VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
donivan65
itruns
benwah
savage
oo3
9 posters

dual master conversion

oo3

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

dual master conversion Empty dual master conversion

Post by oo3 Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:46 am

my 66 a100 has a slow leak in the brake master cylinder - would like to convert to dual type - what all does it take to do so - oo3
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

dual master conversion Empty Re: dual master conversion

Post by savage Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:19 pm

I don't think I ever read anything on doing one on a A. But I bet one of the Dodge guts here knows all about it.
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:40 am

its not too hard to do, you will need to change the brass equliser with a late model 67-70 model van or any dual master drum brake mopar, you will have to trim the radiator houseing mount bracket and radiator housing to accomadate the longer master cyl. how are your brake lights hooked up is there a switch on the pedal or a pressure swich ?my 65 has a pressure switch - not sure what they used in 66 mabee Nate would know,..
    oo3

Post by oo3 Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:09 am

looks like i have a pressure switch - i know there was some info on the yahoo a100 site - but with my main computer down i lost my bookmark and i can never remember the link - and even when i try and google it i seem to come up with a different yahoo a100 site with a bunch of ad postings? - anyways it would be good to have this info over here maybe even in the how to section - oo3
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:38 pm

Hey oo3:

You may have to sign up to the site to see the pictures, but it's worth it. Nate did a very good job and makes it pretty clear. He said to use a distribution block from a bone yard. I dont know if thats required. Maybe to balance the pressures? I thought you can just make a splice to the rears and plug a port in the original distribution block.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49930&highlight=master+cylinder

Rockauto.com shows some master cylinders for '68s, but I don't know if they are OK to use (too tall?).

The mechnical switch should be easy to connect to the pedal. Hot rodders use them.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:49 pm

1st of all you need to replace all the brake lines and hoses if you want to be safe,,,,,you don't want to be trusting your life to 40 year old brake lines and hoses. I would probably think the brake line system is that it comes out of the master cylinder, goes to a T fitting, one side would go to the LF wheel, the other goes to another T for the RF wheel and then goes to the rear where it hits another T for the lines to the rear wheels. What you need to do is make up 2 systems. One line from the master cylinder goes to a T and then run each brake line to each front wheel. Then run the other line on the master cylinder all the way back to the T and the 2 rear brake lines. Napa is a good place for the brake lines and fittings that you will need. The biggest problem is to get the brake lines to fit the master cylinder.
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:07 pm

all dual systems should have a proportioning valve somewhere. usually just beside or below the master cylinder. find one , get one. where your master bolts on usually has the bigger resiovoir and that side is for the front brakes and the smaller one furthest away from the mount flange is for the rear brakes. your valve should have 4 fittings, 2 from the master, and 2 out to the wheels, front and rear. do what donivan65 said replace all lines now and you should have 2 lines to hook up from the wheels and two from the master into the valve when ready. might take a while to bleed but a better brake system it is.proportioning valve from an 80's to early 90's half ton pickup should be fine. brake lite switch for the lights means be creative and look under the dash of some junkers to see how they hookup and adapt that to your truck.

Post by Guest Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:31 pm

It's my understanding that dual master cylinders with one larger reservoir and one smaller are for vehicles with disc brakes up front, circa 1967 up.

A dual master cylinder for all drum vehicles will have two reservoirs the same size, and there is no need for a proportioning valve because all four wheels will take the same pressure. You can use one with mismatched size reservoirs, but you don't need it.

If you're adding discs up front, then you need a proportioning valve hooked to the rear drums to throttle the pressure going to the rear drums or they will lock up before the front brakes. Factory proportioning valves are designed with the vehicle they came from in mind. So if you install one from a large truck, it's not right for a small light van. An aftermarket adjustable one is what you should install, so you can fine tune it to the vehicle, espcially true if you're carrying a load in the back of your van.

