VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

converting fomr single master clyinder to dual

DannyDodge
    DannyDodge

Number of posts : 77
    Registration date : 2008-06-02

converting fomr single master clyinder to dual Empty converting fomr single master clyinder to dual

Post by DannyDodge Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:31 pm

what are all the parts i need

master cylinder
    proportioning valve
    anything else

converting fomr single master clyinder to dual Empty Re: converting fomr single master clyinder to dual

Post by Guest Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:40 pm

Master cyl Cardone Select p/n 131323M (Brand new) They're $35 thorugh Rockauto.com. Much nicer than remans.

You may need to modify the rad. support just a bit to fit the larger master cyl. into place..it's longer.

A good tubing bender and flare tool of course.

For your brake light switch, you can either go with the 68-up style which is a mechanical switch that mounts under the front floor or somehow plumb the early style hydraulic switch in. I prefer the mechanical switch....much nicer install. Brian Bowie has the switch brackets for sale and the switch p/n is Mopar 2824550. I may have an extry I can sell you if you want to go that route.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

converting fomr single master clyinder to dual Empty Re: converting fomr single master clyinder to dual

Post by donivan65 Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:01 pm

You don't need a proportioning valve unless you put front disks on it. Napa will have armour wound already made up bendable universal brake lines in various sizes.
    oo3

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post by oo3 Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:42 pm

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/between-the-seats-a-f16/dual-master-conversion-t1661.htm -
    info here - from the how to - or between the seats section - oo3

Post by Guest Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:00 am

Yes..no proportioning valve needed, but there is the distribution block mounted on the frame on 67-up models. Not sure 64-66 models have them or not. It basically houses the brake system warning light.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:37 pm

What's the point of a brake warning light anyway? To tell me when I'm depressing the brake pedal?

Who needs that? I'm not stupid!! I can tell when I'm pushing on the brake pedal!!

No other car I own or have ever owned (including plenty of vintage iron) has such a light, or a working light I should say. What a waste of time!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:24 pm

Its a good thing to have if you have a dual line master cylinder. Both lines from the master cylinder go through it. The idea is that if the pressure in both lines are equal, the switch in that block is in its neutral position. But if something in one of the brake lines goes wrong, unequal pressure causes the switch to ground out and make the brake light on the dash come on. And its kind of nice to know you have lost 1/2 your brakes before you find out the hard way. They sometimes tie the parking brake into this light to let you know the parking brake is on in newer vehicles. So its a good thing,,,,,you surely can leave it out when you are converting a single line to a dual line.
    gmytych

Number of posts : 110
    Registration date : 2008-06-18

Post by gmytych Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:40 am

converted mine over a couple years back.
    very easy to do. stop on by and take a look if you want.
    Mytch

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 12:33 am