VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

dual master cylinder cover question

61v100
    61v100

Number of posts : 29
    Registration date : 2013-11-12

dual master cylinder cover question Empty dual master cylinder cover question

Post by 61v100 Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:31 am

Finally got the frount end done, (disc brake kit , king pins, tie rod ends, etc) and starting to run new lines to a dual master Cylinder. The old cover for single M.C. dont allow me to check the fluid level without going under the van. I have read here that 68 and newer vans had the dual M.C.. does anyone have a pict of the cover. I should be able to fab something similar.
    A100 Wrench
    A100 Wrench

Number of posts : 572
    Registration date : 2013-05-12

dual master cylinder cover question Empty Re: dual master cylinder cover question

Post by A100 Wrench Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:47 am

The dual master hole still doesn't allow full access.You are better off to make a large enough hole and fab a cover,attachment,and seal to suit your needs.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

dual master cylinder cover question Empty Re: dual master cylinder cover question

Post by RodStRace Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:55 am

I agree. The later ones have an oval cover with a corresponding recessed hole in the floor. The lid is not easily accessed or removed through the hole. I'd look through the local wrecking yards for an access cover and floor flange from something else and weld that in, or fabricate one.
    I would not suggest just chopping a hole in the floor and having a flat cover. It should have a flanged edge for strength.
    61v100
    61v100

Number of posts : 29
    Registration date : 2013-11-12

Post by 61v100 Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:14 pm

Thanks gentleman, the search is on. Definitely not going to hack and slash anything on this van.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:33 pm

61V100 If you have every thing done and the brakes are bleed then you only need to access it once a year, all i did was use a turkey baster to fill up the reservoir. Yea it's a little pain but a lot less than removing, cutting, welding . It works for me,

Number of posts : 246
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

dual master cylinder cover question Empty Dual master cylinder, another question.

Post by BADBADGER Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:54 am

My 67 100 was a junk yard find. The MC was not on it. I had two other vans to pick parts off. When i got around to the brakes I purchased a new MC from Napa to match the MC off of a 68. It is a dual MC. Im considering doing the disc conversion discussed on the scare bird thread. So the question is will the dual MC that is now on the 67 work with the conversion, and was the original MC on a 67 a single
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:15 am

THE 68/69/70 mc will not work you would need the 71/72/73 dodge (B) van mc. It had drum rears and disc fronts. BUT did not have a booster and did not have power brakes, just front disc, Altho this mc is larger and some cutting will be required to install the mc, but it will work , Once everything is removed you can cut the top access opening larger if you wish. But you don't have to access is limited but with a old turkey baster you can fill the mc with little effort. provided you have no leaks you should not have to access it but once a year, hope this helps...

Number of posts : 246
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

dual master cylinder cover question Empty Dual master cylinder

Post by BADBADGER Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:33 am

Thanks for clearing that up, helps alot.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:12 am