Cool_a10
    billski
    billski

Number of posts : 262
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by billski Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:41 pm

Thanks guys! I will most likely re-core or replace my radiator. And I forgot to mention, I also replaced the radiator cap when I did the radiator flush and it, obviously, didn't help.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 am