How to plumb the front lines. These photos are using an open junction block, not a factory proportioning valve. If your junction block is not open inside, this won't work!
    dual master conversion Jb110
    OLD CONFIGURATION

dual master conversion Jb210
    NEW CONFIGURATION
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:58 pm

It all depends on how much of an upgrade you are doing. You need to get away from that single , 1 line feeds all 4 wheels, master cylinder, with drums. You only need a combination valve if you put disks up front because the drums and disks run on different pressures. Or instead of a combination valve, you can use an adjustable proportioning valve with additional Check/metering valves like the hot rodders use. We are inventing systems for the Vans, so you try to find a similar size and newer type vehicle to get the parts off. And thats right about a master cylinder, if you have disks its best to have them connected to the bigger reservoir side in the master cylinder, disks displace a lot of fluid when the pads wear down, so you want more fluid available for them,,,if you have the choice,,,,the other one just needs fluid checking and refilling more often.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:24 pm

And if you are looking for parts,,,,,you can see that the 71-77 Dodge Van uses a 1971 Chevy Van dual line disk brake master cylinder. And that 71 Chevy Van uses the 67-70 Chevy Van master cylinder if it don't have front disks, so these are all related. And this would be the Master Cylinder that I use on my 65 Chevy Van for my front disks along with a 1971 Chevy Van Combination Valve.

dual master conversion 3rd_ge10

Post by Guest Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:33 pm

Bore size is important too. The smaller the bore, the easier it is to push the brake pedal down. Personally I like a nice hard stiff pedal, not a soft spongy one...so 1 1/8" bore is good. Master cylinders designed for use with a brake booster are usually smaller bore, like 15/16".
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:49 pm

It works the opposite. The bigger bore is for power brakes, the smaller is for manual brakes. You get more pressure with the smaller bore but you get more volume with the bigger bore. I know if you use a manual master cylinder with a booster, the brakes are real sensitive. My bore is 1 1/8" because I wanted more volume for the front disks. And that makes my brake pedal height right up at the top. The manual bores are 1". But I guess if you have a big enough foot, you probably wouldn't be able to notice any difference.

Post by Guest Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:34 am

Okay, you might be right about "Master cylinders designed for use with a brake booster are usually smaller bore, like 15/16". Only certain years of Mopar MC's fall into this category. I believe '73-76 dual mc for power brakes.

But, I still maintain that a smaller master cylinder piston will exert more line pressure with the same amount of force (pedal ratio) than a master cylinder piston with a larger piston area. That means the smaller bore makes for a lighter pedal.

If you're reading this, do your homework and don't depend on what either of us are saying as Gospel. Smile
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:03 am

I don't how much a difference the bore size really makes when we put disks on our vans. Our braking system is so primitive that anything is an improvement. But when I look up a master cylinder for a car, I find that the master cylinder with power brakes has the larger bore than the one listed for with out power brakes. But The brake shoe, wheel cylinder and drum size could effect what bore size needed on a master cylinder. So we just keep hanging out here waiting for new information and ideas that keep coming all the time.

Post by Guest Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:45 pm

I'm just going with some known Mopar stuff I've read and used on my '65 Barracuda. I upgraded to discs on it, along with a dual master and an adjustable proportioning valve. I used a 1 1/8" bore master and it's got a nice stiff pedal, the way I like it.

Also, I believe in 1967 Dual master cylinders were mandated...if that's the case, there must be a dual master that will fit into the small space of where my single one currently is, right? Without body modification?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:35 pm

Thats what I got on my Van and I like it. It is a 1 1/8" bore Master Cylinder. The 2nd Gen master cylinder is a 1" bore. I was looking for the a master cylinder that acted like power brakes when I was putting disk brakes on my van. I would of thought that a bigger bore meant easier to push, but after checking some car applications, the power brake master cylinders had the bigger bore, which I think makes them harder to push so they need a booster on them. So right now I am thinking the smaller bore has a more Power Brake feeling than a bigger bore. I am kind of thinking the bigger bore master cylinder takes a bigger shoe size to stop as compared to a smaller bore. I guess if you know some Physics, you might be able to determine the output pressures and volumes that each type of master cylinder puts out. I am not yet convinced that bigger is better when it comes to master cylinders. But we will eventually find out from someone here.
    jkr
    jkr

Post by jkr Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:02 pm

some schooling on pascal's law is in order i guess.????
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:24 pm

Did he have an Early? One of the problems is that our master cylinder sits so low that the brake fluid drains back into the master cylinder so it takes more of a pedal stroke to pressurize the system. And this leads to a low pedal feeling. So the bigger bore pushes more fluid so the pedal rides higher. Thats why the hot rodders, with the master cylinders mounted real low put in residual check valves to keep the fluid from draining back. So I would rather have a high pedal than an easy one on mine. But it depends on if you are going to buy a brand new kit or try and patch together different parts for your vehicle. ,,,,,,How much does one of those store bought disk brake kits cost,,,,,,maybe more than your van??

dual master conversion Check13
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:33 pm

I might be off here, but if you put 100 lbs of pressure on a 1" bore you get 100 divided by 3.1415 (pi x 1" dia.) = 31.83 lbs/sq inch. 1 1/8" bore gets you 100 divided by 3.534 (pi x 1.125" dia.) = 28.29 lbs/sq inch.

Does that still apply to the master cylinder funneling the fluid down to a 5/16" tube? Common sense would seem to suggest that 100 lbs of force applied to the master cylinder still transfers (almost) 100 lbs of force to the 4 wheel cylinders (or calipers).

The bore diameter might only affect the sensitivity (or modulation) and pedal travel because you can only shoot so much fluid into the wheel cylinders.

A larger bore may be required to displace the much larger piston in the caliper without having to lengthen the stroke.

Literally flunked H.S. Physics, but this stuff gets me going.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:45 pm

So with all those fine calculations, does it seem that the smaller bore exerts more pressure with everything being equal? That would be what I am interested in,,,,,when you hit the brakes which size bore will put out more pressure,,,,,,,
    jkr
    jkr

Post by jkr Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:50 pm

bottom line is - you want a dual master cylinder make a couple changes in your plumbing add a proportioning valve and a dual master cylinder. you will get used to the feel of the pedal. most masters come with residual valves in place ,just look in the fitting holes. the proportioning valve will shift if you break a line or hose and still give you some breaking albeit reduced if it is working at all. they also have the switch for a system malfunction, that lite on the dash somewhere. consult PASCAL'S LAW under google for the mathmatics to deterime the pressures at the master and wheel cylinders.
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:31 pm

Unless your converting to front disc / rear drums, you don’t need a Proportioning Valve. The four-drum setup with a dual master cylinder takes a Distribution Block, often confused with the Proportioning Valve.

On the 2nd Gen. Chevy’s,
    Brake fluid enters the Distribution Block from both ends from the master cylinder. The front brakes are fed from one side of the Distribution Block, and the rear brakes are fed from the other. In the center of the valve is a barbell looking piece that slides to the low-pressure side of the valve. If the pressure drops on one side it slides and makes contact with a switch that causes the dash brake light to light up.

dual master conversion Distri12

Although I’m not a Dodge / Fargo owner, it seems to me that the setup would be the same.
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:12 pm

(Insert Homer Simpson impression here) DOOH!

Area of circle = Pi x r squared , NOT Pi x diameter (you idiot, no wonder you can't seem to make any money)

Sorry guys.

Here's some mental exercises for you:
    http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/WindTunnel/Activities/Pascals_principle.html
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:45 pm

That Chevy distribution block is an improvement to a braking system. But you need a 2 line master cylinder if you want to use the pressure differential switch part that puts the brake warning light on the dash if it senses a problem. And that could be a good thing. But what we are trying to say, if you have trouble finding Ford or Dodge brake line fittings, these are more readily available. And they all do the same thing,,,,they just look different.
    oo3

Post by oo3 Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:09 pm

i see that cardone 101323 mc comes in regular or power brake version - and it is for 67 and later vans and other cars also - lots of great info thanks - i will start getting my pieces together - nate if you check in any chance you could post those pics from the dodgetalk forum here ? - oo3

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:59 pm